drew86

squegee with extender pole
« on: September 06, 2006, 09:28:31 pm »
Hi all got my first clean on a comercial tomorow, otside wfp, inside trad, only prob is for me is going to have to do main reception area with an extender pole at about 3 meters, never had to use an extender pole before, had a practise on my upstairs windows today but kept getting smear lines.
Any advice from you trad boys would be appreciated, also do you detail when working like this, if so how.
Drew.
It was this big.

Clear Vision

Re: squegee with extender pole
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 09:37:50 pm »
Make sure there Is plenty of suds on the glass and use a new rubber!!!!

Don't soap up right to the top. Leave a gap of about 1 Inch.

If you don't feel that confident to start with wipe your squeegee with a slightly damp cloth after every downwards pull If that makes sense?

Matthew

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 09:41:44 pm »
and put a slightly damp  folded scrim on the pole after and wipe the top 1"

drew86

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 09:49:03 pm »
Thanks guys,yes Mathew I get what your saying, I was actualy doing that almost when practising today, but I was useing a dry scrim to wipe, will damp it tomorrow.
Should I leave a gap at the edges to as I seem to leave a loy of suds in this area.
Drew.
It was this big.

james cairns

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 09:58:45 pm »
new rubber and gg3 keeps suds down

if not available keep an inch in sides and top

jinky

drew86

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 10:12:09 pm »
Hi Jinky cheers, got gg4, hard water here in cambs.
Drew
It was this big.

geefree

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 10:13:18 pm »
oh no
you mean to say that i can do the windows over porches  etc, where i cant get a ladder... with an extended pole with applicator and sqeegie... all this time i been avoiding them houses with my leaflets too.

james cairns

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 10:23:07 pm »
gazza try and get one of the lads on the forum to take you out for a day

it will advance you miles and stop you pulling your hair out trying to work out solutions

hope this helps --- alll you have to do is ask

jinky

captain lard

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 10:24:35 pm »
I got an unger telescopic pole a couple of weeks ago,it worked well on 2 bedroom windows over the top of a conservatory but then tried it on another bedroom window and it didnt work well at all but this was a much bigger conservatory and the pole was extended more and it just wouldnt  sqeegee as I couldnt get an angle to apply enough pressure.

Good luck mate,without a conservatory in the way you will be laughing!!

geefree

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 10:34:10 pm »
thanks you two, yes i do struggle sometimes , i am gaining customers steadily with all your help and ideas,

but i really should go with someone for a day..... any offers west yorkshire?.......lol.

GARY.

drew86

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 10:34:15 pm »
Shouldn't be that difficult 42 panes set together each pane about 3 foot square, I love this site as when you are a newbie like me and you come up against something you haven't done before you just ask and you learn the little secrets that can make the job easier that would take you years to learn.
Thanks Drew.
It was this big.

captain lard

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 10:34:32 pm »
oh no
you meam to say that i can do the windows over porches  etc, where i cant get a ladder... with an extended pole with applicator and sqeegie... all this time i been avoiding them houses with my leaflets too.

Dont talk to me about porches,lady who I clean for told me her daughter lives on a new estate and no cleaner,lads keep starting up and vanishing,so I say i will go round ,am driving over thinking this could make me,posh estate,no cleaner,I am going in and am going to price them right and reap the rewards of hard work and householders gagging for a clean.Get there and as soon as I look around its a nightmare.Porches over front doors,porches over garage doors and locked back gates.
Total access nightmare.
i have a pole but it is in my inexperienced hands awkward to use and the results a re a bit iffy,having said that practise will improve it but its going to really add to the job time.There was a handful of houses where there was no porch issue but they didnt want to know as I think the dole brigade must have been before and done them for nowt and tainted it for a proper cleaner.

geefree

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2006, 10:40:46 pm »
im sure it will get easier with practice, im off to get one tomorrow,,, but i agree all new estates are full of them.... i drive round for ages just avoiding them .when canvassing

Gary.

david68

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 11:00:04 pm »
Gazza was the one of the first things i brought.

All i do with squeegee is come down in straight lines and wave the pole in the air a little to get rid of access water.
I never go on any pitch roofs always use unger extension pole.

But now i have a wfp system.... ;)

Dave
David

www.ccwin.co.uk

My learning hobby
www.dbritweb.com

james cairns

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2006, 11:01:28 pm »
gazz i do a lot of modern estates with window above the door and one above the garage

if you can spend the following it will save you a lot of hassle, I know it is a cost when starting out but it saves hassle

backpack - cleantech £175
container on small trolley- for both £25
small di fitted to trolley for refilling as you go from cleantech vessel plus resin £35
and pole  18ft wintec £80

total ££315- and just do the windows that are  dangerous with wfp
the others with ladders
 with only doing say one or two windows per house the resin will last you ages and the customers accept wfp easily because of safety and you are not breaking tiles,, so you do not need a ro system as you are only doing a few a day and the other windows are being done with ladders

we dont use small ladders now but only carry the one ladder, and have a small 2 foot pole on the belt and treat it like a shop window, so we stand and do all the bottoms and it reduces the equipment you carry

hope the above helps

jinky

traditional window cleaner will clim on roofs and miss windows above conservatories with glass roofs

geefree

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2006, 11:03:13 pm »
hi dave i thought unger extention poles were part of wfp ???.... oh well  not suprised i struggle lol , hanging from gutters like a monkey :D

got to get easier then i reckon.

gary.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2006, 11:05:00 pm »
Sorry if there is an obvious answer - but why can't you use a short ladder inside?
It's a game of three halves!

geefree

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2006, 11:06:53 pm »
inside where malc

P®oPole™

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2006, 11:08:00 pm »
Yea try use a ladder inside, if not follow all the tips above but also tap your blade a couple of times on the bottom sill or top frame lightly to get rid of the excess water before your next stroke.

geefree

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2006, 11:09:59 pm »
thanks jinky, thats really does sound like the way forward for me, i thought i had to spend thousands to buy wfp, but if that is the basic set up i can live with that, instead of breaking my neck each day,... thanks jinky it really does help.

gary.