geefree

SUNLIGHT SMEARS
« on: September 07, 2006, 11:46:45 pm »
Hi all

I cleaned a nice house today, posh large detached bungalow, did a real nice job, made sure no smears etc, as you do bobbing your head around to see if you have missed anything etc... nope! perfect.

The sweet lady was very pleased and invited me in for a cup of tea,... i was chatting away to her when i turned my head to look into the lounge and    ... BANG!..... the sun was shining into the lounge and all i could see was smears smears smears.... thought oh christ!..... what do i do,..?

I left and went to my van,.... when she had shut the door i got my scrim out and went back to the window, to sort these smears out.... didnt need to

IT WAS PERFECT NOT ONE SMEAR,   

can anyone please tell me why the sun was so cruel to me from inside?.. and what must these people think when the sun shines after i have gone.?... is it fairy.

Gary.

geefree

Re: SUNLIGHT SMEARS
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 12:13:04 am »
I KNOW ,,, DAFT BUT WAS A .. HAD TO BE THERE MOMENT :)

jouk45

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 12:15:30 am »
ARE YOU SURE THE SMEARS WHERE  NOT COMMING FROM INSIDE, WHEN THE SUN HIT THE GLASS, MAYBE THE CUSTOMER HAD PREVIOUSLY CLEANED THE INSIDE WITH WINDOLENE OR SOMETHING, AND HAD NOT WIPED IT PROPERLY,

Pat Purcell

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 12:25:05 am »
gazza if you were to explain in minute detail how you go about cleaning a window maybe a few of the people on here could advise you on what you are doing right and what may need improvement
Boston USA    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>   Cork Ireland

david68

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 01:01:27 am »
I had that, so i thought.
But it was loads of inside scratches, must have been done by the old lady.
God knows what she cleans the inside's with (Maybe a sander)

Dave

David

www.ccwin.co.uk

My learning hobby
www.dbritweb.com

gaza

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 01:21:42 am »
most of it will be inside not cleaned properly.not your fault Im sure.

be honest and say to her the last time I cleaned your windows I NOTICED ALOT OF SMEARS I think they was from the inside  do you mind if I do one window inside while I drink my tea. just to satisfy my curiousity. get out of jail card .

gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

david68

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 01:23:54 am »
Good point gaz
David

www.ccwin.co.uk

My learning hobby
www.dbritweb.com

Ian_Giles

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 06:08:31 am »
As others have said, it may well be on the inside, particularly if they are the type of smears that are left behind when large panes are cleaned with a scrim or microfibre cloth.

However.....

If the sun is at the right angle, and it is intense enough, you will see every pass from the squeegee!! :o!!

There is ALWAYS, repeat, ALWAYS a residue left behind, but you have to have the right conditions to be able to see it.

Clean the inside of a conservatory where the people who live there smoke (I only use the example of a conservatory because of the high light levels) not even heavy smokers.
you will walk away from the job where the glass may look absolutely pristine, but within a couple of weeks (or a month later) when you look at these windows again the tar and smoke particles will have began settle on the glass and now in almost any kind of lighting you will see every pass you made with the squeegee the month before, every rub of you scrim, every kick of the squeegee you never realised you had at the time....
The residue left behind is sticky and dust and smoke particles will settle on it.

This is not a critisism of anyone, it is a simple fact, get the conditions just right and you will see!!

Things you can do to reduce this effect are to ensure you are using rubbers that are not worn, make sure you have only just enough detergent in your water, the more suds you have in your water the more residue will be left behind.

some of you may well put a healthy dollop of fairy liquid in the water, your squeegee will glide over the glass lovely :D But its not good!
If you put your hand in your water and then rub your fingers together and there is a slimy feel to it, then you have WAY TO MUCH detergent in your water!!

So don't beat yourself up over it, it sounds like you have done the job correctly to me...

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

jeff1

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 06:45:28 am »
I did a bungalow in and out yesterday and I had the same problem, but I was on the out side, gave it a good check over before i went inside and nothing,
when I was in the front room I could see the smears before I got to the window, after cleaning them I had a hell of a job getting it right, smears every were, after a conversation with the customer I found that she doe's her dusting with a spray polish and then uses the same cloth to wipe her windows. so mr sheen has a lot to answer for.

gaza

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 08:25:51 pm »
HAS EVERYONE FORGOT THE SUN IS LOWER IN THE SKY EXCUSE?

GAZA
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

JM123

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 08:45:46 pm »
or the 'what have you been putting in your tea excuse!! :D
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

matt

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 08:48:06 pm »
i dont care how good you are, catch the sun at the right angle and you will see squeege lines and kicks and smears