Mark M

Safe Ladder Practice
« on: September 06, 2006, 03:43:06 pm »
I have read with interest the WFP v TRAD posts that appear on here quite often. I use both wfp and trad methods, whatever I feel is best suited for the job at hand.

My point is though that many come on here saying they use wfp because it is safer than ladders. But surely it's not ladders that are unsafe but how they are handled. I see some window cleaners local to me taking stupid risks on diy ladders

Working from ladders is safe as long as you adopt safe working practices, assess any potential risks and use common sense. This is just my opinion  ;D, but would be interested in any other thoughts on this.

Mark

Re: Safe Ladder Practice
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 04:32:46 pm »
I'm sure I've read somewhere on the HSE Working at Heights website that when working on ladders, 'being carefull', (which is what you're basically saying), is not good enough.

From my own limited experience, which consists of ONLY one fall; which gave me (and Wor Lass) a bit of a fright (she saw me slip, land on a porch roof, then fall again and hit the ground), I'd agree with HSE.

When working with ladders, especially when you're young, fit and have a lot of work on and many bills to pay;  you're up and down them like a yo-yo.

I still regularly use ladders.

But when you're working fast; you cut corners; take chances and inevitably you'll have a fall.

It's what happened to me and many other members of this forum.

Mark M

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 04:42:09 pm »
Good point Tosh

I meant more though than just being careful, you should really take time to do a risk assessment in line with WAHR.

I have had a fall myself, scared the life out of me. When using ladders regularly I know the tendency can be to rush and be overconfident

Thanks
Mark

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 04:58:32 pm »
I still regularly use ladders.

But when you're working fast; you cut corners; take chances and inevitably you'll have a fall.
It's not "inevitable" at all.

Thousands of people have never had a ladder accident in their life.

If it was "only a matter of time" then you wouldn't do it.

Pj

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 05:05:18 pm »

If it was "only a matter of time" then you wouldn't do it.

I don't anymore ;)

trevor perry

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 05:18:33 pm »
are you going to stop driving your car because its only a matter of time before you have an accident.. at least if you fall off a ladder it is probably your own fault where as a car accident any fool could cause it.
      perhaps all you who are really safety concious should now avoid the car and carry your water about in a big truck with wheels whoops now your a pedestrian and could still be knocked down.
       ladders are as safe as any other tool if used correctly and this is the message window cleaners should be putting accross instead of scaremainering.
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

Mark M

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 05:23:06 pm »
I have had one fall, managed to break a couple of bones, but it was my fault totally.
Since then have adopted safer working practice with ladders and in four years never even nearly had a accident.
Falls from ladders shouldn't happen if they are used correctly.

Mark

ronaldo

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 05:34:29 pm »
I used ladders for 9 years and was accident free, and when i changed over to wfp it was,nt anything to do with the safety factor it was purely because i could take on work that i could,nt do from a ladder.
Treat them with respect, dont take any unnessacary chances and if in doubt dont go up them.
And keep smiling  ;D
A bad days fishing is better than a good days work !

trevor perry

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 05:42:53 pm »
dont know whether you have noticed but bwca is starting ladder safety courses this seems a bit hypocritical because it is craig mawlem who has campaigned for so long to stop us using the things. dont think i want him telling me how to use something he isnt confident enough to use himself .
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

abacus

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 09:49:20 pm »
Hi trevor
and your supprised why?

if therse money in it he will do it

different hat different bank

still money !!!!

sorrey if I affended you craig ;D
A service you can count on
SAFEcontractor approved

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 09:45:27 am »
the difference with ladders is that it only takes one bad fall to kill or disable yourself for life.

Are you confident to say you will never ever fall.

DASERVICES

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 10:24:07 am »

When you're young safety is not much of a concern and you are up and down
  them ladders like a yo yo. As you get older you become wiser, hence your
  attitude changes about life and no longer take the risks.

I've had a fall but got up and carried on, but I found I was having to overcome
  more obstacles each day with customers designing their gardens. This makes it
  impossible to pitch ladders safely as well as new houses are not w/c friendly.

Hence changing over to WFP because I value my life more than risking going
  up a ladder that all 4 points are in contact. Also employing someone I would
  not insist they take risks in using the ladder.

Ladders are safe when used correctly however the majority of my customers
  there will be a few windows where I can pitch the ladder in a safe mode not
  matter how hard I tried.

So it's wfp for me from now on and for a fellow w/c I met the other day who
  had blood over his shirt. He is now going over to WFP.

Doug