Mr. S

Re: Are you a Glass cleaner or Window cleaner?
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2006, 02:30:09 pm »
I think it all comes down to each individual wc.

Thinking about it, last week I was asked to quote a lady, Im wfp and told her £9 (alot of dirty minging frames and plastic) she rplied no way i know how much other wcs charge £6.  i wouldnt compromise as i know im the best and dont compromise on jobs. (I didnt quite say it to her that way). Did the other wcs shes encountered only do glass? I wonder. Work to a high standard and and price to fit accordingly!

Pj

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2006, 06:38:04 pm »
pj.

20 years wow,
do you have men working for you,
i know i am a long way off but how do you decide on the point of a helper and then that helper doing it all, whilst you carry on building,

as you must take a serious wage drop at that point...
thinking way ahead here lol.

gary.

Just to answer your question Gary,

I have had people working for me over the years, but not much.  I also tried to keep it in the family.  At one point my wife and 2 sons worked with me.  After bad illness and 6 months off completely I slowly returned about 3 years ago keeping it low key.  So, up and down over the years...good times, bad times...
It's all good really ;)
Keep up the good work.

Pj

james cairns

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2006, 08:53:21 pm »
sorry guys but I am more up market

I am a transparent wall maintenance engineer

jinky lol  ;D ;D ;D

simbo

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2006, 09:36:56 pm »
a window is a frame with glass in it so i can call myself a proper window cleaner weather i use wf or trad clean frmes people notice even more than glass
cheers all simbo

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2006, 11:47:49 pm »
A window is largly regarded as something you look through a frame is not, fact.  before I started cleaning no way did I expect my window cleaner to clean the frames as well, I mean twenty years ago I never used to detail now you may get away with it but I dont chance it, now we need to clean the frames as well to be a "window cleaner" sorry like I say its all fare and well if your charging extra but are we not starting to do to much to keep customers happy, yes we may be charging more but were doing more at the same time, this does only apply to traditional methods though of course :D     
Sussex by the sea

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2006, 11:58:23 pm »
Jase to answer your original question  yes give them two prices.
Sussex by the sea

captain lard

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2006, 02:03:46 pm »
Very interesting thread its made me stop and think because I think wiping down the frames is good practise but today spent more time wiping frames than cleaning the glass .The job looks much better when the frames are wiped down but it increases the cleaning time esp on a 1st clean or where the frames get very dirty,some of my houses back onto woods and the spider webs and insects stuck in them make a right mess.

LSB

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2006, 02:41:39 pm »
As a trad w/c i give 2 prices ! since it takes approx twice as long to do the frames aswell i double the price , and explain it to the customer the same way , never had a problem or complaint doing it this way !

captain lard

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2006, 05:48:12 pm »
I am thinking of doing the same thing Lloyd because I am feeling I am not getting any benefit from doing the frame at the minute and it does lenghten the job.My initial error price wise but slowly learning.

sunshine windows

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2006, 08:39:05 pm »
Hi

I'm a window cleaner, as stated above, frames are hardest on the first clean then for the sake of a 20 second wipe over its worth doing.

So one for the glass cleaners, if there is bird deposit on the frame you will not touch it? Or you will but it will cost extra???

From a customers point of view they are getting value for money, i always price a job and include doors, frames, sills and glass. I wouldnt give them an option of price, just price it and say this is what it includes. I have had 1 customer ask for glass only but as everyone else has frames done i ended up doing some by mistake as its now become habbit and i dont even think about it just up ladder and clean.

Andy

I couldn't agree with you more Andy.

When i quote for a job it's always with frames, sills, and edges of panes included. No horrible dirty water marks on the side of the glass either.

I never give the customer a choice as to just glass or frames. It's always the lot or not at all. If you start doing different standards of work for certain customers it would just get too confusing.

Another one for all you just 'glass cleaners'. Do you leave all the cobwebs in the corners of the frames too or do you get rid of these. The reason i ask is because this is what takes the most time after a thorough first clean is done so if you do, then a quick wipe over of the rest of the frame wouldn't take 5 secs.

Regards,
Lance
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

captain lard

« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2006, 09:12:34 pm »
I am getting like that character in the Fast Show in the pub played by Paul Whitehouse who changes his mind after every comment/argument.

geefree

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2006, 10:53:17 pm »
gatting to be a first clean expert now, its minging, mucky and sometimes disgusting,

i carry my stanley scraper , get all the bird poop off, and paint blots.... then soap it up... then leave it a couple of minutes... same with frames (after a good dust down)....

i find the whole thing comes up better when just left a few mins, whilst doing another pane....

i really couldnt clean any other way, to just do the glass and leave  a filthy frame, is like changing your undies without having a shower..

but you know what?

the feeling you get ,before and after factor  is immense,

job satisfaction ,and being proud you did a good job, speaks volumes

and is worth much more than a quid.!

Gary.

Pj

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2006, 10:56:35 pm »
I am getting like that character in the Fast Show in the pub played by Paul Whitehouse who changes his mind after every comment/argument.

Have you got change of a fiver mate? ;D

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2006, 11:15:42 pm »

Another one for all you just 'glass cleaners'. Do you leave all the cobwebs in the corners of the frames too or do you get rid of these. The reason i ask is because this is what takes the most time after a thorough first clean is done so if you do, then a quick wipe over of the rest of the frame wouldn't take 5 secs.

Regards,
Lance

No I leave the cobwebs in the corners it stops the flys getting in when the windows open  ;D If a frame is really mucky I will give it a wipe over and as I wet detail some of it gets a wipe anyway I just dont go out of my way to clean it all, when I started up I did do a few houses where i spent ages doing frames and glass got very little recognition for it then had one of them say my mate who is also a window cleaner says they only need cleaning every 3 months can you do that? not sure whether his mate does them now but guess what my answer was  ;) at that point I decided if they want them done they can ask and pay extra.   
Sussex by the sea

cybersye

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2006, 11:52:49 pm »
The way I see it, the customer if regular, is paying for a service ( this is what I tell all mine)
the price includes glass and frames, 4 weekly, so what if it takes you longer on the first clean?, that effort will pay off, the customer will be happy, your future cleans will be easier,it will take you seconds to wipe and maintain an already cleaned frame. Just my opinion but I dont really agree with this "charging extra for the frames", it shows pride in your work and in my opinion that gets you recommendations and leads to customer loyalty and more quality work, I dont like to rush around and do a quick job, I take pride in doing a good and thorough job for as long as it takes me, if I'm unsure of how long something will take i quote an hourly rate, hav'nt been turned down yet.
I'm not trying to start an argument  but "cowboys" and the "£5 beer n fAgs brigade" gets mentioned a lot on here, do a good quality job and your reputation and work will get noticed.
nuff said ;)
Simon

Pj

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2006, 12:00:01 am »
I have always given just one price.  I clean windows, not just glass.  I clean the frames and sills, the lot.
Always have, well, for 20 years anyway.  One price, sorts them out ;)

david68

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2006, 12:06:16 am »
I made that point today, Gave a price to a chap and he seem to esitate.
Then i said i am a window cleaner and not just a glass cleaner.
Price then was ok without any other thought.

Thanks Guys

I now don't cut corners i clean them...... ;)

I am now a window cleaner and not a glass cleaner........ ;)

Great quotes i use ......feel that these get me the jobs

Dave...... 8)
David

www.ccwin.co.uk

My learning hobby
www.dbritweb.com

Rise N Shine

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2006, 12:13:04 am »
The way I see it, the customer if regular, is paying for a service ( this is what I tell all mine)
the price includes glass and frames, 4 weekly, so what if it takes you longer on the first clean?, that effort will pay off, the customer will be happy, your future cleans will be easier,it will take you seconds to wipe and maintain an already cleaned frame. Just my opinion but I dont really agree with this "charging extra for the frames", it shows pride in your work and in my opinion that gets you recommendations and leads to customer loyalty and more quality work, I dont like to rush around and do a quick job, I take pride in doing a good and thorough job for as long as it takes me, if I'm unsure of how long something will take i quote an hourly rate, hav'nt been turned down yet.
I'm not trying to start an argument  but "cowboys" and the "£5 beer n f*gs brigade" gets mentioned a lot on here, do a good quality job and your reputation and work will get noticed.
nuff said ;)
Simon

I've posted my views already in this thread, but this one here sums it all up perfectly.

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2006, 12:21:24 am »
Oh dear from what your all saying I'm in the minority just cleaning the glass and wiping the sills, untill I take a look at the majority outside of this forum  ::)  Simon if you are calling me a cowboy I'm afraid your view is very blinkered, I have gained in some ways from this forum but in other ways it has actively hindered my progress,  I was cleaning windows About 20 years ago and had to stop, I start up again find this forum and also another twenty differant methods/liquids/cloths to try and starting up again has been so much more difficult than getting a few scrims ladder and some fairy liquid, the information on here sometimes is brain numbing and some tend to follow it like lambs, as squeeky knows though things are differant and opinions are differant outside of this place.   
Sussex by the sea

david68

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2006, 12:26:17 am »
But AH if you getting payed thats great.

Keep it up

dave
David

www.ccwin.co.uk

My learning hobby
www.dbritweb.com