pylofm

Smokers windows
« on: September 06, 2006, 04:12:04 pm »
Did my first internal clean today ( :o ) for an old couple, they both smoke heavily....being a newbie and a little dumb...I priced a little low as I felt sorry for them....I had not really taken into account the smoking....and the 2 years that they had not been cleaned both in and out....

Now being an ex-smoker, I am the worst type you know the ones....walk into a bar and start doing little cough noises and pull a face like I'm sucking a lemon.....Well

I have now vowed not to do internal windows for smokers...just disgusting...Sorry to offend you smokers...but jeeeeeeeeeeeees...

Do you guys find the same and how do you price them?

Cheers Dave....( you live and learn)

Mark M

Re: Smokers windows
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 04:31:17 pm »
I find them a nightmare, like you learnt the hard way.

If a smoker wants the insides done I will charge double at least, so I either don't have to do it, or if I do will make good money on it

Mark

pjulk

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 04:37:28 pm »
I smoke myself but my windows are kept in check.

But i had a customer who smoked now passed on to another WC who was a chain smoker and she would only smoke in her conservatory.
Every month i used to clean inside and out and every month i would put a wet applicator on her inside conservatory glass and it would stick to the nicoteen.
It was always bloody hard work and made a mess of my applictor and cloths.
Thats why i passed her on.

Some pubs can be a nightmare also so if you quote for these insides always quote high otherwise the jobs not worth doing.
Charge at least double for smokers houses inside.

Paul

Paul Coleman

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 04:49:01 pm »
Did my first internal clean today ( :o ) for an old couple, they both smoke heavily....being a newbie and a little dumb...I priced a little low as I felt sorry for them....I had not really taken into account the smoking....and the 2 years that they had not been cleaned both in and out....

Now being an ex-smoker, I am the worst type you know the ones....walk into a bar and start doing little cough noises and pull a face like I'm sucking a lemon.....Well

I have now vowed not to do internal windows for smokers...just disgusting...Sorry to offend you smokers...but jeeeeeeeeeeeees...

Do you guys find the same and how do you price them?

Cheers Dave....( you live and learn)

If I can't get out of doing them I charge a LOT more for them.
I use the following method though I'm sure there must be a better way:-
I soap up the glass as normal. Then I take a washing up pad and go all over them with the green side.  Make sure you get a type that doesn't scratch glass.  This loosens things up nicely.  If necessary (like if it's started drying a bit), I soap up again, then I squeegee off as normal.  Try not to puke up when you see what colour it comes off the glass.  Sometimes it may be necessary to do this again but usually that should be enough.

Pj

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 04:58:13 pm »
I charge extra for smokey insides, and I tell the customer why before I start.
It's the tar, not the nicotene.
Nicotene is the addictive drug that you crave, but the tar kills you as it slowly sticks to every part of your respiratory system clogging every tissue, slowly choking you as your body mutates internal growths from cells starved of vital oxygen.

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 05:12:25 pm »
We charge 1 1/2 times the outside rate for this type of clean.

Try  adding a small amount of M.P.9 to your water.  Once of our first commercial jobs included the insides of a pub kitchen and smoking lounge.  :P

We tried many products but found this multisurface cleaner and de-greaser worked a treat. 

Its made by Premier products and is covered by COSHH Assessment No. 06052 so read up  on it before you use it as its an acidic solution and should be handled carefully.  Does a good job though.

Sarah

PS: Forgot to mention that you need to ventilate the area well if using this solution.

Sarah

cybersye

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 05:20:07 pm »
I charge same for insides as out,regardless of whether they're smokers or not,
I clean insides with a spray bottle and sqeegee and a solution of ammonia pure water and a bit of fairy, dont find it any harder than if they were non smokers.
Simon

pylofm

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 05:20:53 pm »
Thanks for all your advice :)

david68

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 07:51:20 pm »
Hi
I do an old ladys house who smoked. It messed up my applicator realy bad,
She had a ash tray on the windowledge with a fAg burning all the time.
Neve seen nicotine so bad. Give me bird dropping anytime.

Charged her peanuts.

Dave
David

www.ccwin.co.uk

My learning hobby
www.dbritweb.com

pylofm

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 08:25:42 pm »
I know the feeling David ;)

david68

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 08:31:46 pm »
The problem is beacuse you what to impress you realy try your hardest.
But i had to given in a re try next month.

Got most of it off.

Maybe next month i will use Gazza decrease agent....lol

Dave
David

www.ccwin.co.uk

My learning hobby
www.dbritweb.com

markybop

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 08:42:40 pm »
I've noticed a MASSIVE difference in cleaning the few bowling clubs and pubs now that the smoking ban has been inforced, a lot easier and far far quicker! :)
splish-splash....give me the cash!

Rise N Shine

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 12:20:20 am »
I have one customer who has yellow drips over all the insides of her windows, curtains, walls,  its revolting and it really turns my stomach, the insides can't have been cleaned in years.
She has a heart of gold and is one of my favorite customers, but there is no way on earth i'll ever do the insides of that place ever!

david68

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 12:28:08 am »
Go on ...She might have no family near to help.

;)

Dave
David

www.ccwin.co.uk

My learning hobby
www.dbritweb.com

Lee.

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2006, 10:20:25 am »
I cleaned a pub called the glass house, you can imagine the amount of windows by the name of the pub. They hadn't been cleaned for 2 yrs. when I had finnished they commented "wow! I thought we had tinted windows." hope they weren't :-[  I always used a scourer applicator sleeve and kept it just for inside of pubs.

Lee

edd

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2006, 11:07:17 pm »
just use good old tfr and price twice as much at least but nowadays we make more money from moving on and not doing them who wants all that crap on there brush anyway ERHHHHHHH!! ??? ??? i just tell them got an appointment somewhere else and go

ccwc1988

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2006, 12:16:22 pm »
as someone else said 1+1/2 times outside for average cleans. Smokers at least double & tell em why !!  ;D
CCWC..if we can't reach it no-one can.