Jason Atwell

Are you a Glass cleaner or Window cleaner?
« on: September 04, 2006, 10:03:22 pm »
Hi guys, been window cleaning for twelve weeks now, from what iv seen by watching people and walking the local streets looking at houses, (saddo). I can see some w/c just clean the glass and some wipe the frames and sills etc. What is everyones opinion on this? Should i be dearer because i clean the frames or are some customers just bothered about clean glass/ Thinking about on new jobs giving them the option of two prices, Is this a good idea or not.
Fleetwood Window Cleaning Services

pjulk

Re: Are you a Glass cleaner or Window cleaner?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 10:05:39 pm »
Im a window cleaner or should it be window washer as im WFP.

I do the whole lot.

Frame, glass and sills.

Paul

Jason Atwell

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 10:07:49 pm »
I know this is an advantage of wfp, but i was thinking of traditional, as most guys in my area are still traditional.

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 10:14:02 pm »
It varies.  It depends on the job; but if I can get away with it, I do just the glass and sills only.

For those jobs I still do trad, I give the frames a wipe over every six months or whenever they start looking really dirty; which ever is the earlier.

Frames really, REALLY, do not require cleaning EVERY month, and if you do religiously wipe them down each clean (unless the property is situated in an environment that is contaminated with high levels of pollution; like Chernobyl; you're just wasting time that would be better spent cleaning glass and sills only on other properties.

Jason Atwell

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 10:20:35 pm »
Cheers tosh, On my first clean i generally clean the entire lot and have started charging more for the first clean. Then next time all i have to do is glass and wipe sill like you, but some guys just squeegee the glass and off they go to the next pane, no wiping sill or edges of glass where there is a bit of water left, this is what i was trying to get at.

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 10:30:08 pm »
Jase,

Believe me, I've read the posts here; what you scrim (all, top, left, right, bottom) is a totally different thread.  I even remember someone doing a poll here, asking what areas of the window we scrim.

But, generally, when using ladders, I only scrim areas that are comfortable to reach; I won't over-reach to scrim far left or right hand edges of windows; nor the tops of them.

On ground floor windows, I'll be a little more carefull; but you'll find the better your washing and squeegying gets; the less you'll scrim.

Some windows I don't bother, as there's no need. 

I think it just comes with experience and the type of windows you're doing; some are better than others.

When working trad, I'll only clean frames when they noticeably look dirty; but I clean all the sills; I think this is important.

JohnL

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 10:42:46 pm »
Trad cleaner.

I do glass, frames, sills  - the lot and anyone who says they do not are kidding themselves as being window cleaners.

And to reply to Tosh - they really really do need doing every month! Filth, salt and dust is not  fairey dust - it needs cleaning off!

To my view those who dont do a complete job are glass cleaners and I believe is a reason why they post such short times when they say how long it takes to do a job.

This topic has been raised before with some fairly meaty replies which will probably now be repeated.

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

Rise N Shine

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 10:42:55 pm »
Working trad i always wipe the sills down as part of the clean, they're wet anyway, it takes seconds and makes such a difference to the overall job, when frames start to look grubby after every few cleans i'll give them a wipe over for free.
Doing a few things extra makes you stand out from the crowd in my opinion.

Jase, I wouldn't give 2 prices, just one (high) and clean everything, I agree with the poster above, whats the point in shiny glass surrounded by dirty frames and sills, thats half a job and looks ridiculous.

captain lard

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 11:07:52 pm »
I have only been cleaning since March but so far have noticed people like the frames and sills wiped.

Pat Purcell

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2006, 11:21:52 pm »
How about on a house with nothing but french panes do you clean all the frames
Boston USA    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>   Cork Ireland

jeff1

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2006, 11:31:12 pm »
Trad cleaner.

I do glass, frames, sills  - the lot and anyone who says they do not are kidding themselves as being window cleaners.

And to reply to Tosh - they really really do need doing every month! Filth, salt and dust is not  fairey dust - it needs cleaning off!

To my view those who dont do a complete job are glass cleaners and I believe is a reason why they post such short times when they say how long it takes to do a job.

This topic has been raised before with some fairly meaty replies which will probably now be repeated.

JohnL

Totally agree with you JohnL I wash window frames and cills on every clean and I charge an extra couple of quide for the frames, customers are given two prices, one for just windows and cills and the other includes the frames, never had a customer just pick windows, and when you walk away you can see you have done a good job.

and to answer pats purcells  post, when your washing french panes it takes seconds to wipe each frame as you wash the windows. so the answer to your question is yes, time is never an issue for me, i would sooner take a little longer and do a good job.

Clear Vision

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 11:31:27 pm »
Im a window cleaner or should it be window washer as im WFP.

I do the whole lot.

Frame, glass and sills.

Paul

When you say you do the frame do you do the top frame every time?

JohnL

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2006, 11:53:17 pm »
jeff1

Spot on mate although I dont say the frames are included, it makes them even happier when they see the finished product - all clean top to bottom and well worth the money!

I give a price for cleaning windows - only had one queery - she asked ' does that include the frames? ' of course it does  - job done 'cus her last WC'er, who hadnt been for months, did not.

I've just picked up a garage with about 20 medium size windows 'cus the present cleaner refuses to clean the cream paintwork saying it would take too long being on a main road and the frames always looked filthier than the glass!

His loss, my gain and they are paying me twice what they used to pay. Its probably taking me half as long again as he took but I am still quids in and once I get my wfp up and running I hope the time will come down more and increase the profit margin.  :)

However I do not work in a heavy residential area where maybe there is more competition. My little band of customers seem to be happy to pay me for a good service.

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

jeff1

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2006, 12:06:48 am »
So right John, the frames may be full of filth the first time you do them, and it may take a little longer but after the first clean you normally get them done in half the time,

if you ever get a customer say thats dear, just say this includes the frames, but i can knock a couple of quid off if you would like me to leave the frames, and I bet they say no do the frames.

I do the villages and I over the years I've seen them come and I've seen them go, because all they normally end up with is the crap i won't do  ;D  you know the type, no money in it, to much hasstle from them etc.
and customers are more willing to pay more for a good honest and most of all reliable window cleaner.

mick40

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2006, 12:09:58 am »
clear vision you have an e mail.
if i eat myself will i be twice as fat or will i disappear?

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2006, 12:19:13 am »
Trad cleaner.

JohnL
John its quite obvious some people are quoting for cleaning the glass and frames, and some for glass only, partly the reason I guess for such varied prices, window cleaning for me is the glass only then a clean up after you so the sills get a wipe, as far as I am concerned its always been that way if others want to provide a frame cleaning service as well then great as long as customers dont expect it for the same price, I think it should always be classed as extra, there are some that say a window is the whole thing so a window cleaner should clean the whole lot, to that I would say when you look out of a window what part can you see through? thats the part I clean  therefor I am a window cleaner ;)    
Sussex by the sea

geefree

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2006, 12:29:06 am »
Im new and i do the lot, the first clean is hard, but after that its seconds to wipe frames and sills.......

ive only done two second cleans so i speak from experience lol.

but thats what i intend to do,

and when pricing i add a quid on and tell them i do a thorough job including all sills and frames .... after the first clean they seem generally impressed ,

so i aint going far wrong

Pj

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2006, 12:38:31 am »
Now in my 20th year (yawn, I tell yet again)

I have told customers for many years, "We clean windows, not just glass."  They appreciate it.  So many times I have been told that the windows have never looked so clean!  It's only because the frames have been cleaned too.
I am a window cleaner!

geefree

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2006, 12:54:09 am »
pj.

20 years wow,
do you have men working for you,
i know i am a long way off but how do you decide on the point of a helper and then that helper doing it all, whilst you carry on building,

as you must take a serious wage drop at that point...
thinking way ahead here lol.

gary.

mgba_78

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2006, 02:08:33 pm »
Hi

I'm a window cleaner, as stated above, frames are hardest on the first clean then for the sake of a 20 second wipe over its worth doing.

So one for the glass cleaners, if there is bird deposit on the frame you will not touch it? Or you will but it will cost extra???

From a customers point of view they are getting value for money, i always price a job and include doors, frames, sills and glass. I wouldnt give them an option of price, just price it and say this is what it includes. I have had 1 customer ask for glass only but as everyone else has frames done i ended up doing some by mistake as its now become habbit and i dont even think about it just up ladder and clean.

Andy

Oooooo that is shiny!!

Mr. S

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2006, 02:30:09 pm »
I think it all comes down to each individual wc.

Thinking about it, last week I was asked to quote a lady, Im wfp and told her £9 (alot of dirty minging frames and plastic) she rplied no way i know how much other wcs charge £6.  i wouldnt compromise as i know im the best and dont compromise on jobs. (I didnt quite say it to her that way). Did the other wcs shes encountered only do glass? I wonder. Work to a high standard and and price to fit accordingly!

Pj

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2006, 06:38:04 pm »
pj.

20 years wow,
do you have men working for you,
i know i am a long way off but how do you decide on the point of a helper and then that helper doing it all, whilst you carry on building,

as you must take a serious wage drop at that point...
thinking way ahead here lol.

gary.

Just to answer your question Gary,

I have had people working for me over the years, but not much.  I also tried to keep it in the family.  At one point my wife and 2 sons worked with me.  After bad illness and 6 months off completely I slowly returned about 3 years ago keeping it low key.  So, up and down over the years...good times, bad times...
It's all good really ;)
Keep up the good work.

Pj

james cairns

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2006, 08:53:21 pm »
sorry guys but I am more up market

I am a transparent wall maintenance engineer

jinky lol  ;D ;D ;D

simbo

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2006, 09:36:56 pm »
a window is a frame with glass in it so i can call myself a proper window cleaner weather i use wf or trad clean frmes people notice even more than glass
cheers all simbo

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2006, 11:47:49 pm »
A window is largly regarded as something you look through a frame is not, fact.  before I started cleaning no way did I expect my window cleaner to clean the frames as well, I mean twenty years ago I never used to detail now you may get away with it but I dont chance it, now we need to clean the frames as well to be a "window cleaner" sorry like I say its all fare and well if your charging extra but are we not starting to do to much to keep customers happy, yes we may be charging more but were doing more at the same time, this does only apply to traditional methods though of course :D     
Sussex by the sea

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2006, 11:58:23 pm »
Jase to answer your original question  yes give them two prices.
Sussex by the sea

captain lard

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2006, 02:03:46 pm »
Very interesting thread its made me stop and think because I think wiping down the frames is good practise but today spent more time wiping frames than cleaning the glass .The job looks much better when the frames are wiped down but it increases the cleaning time esp on a 1st clean or where the frames get very dirty,some of my houses back onto woods and the spider webs and insects stuck in them make a right mess.

LSB

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2006, 02:41:39 pm »
As a trad w/c i give 2 prices ! since it takes approx twice as long to do the frames aswell i double the price , and explain it to the customer the same way , never had a problem or complaint doing it this way !

captain lard

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2006, 05:48:12 pm »
I am thinking of doing the same thing Lloyd because I am feeling I am not getting any benefit from doing the frame at the minute and it does lenghten the job.My initial error price wise but slowly learning.

sunshine windows

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2006, 08:39:05 pm »
Hi

I'm a window cleaner, as stated above, frames are hardest on the first clean then for the sake of a 20 second wipe over its worth doing.

So one for the glass cleaners, if there is bird deposit on the frame you will not touch it? Or you will but it will cost extra???

From a customers point of view they are getting value for money, i always price a job and include doors, frames, sills and glass. I wouldnt give them an option of price, just price it and say this is what it includes. I have had 1 customer ask for glass only but as everyone else has frames done i ended up doing some by mistake as its now become habbit and i dont even think about it just up ladder and clean.

Andy

I couldn't agree with you more Andy.

When i quote for a job it's always with frames, sills, and edges of panes included. No horrible dirty water marks on the side of the glass either.

I never give the customer a choice as to just glass or frames. It's always the lot or not at all. If you start doing different standards of work for certain customers it would just get too confusing.

Another one for all you just 'glass cleaners'. Do you leave all the cobwebs in the corners of the frames too or do you get rid of these. The reason i ask is because this is what takes the most time after a thorough first clean is done so if you do, then a quick wipe over of the rest of the frame wouldn't take 5 secs.

Regards,
Lance
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

captain lard

« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2006, 09:12:34 pm »
I am getting like that character in the Fast Show in the pub played by Paul Whitehouse who changes his mind after every comment/argument.

geefree

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2006, 10:53:17 pm »
gatting to be a first clean expert now, its minging, mucky and sometimes disgusting,

i carry my stanley scraper , get all the bird poop off, and paint blots.... then soap it up... then leave it a couple of minutes... same with frames (after a good dust down)....

i find the whole thing comes up better when just left a few mins, whilst doing another pane....

i really couldnt clean any other way, to just do the glass and leave  a filthy frame, is like changing your undies without having a shower..

but you know what?

the feeling you get ,before and after factor  is immense,

job satisfaction ,and being proud you did a good job, speaks volumes

and is worth much more than a quid.!

Gary.

Pj

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2006, 10:56:35 pm »
I am getting like that character in the Fast Show in the pub played by Paul Whitehouse who changes his mind after every comment/argument.

Have you got change of a fiver mate? ;D

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2006, 11:15:42 pm »

Another one for all you just 'glass cleaners'. Do you leave all the cobwebs in the corners of the frames too or do you get rid of these. The reason i ask is because this is what takes the most time after a thorough first clean is done so if you do, then a quick wipe over of the rest of the frame wouldn't take 5 secs.

Regards,
Lance

No I leave the cobwebs in the corners it stops the flys getting in when the windows open  ;D If a frame is really mucky I will give it a wipe over and as I wet detail some of it gets a wipe anyway I just dont go out of my way to clean it all, when I started up I did do a few houses where i spent ages doing frames and glass got very little recognition for it then had one of them say my mate who is also a window cleaner says they only need cleaning every 3 months can you do that? not sure whether his mate does them now but guess what my answer was  ;) at that point I decided if they want them done they can ask and pay extra.   
Sussex by the sea

cybersye

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2006, 11:52:49 pm »
The way I see it, the customer if regular, is paying for a service ( this is what I tell all mine)
the price includes glass and frames, 4 weekly, so what if it takes you longer on the first clean?, that effort will pay off, the customer will be happy, your future cleans will be easier,it will take you seconds to wipe and maintain an already cleaned frame. Just my opinion but I dont really agree with this "charging extra for the frames", it shows pride in your work and in my opinion that gets you recommendations and leads to customer loyalty and more quality work, I dont like to rush around and do a quick job, I take pride in doing a good and thorough job for as long as it takes me, if I'm unsure of how long something will take i quote an hourly rate, hav'nt been turned down yet.
I'm not trying to start an argument  but "cowboys" and the "£5 beer n fAgs brigade" gets mentioned a lot on here, do a good quality job and your reputation and work will get noticed.
nuff said ;)
Simon

Pj

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2006, 12:00:01 am »
I have always given just one price.  I clean windows, not just glass.  I clean the frames and sills, the lot.
Always have, well, for 20 years anyway.  One price, sorts them out ;)

david68

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2006, 12:06:16 am »
I made that point today, Gave a price to a chap and he seem to esitate.
Then i said i am a window cleaner and not just a glass cleaner.
Price then was ok without any other thought.

Thanks Guys

I now don't cut corners i clean them...... ;)

I am now a window cleaner and not a glass cleaner........ ;)

Great quotes i use ......feel that these get me the jobs

Dave...... 8)
David

www.ccwin.co.uk

My learning hobby
www.dbritweb.com

Rise N Shine

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2006, 12:13:04 am »
The way I see it, the customer if regular, is paying for a service ( this is what I tell all mine)
the price includes glass and frames, 4 weekly, so what if it takes you longer on the first clean?, that effort will pay off, the customer will be happy, your future cleans will be easier,it will take you seconds to wipe and maintain an already cleaned frame. Just my opinion but I dont really agree with this "charging extra for the frames", it shows pride in your work and in my opinion that gets you recommendations and leads to customer loyalty and more quality work, I dont like to rush around and do a quick job, I take pride in doing a good and thorough job for as long as it takes me, if I'm unsure of how long something will take i quote an hourly rate, hav'nt been turned down yet.
I'm not trying to start an argument  but "cowboys" and the "£5 beer n f*gs brigade" gets mentioned a lot on here, do a good quality job and your reputation and work will get noticed.
nuff said ;)
Simon

I've posted my views already in this thread, but this one here sums it all up perfectly.

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2006, 12:21:24 am »
Oh dear from what your all saying I'm in the minority just cleaning the glass and wiping the sills, untill I take a look at the majority outside of this forum  ::)  Simon if you are calling me a cowboy I'm afraid your view is very blinkered, I have gained in some ways from this forum but in other ways it has actively hindered my progress,  I was cleaning windows About 20 years ago and had to stop, I start up again find this forum and also another twenty differant methods/liquids/cloths to try and starting up again has been so much more difficult than getting a few scrims ladder and some fairy liquid, the information on here sometimes is brain numbing and some tend to follow it like lambs, as squeeky knows though things are differant and opinions are differant outside of this place.   
Sussex by the sea

david68

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2006, 12:26:17 am »
But AH if you getting payed thats great.

Keep it up

dave
David

www.ccwin.co.uk

My learning hobby
www.dbritweb.com

captain lard

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2006, 01:05:54 am »
Well this thread has made me stop and think,there are different ways to look at the job and Chris if you just do the glass thats fair enough by me mate.
I do frames but it takes a lot more on a 1st clean and where I am not all regular cleans are a simple wipe after 4 weeks,I am worrying I am not making more than the cowboys on my bread and butter stuff and am thinking the frame wiping isnt really noticed or appreciated by the majority of me customers so why do it ??
i am trying to offer more but am beginning to wonder that the customers are driven only by a low enough price.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2006, 06:39:32 am »
When I was full time trad it would really depend on the account I was on at the time, and also the style and type of window.
On some windows it made little difference to the time taken to just give the frames a quick wipe over as you cleaned them, others it can be a major time factor.

I have had some accounts where the frames have been stinking and not been cleaned since the windows have been fitted, I have often told customers that I won't charge them extra, but won't clean all of the frames in one go, rather that as each repeat clean came along I would gradually bring all the frames up to standard.

This I guess really applies to the bigger jobs to be honest, on a 10 windows semi, if the frames are dirty then you may as well spend an extra 10 minutes getting the frames right, but on a job with 30 or 40 windows it can quadruple the time taken, you can go through half a dozen scrims on a single job and yo uwill also need to change your water a couple of times.

Tell a customer that instead of charging them £30 to clean the windows you are going to have to charge them £100 for the first clean and you'll give them a heart attack!! :o

Most people want clean glass to look through, they will be chuffed if you can add the frames for no more than a litle extra, but the odds are that they will not want to pay a fortune to get them cleaned too.
So by gradually bringing them up to spec you can keep them happy and not effect the time taken to do the job very much.

On these jobs, once the frames are cleaned, half the time you could just flick over them with a dry scrim to keep them right, or as I washed the glass with the applicator I would use a damp scim to 'pre'detail' the glass and include the frame as I did so.

I have one largish office block that I only ever did frames and sills only, occasionally they would want the frames washed down too, but it changed a 4 hour job into a 12 hour one. :-\
These windows were all UPVC, 12 panes of glass per window (mostly) each pane about 15" square.
Where the glass is beaded in, the UPVC is square to the glass, so when you squeegee them you ALWAYS have to detail the bottom edge of each pane as well as the top and sides.
Horrible frames >:(
Even after you had cleaned the frames thoroughly it would add a lot of time (doubling it in fact) if you tried to keep these frames clean as you went along and at £90 a clean I was not going to get away with doubling my price.

Ergo it was glass and sills only, and if they wanted the frames done then it was a requested clean and I charged accordingly.

All done WFP now and the frames are part of the job, what was 4 hours is not under an hour and a half and the frames are washed every time too.

So there are many ways of getting the frames done, it isn't always plain cut, and there are a few differing ways of getting around it.

you have to be flexible, sometimes adding the frames every time you clean the account may just not be feasible, and to do so then you just have to charge more.

Most who have replied on here claim they all do the frames religiously, but as I walk around or watch other windows cleaner I see very little 'frame cleaning' going on, I know one who has been going over 20 years who doesn't even bother with the sills!!

The frames are one of the biggest differences between WFP and trad, with WFP doing the frames makes little or no difference to the time taken to do the job.

While I was trad, if I didn't need to do the frames to get a decent job done then they didn't get cleaned, for me it all depended on the job in hand.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

cybersye

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2006, 09:11:00 am »
Chris@c.m.s., sorry mate I'm not suggesting anyone on here is a cowboy,
Let me illustrate the point I was trying to make with an example:
I recently quoted 50 % higher for a nursing home contract for the manager who was far from happy with her window cleaner, he would manage to clean in and out in 3 hours, they would constantly have to ask him to do windows and frames he'd missed, I told them it could take me up to twice as long as that, it was obvious to me and her he was getting away with what he could. Image is very important to them, they have another 3 homes too. though I'm more expensive she was very impressed with my professionalism and has agreed I can go ahead, she cancelled the old cleaner but not before she gave him the chance to redeem himself, he was'nt interested, his loss! my gain! :D

Another example was a place I was due to quote yesterday but when I called they informed me their window cleaner had turned up the day before, they had'nt seen him in 6 months ( they werent happy about that but there may have been a good reason) I was still chuffed though as I'd been recommended by a friend who'd said I was the best window cleaner they'd had. ;D

I just think its worth the extra effort to clean everything , its working for me
Simon

groundhog

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2006, 06:19:55 pm »
I clean mainly trad, but I clean frames and sills everytime, its my main selling point as very few window cleaners do it where I live. That is how I charge more than double of any other window cleaner  where I live. The first cleans take a long time, but it is worth it as after that I only need to give them a quick wipe over with a damp srim and its done. 8)

simbo

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2006, 07:55:32 pm »
good on all you proper window and frame cleaners, carry on and customers will one day have a better opinion of us
i hate cowboys Pah!!! not that any of you are ;)
simbo