josephus

accused of sracthing glass help needed
« on: September 05, 2006, 08:15:43 pm »
hi all

i was doing an initial clean this week and after cleaning one big very dirty window noticed scratches all over it.

i stopped reported the damage and laft shortly after.

i am now accused of causing the damage. i have checked, and im sure it was not me, but that the damage was caused by fabrication debris.

can anyone help me who has been here before. do you know of a solicitor who can advise my own ?

or can you help me with any documents. his glazier said i was at fault and the glass was not faulty. if i lose im out 4000 quid.

help from all would be appreciated.

thanks

josephus

ps now you know to use a scrathed glass waiver.

Extremeclean

Re: accused of sracthing glass help needed
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 08:20:40 pm »
Dont worry too much

For this to hold up in court there would have to be before and after evidence such as photographs. Also the fact that you reported the damage would go in your favour.

PS.. read up on how EXACTLY to clean glass without scratching it and THAT IS THE WAY YOU DID IT.  If you know what I mean  ;)

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 08:42:16 pm »
Joshephus,

You NEED to have a look at this website:

http://www.stopscratchedglass.com/faq/

I've read similar posts like yours before and this site seems to be of some help.

Pat Purcell

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 08:49:43 pm »
Read the specs on that particular piece of glass, its more than likely tempered or heat strengthened glass if its tempered then there will be a little insignia in one corner of the window stating that . .did you wash both sides of the window or just one as only one side will have fab debris. if it comes to it buy a powerful telephoto lens and examine the glass thru it you should be ablre to see the tell tale comet like scratches if it is fab debris. I hope extreme clean is right as im sure the law differs everywhere but get all  the info you can just in case.And donttake any notice of what the glazier says most of them know nothing about the glass they are dealing with and will blame anybody but temselves unfortunately they are probably a larger co, than yourself and can afford better solicitors >:(
Boston USA    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>   Cork Ireland

gaza

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 09:00:18 pm »
tell yhem youve already seen you companies solicitors carnt wait to go  to court

gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

williamx

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 09:16:13 pm »
Check with your Public liabilty insurance company.

Mr. S

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 09:30:27 pm »
Sorry josephus, but havent been on here for a couple of months, hello! Are you trad or wfp?

Craig

shammy davis jnr

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 09:38:00 pm »
tell him you will counter sue his ass for lible as you only clean glass and dont scratch it

AuRavelling79

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 09:55:22 pm »
Why are you certain it wasn't you?

If you are certain it wasn't then have your facts and supporting evidence to hand.
It's a game of three halves!

josephus

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 10:41:34 pm »
hi again

in answer to your questions.

i use both trad and wfp systems. i used no scraper and only an applicator andsqueegee on a dusty window covered in dried plaster. the other side is inside a sealed unit, but the side scratched is very rough and not like normal glass at all.

i am sure i didnt do it cause i am really good at not scratching glass. ive done hundreds of initial cleans and this is a freak.

all so the customer asked beforehand if i had insurance and complained about there most exspensive window. fishy!!

thanks for replies if you know any lawyers with knowledge of this problem id be gratefull.

thanks all

josephus

Pat Purcell

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 11:37:25 pm »
Just one thing if the side you washed is really rough is there a chance that it is LOW-e glass as sometimes in the factory when they are assembling the window they turn the pane the wrong way and the coating is on the outside if this is thecase then when you run your stripwasher over it you will feel the window grabbing it feels like walking thru mud and will have a bluish hue to it. Hopefully thats what it is as imsure you would enjoy seeing the glazier squirm
Boston USA    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>   Cork Ireland

david68

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 12:26:30 am »
Smash the evidence.   ;)

David

www.ccwin.co.uk

My learning hobby
www.dbritweb.com

JM123

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2006, 09:55:39 am »
if there was dried plaster on the glass then the chances are that the glass was damaged by the plasterers or the plaster long before you got near it.  I would go and see the complainant and show them your applicator etc, we have been accused before and when we showed the customer the wfp brush etc they realised there was no way we could have scratched the glass.  Also if plaster/cement is left on glass long enough it will etch the glass itself.

Damaged ligaments in my ankle on sunday so staying at home for a few days - nice but not nice
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

Ian_Giles

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 01:20:33 pm »
Very politely tell them to take a hike  ::)

The chances of you scratching the glass all over is almost impossible.

A single tiny scratch perhaps, but you know the instant you pick up something on your applicator that might scratch the glass, you can feel it.

What kind of scratched are they?

Are there clusters of scratches?

Are they all in the same direction?

I certainly would not necessarily blame the glaziers, the most likely culprits are any of the trades that may have come afterwards, in particular the plasters.

You stated there was plaster on the glass, did you mean 'plaster' or sand and cement?
And why is only one window badly scratched?

Tell them they are welcome to sue you, inform then that it is impossible to scratch the glass to the extent it is scratched using the equipment that you use.

Hell, offer him your tools and tell him to actually TRY and scratch the glass!!

I've been in this job over 22 years and in all that time, and god knows how many initial cleans over that time I've never knowingly scratched the glass...I will admit that I may have unknowingly marked the glass, but that at worst would only have been something like a single tiny scratch, anything more and I would have seen it.

Call his bluff.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

jeff1

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2006, 03:03:35 pm »
Over the passed few months, I have been having major work carried out on my own house, complete with scaffolding, a few weeks back the scaffolding was removed, and I was ased by my wife to clean our windows after months of neglect,
I went out and started to clean the windows using loads of water, Applicator, blade and scraper (unger) while I was washing the windows I noticed quite a few scratches some in clusters and some single, when I pointed this out to my wife, she then told me, were one piticular scratch was and it was a cluster typ scratch, she then told me she remembered a part brick falling and hitting the window, I myself remember small amounts of bricks and rubble falling and hitting the windows, and this has caused scratches to the windows.

I called the builder over and showed him all the glass scratches, He tried to fob me off with all sorts of cra*p, and even said it must have been the way I cleaned the windows, It was then I pointed out to him that I was a professional window cleaner, and knew how to clean windows, especially builders cleans, after a few arguments with the guy and with a threat of me taking him to court, he agreed to replace my glass, this has since been done.

Don't take any cr*p from these people and threaten to counter claim if they can't sort out  the problem, I knew there were no scratches in the glass but didn't have to prove it, if they have been doing any major renevations to the property you have cleaned, then the chance's are they caused the damage.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2006, 05:58:26 pm »
Following on from Jeff1 - this rings true!

I do a set of offices and have done them since 1998. In 2000 they extended by putting a new floor on the top and when the scaffolding went I was asked to clean the windows.

Bricks and cement had fallen against the lower floor glass and I pointed it out to the owners. The marks are there to this day and one still has bits of brick embedded. Being commercial they did not make a fuss against the builders and continue to live with it.
It's a game of three halves!

jakeandmia

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2006, 07:05:33 pm »
Hi

I was accused of this a year or so ago.Lady had new windows and 1 pane was scratched.I told her and she said she'll get on to double glazing firm.The DG firm blamed me,so I told the lady to get them out and when they were there call me and i'll come over.Walked round back of house and lady introduced me to 2 workers,their faces were a picture.I gave them the tools I have to clean windows and asked 1 of the guys to have a try at scratching with scraper.Within 20 seconds of getting nowhere he made a very reserved apaology.

Wayne

david68

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2006, 08:09:55 pm »
Wayne great form of action.

How you getting on with quote??

Dave
David

www.ccwin.co.uk

My learning hobby
www.dbritweb.com

niceandclean

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2006, 08:33:13 pm »
Just one thing if the side you washed is really rough is there a chance that it is LOW-e glass as sometimes in the factory when they are assembling the window they turn the pane the wrong way and the coating is on the outside if this is thecase then when you run your stripwasher over it you will feel the window grabbing it feels like walking thru mud and will have a bluish hue to it. Hopefully thats what it is as imsure you would enjoy seeing the glazier squirm

Pat is right, it could well be this. We supply & install Upvc products and this has happened on a few occassions. Was this a new build property and you were doing a first clean? And anyway if worst comes to worst you will not be 4000 quid out of pocket on a large glass sealed unit!

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2006, 09:40:03 pm »
Is any of the cement still on the glass ? take a close up picture or three.