Jason Atwell

Are you a Glass cleaner or Window cleaner?
« on: September 04, 2006, 10:03:22 pm »
Hi guys, been window cleaning for twelve weeks now, from what iv seen by watching people and walking the local streets looking at houses, (saddo). I can see some w/c just clean the glass and some wipe the frames and sills etc. What is everyones opinion on this? Should i be dearer because i clean the frames or are some customers just bothered about clean glass/ Thinking about on new jobs giving them the option of two prices, Is this a good idea or not.
Fleetwood Window Cleaning Services

pjulk

Re: Are you a Glass cleaner or Window cleaner?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 10:05:39 pm »
Im a window cleaner or should it be window washer as im WFP.

I do the whole lot.

Frame, glass and sills.

Paul

Jason Atwell

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 10:07:49 pm »
I know this is an advantage of wfp, but i was thinking of traditional, as most guys in my area are still traditional.

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 10:14:02 pm »
It varies.  It depends on the job; but if I can get away with it, I do just the glass and sills only.

For those jobs I still do trad, I give the frames a wipe over every six months or whenever they start looking really dirty; which ever is the earlier.

Frames really, REALLY, do not require cleaning EVERY month, and if you do religiously wipe them down each clean (unless the property is situated in an environment that is contaminated with high levels of pollution; like Chernobyl; you're just wasting time that would be better spent cleaning glass and sills only on other properties.

Jason Atwell

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 10:20:35 pm »
Cheers tosh, On my first clean i generally clean the entire lot and have started charging more for the first clean. Then next time all i have to do is glass and wipe sill like you, but some guys just squeegee the glass and off they go to the next pane, no wiping sill or edges of glass where there is a bit of water left, this is what i was trying to get at.

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 10:30:08 pm »
Jase,

Believe me, I've read the posts here; what you scrim (all, top, left, right, bottom) is a totally different thread.  I even remember someone doing a poll here, asking what areas of the window we scrim.

But, generally, when using ladders, I only scrim areas that are comfortable to reach; I won't over-reach to scrim far left or right hand edges of windows; nor the tops of them.

On ground floor windows, I'll be a little more carefull; but you'll find the better your washing and squeegying gets; the less you'll scrim.

Some windows I don't bother, as there's no need. 

I think it just comes with experience and the type of windows you're doing; some are better than others.

When working trad, I'll only clean frames when they noticeably look dirty; but I clean all the sills; I think this is important.

JohnL

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 10:42:46 pm »
Trad cleaner.

I do glass, frames, sills  - the lot and anyone who says they do not are kidding themselves as being window cleaners.

And to reply to Tosh - they really really do need doing every month! Filth, salt and dust is not  fairey dust - it needs cleaning off!

To my view those who dont do a complete job are glass cleaners and I believe is a reason why they post such short times when they say how long it takes to do a job.

This topic has been raised before with some fairly meaty replies which will probably now be repeated.

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

Rise N Shine

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 10:42:55 pm »
Working trad i always wipe the sills down as part of the clean, they're wet anyway, it takes seconds and makes such a difference to the overall job, when frames start to look grubby after every few cleans i'll give them a wipe over for free.
Doing a few things extra makes you stand out from the crowd in my opinion.

Jase, I wouldn't give 2 prices, just one (high) and clean everything, I agree with the poster above, whats the point in shiny glass surrounded by dirty frames and sills, thats half a job and looks ridiculous.

captain lard

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 11:07:52 pm »
I have only been cleaning since March but so far have noticed people like the frames and sills wiped.

Pat Purcell

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2006, 11:21:52 pm »
How about on a house with nothing but french panes do you clean all the frames
Boston USA    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>   Cork Ireland

jeff1

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2006, 11:31:12 pm »
Trad cleaner.

I do glass, frames, sills  - the lot and anyone who says they do not are kidding themselves as being window cleaners.

And to reply to Tosh - they really really do need doing every month! Filth, salt and dust is not  fairey dust - it needs cleaning off!

To my view those who dont do a complete job are glass cleaners and I believe is a reason why they post such short times when they say how long it takes to do a job.

This topic has been raised before with some fairly meaty replies which will probably now be repeated.

JohnL

Totally agree with you JohnL I wash window frames and cills on every clean and I charge an extra couple of quide for the frames, customers are given two prices, one for just windows and cills and the other includes the frames, never had a customer just pick windows, and when you walk away you can see you have done a good job.

and to answer pats purcells  post, when your washing french panes it takes seconds to wipe each frame as you wash the windows. so the answer to your question is yes, time is never an issue for me, i would sooner take a little longer and do a good job.

Clear Vision

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 11:31:27 pm »
Im a window cleaner or should it be window washer as im WFP.

I do the whole lot.

Frame, glass and sills.

Paul

When you say you do the frame do you do the top frame every time?

JohnL

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2006, 11:53:17 pm »
jeff1

Spot on mate although I dont say the frames are included, it makes them even happier when they see the finished product - all clean top to bottom and well worth the money!

I give a price for cleaning windows - only had one queery - she asked ' does that include the frames? ' of course it does  - job done 'cus her last WC'er, who hadnt been for months, did not.

I've just picked up a garage with about 20 medium size windows 'cus the present cleaner refuses to clean the cream paintwork saying it would take too long being on a main road and the frames always looked filthier than the glass!

His loss, my gain and they are paying me twice what they used to pay. Its probably taking me half as long again as he took but I am still quids in and once I get my wfp up and running I hope the time will come down more and increase the profit margin.  :)

However I do not work in a heavy residential area where maybe there is more competition. My little band of customers seem to be happy to pay me for a good service.

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

jeff1

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2006, 12:06:48 am »
So right John, the frames may be full of filth the first time you do them, and it may take a little longer but after the first clean you normally get them done in half the time,

if you ever get a customer say thats dear, just say this includes the frames, but i can knock a couple of quid off if you would like me to leave the frames, and I bet they say no do the frames.

I do the villages and I over the years I've seen them come and I've seen them go, because all they normally end up with is the crap i won't do  ;D  you know the type, no money in it, to much hasstle from them etc.
and customers are more willing to pay more for a good honest and most of all reliable window cleaner.

mick40

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2006, 12:09:58 am »
clear vision you have an e mail.
if i eat myself will i be twice as fat or will i disappear?

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2006, 12:19:13 am »
Trad cleaner.

JohnL
John its quite obvious some people are quoting for cleaning the glass and frames, and some for glass only, partly the reason I guess for such varied prices, window cleaning for me is the glass only then a clean up after you so the sills get a wipe, as far as I am concerned its always been that way if others want to provide a frame cleaning service as well then great as long as customers dont expect it for the same price, I think it should always be classed as extra, there are some that say a window is the whole thing so a window cleaner should clean the whole lot, to that I would say when you look out of a window what part can you see through? thats the part I clean  therefor I am a window cleaner ;)    
Sussex by the sea

geefree

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2006, 12:29:06 am »
Im new and i do the lot, the first clean is hard, but after that its seconds to wipe frames and sills.......

ive only done two second cleans so i speak from experience lol.

but thats what i intend to do,

and when pricing i add a quid on and tell them i do a thorough job including all sills and frames .... after the first clean they seem generally impressed ,

so i aint going far wrong

Pj

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2006, 12:38:31 am »
Now in my 20th year (yawn, I tell yet again)

I have told customers for many years, "We clean windows, not just glass."  They appreciate it.  So many times I have been told that the windows have never looked so clean!  It's only because the frames have been cleaned too.
I am a window cleaner!

geefree

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2006, 12:54:09 am »
pj.

20 years wow,
do you have men working for you,
i know i am a long way off but how do you decide on the point of a helper and then that helper doing it all, whilst you carry on building,

as you must take a serious wage drop at that point...
thinking way ahead here lol.

gary.

mgba_78

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2006, 02:08:33 pm »
Hi

I'm a window cleaner, as stated above, frames are hardest on the first clean then for the sake of a 20 second wipe over its worth doing.

So one for the glass cleaners, if there is bird deposit on the frame you will not touch it? Or you will but it will cost extra???

From a customers point of view they are getting value for money, i always price a job and include doors, frames, sills and glass. I wouldnt give them an option of price, just price it and say this is what it includes. I have had 1 customer ask for glass only but as everyone else has frames done i ended up doing some by mistake as its now become habbit and i dont even think about it just up ladder and clean.

Andy

Oooooo that is shiny!!