james cairns

gardiners superlite poles
« on: September 03, 2006, 03:49:04 am »
guys was wondering how the choosen few trying gardiners superlite poles are getting on with them,

is it possible to load up pics

would like to know the pros and cons of these poles

thanks jinky

Alex Gardiner

Re: gardiners superlite poles
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 02:34:45 pm »
Hi Jinky,

The chosen few are now well into the trial and have found these new poles to be quite revolutionary.

I will be publishing a feedback page on our website with comments from all of those who have used this pole during the trial.

6 people had 45ft poles
1 person had a 50ft pole
4 people had 60ft poles

On the whole they have found the poles to be very good.  One of the testers (there were 11 in the end) is thinking about sending the pole back for a refund as really his work was not suitable for this type of pole (only 3 storey domestic work).

The pole is most suited to commercial work due to its modular nature.  One very serious commercial window cleaner who had a 60ft trial pole from us has since bought another four 60ft poles from us and has decided to get rid of his other 56ft-60ft poles as he now considers them, by comparison, to be unworkable with.  He is also, with our development team, working at using them up to 80ft (rather him than me!). Tony, when you get back from your weekend away, you might want to comment.

One aspect that all experienced testers have commented on is the incredible rigidity of these poles.  Due to the construction, they not only are very light but also very stiff. At 45ft and above this becomes increasingly important.

One person who has been testng it at 60ft found difficulties in working at height with it but he was using it on his own and had not carried out 60ft work before. Any work over 45ft should always be a 2 person job.  The trouble is that this pole is so light that you physically can do things that actually still require a 2 person team for. However this chap has come up with some good ideas about hose fixing for this pole.

All have found the light weight to be almost unbelievable and once you have used it you simply will not put up with using anything heavier. This light weight does come with a premium in that the poles do need careful use. To achieve such weight  the sections are more delicate than say an exel glass fibre section. Whilst the larger bottom sections are very tough the lighter top sections are not so sturdy.  If using these on lower levels some damage has occurred when putting excess lateral pressure on these sections.  These lower sections are not designed to take this strain. When in correct use this damage cannot occur.  However, damage has been rare and with care this pole can be used at any height (even ground floor) as our testers have found.

The super-lite brush has received great praise from those testing it (I now use it on nearly all of my poles).  Whilst it looks very boring it gets great results on the glass and is very very light. Coupled with the super-lite pole the bristles work well to clean the glass even with minimal pressure. The only complaint was that it didn't clean the glass well at 60ft on a 'builders clean', but I do not think that many would expect it to do this type of work very often!

Being modular in nature with an external hose, has taken getting used to, but most within a couple of weeks have found that it only takes a couple of minutes to have a45ft pole up and working and it will often save this in time on just one window.  One tester found that a job that usually took 3 hours with his old 56ft pole took only 50 minutes with the super-lite.

Conclusion: for the right job it is unbeatable. There will be those that find its construction off-putting and it is not suited to smaller domestic work (Jeff Brimble might disagree!). Hence the need for smaller telescopic poles still.

Most of the testers have said that they will not go back to using 'ordinary' poles on their high work and I think that says it all.

We are hoping in the near future to have an open day for all of our products, including these poles, where you will be able to have an 'hands on' test of the product.

I hope that this has been of use to you.

Alex Gardiner

james cairns

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 02:48:05 pm »
first class alex -- by the way would it be possible to load up pics on the web site  of the pole in action- maybe the guys could help you out

look forward to the new developments

jinky

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 02:59:24 pm »
Hi Jinky,

One of the testers is having some photos taken  of the pole in use, also I will try to do so in the week. I can then put a link to them.

Alex

neil100

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 03:23:27 pm »
Whens the lightweight brush going to be up for sale Alex?

Nel.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 03:44:50 pm »
Quote by Alex
" Conclusion: for the right job it is unbeatable. There will be those that find its construction off-putting and it is not suited to smaller domestic work (Jeff Brimble might disagree!). "

Yes I do disagree, Its down to operator use, even a 2x1 metre alu seems heavy in comparison and I am not joking.  Because its modular with a 3ft top section that you also use to  reach 70ft I dont need any other pole. But for the giants out there I now have a "King Kong" pole that will take the rough and tumble. It will lift a 1.5lb weight from horizontal to vertical at a distance of 9 metres and has an electrical insulator built in.  (actually tested to 2lb and 1,000 volts)

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 04:00:29 pm »
Hi Jeff,

of course you disagree! I would not expect anything less from you :)
I too use this pole on almost everything and find it quite without comparison, as long as you respect it.

We have used this pole at 45ft with a weight of 850g on the end and whilst it can easily do this, it does take away from the whole ethos of 'lightness'.

We too can get much tougher versions of this pole but it does increase the weight and you start to limit yourself on the height, as 9 metres (29ft) is not enough for a lot of users.

We could construct a 45ft version that is almost bullet proof but the weight would go up to 3.4kg instead of 2.3kg

When we are retailing these all of them will come with an Insulated base section as standard.

Regards
Alex

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 04:18:23 pm »
Look Guys, these poles are the future, will help prevent injury problems and make you day enjoyable.... Jinky Pros very extremely light. Cons Very extremely light.
Alex, "We have used this pole at 45ft with a weight of 850g on the end" was this from horizontal to vertical with part of the 60fter in one go ?
Having said that why anyone would want to use a 1-2lb brush beats me  ??? but there are other applications.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 04:25:35 pm »
Hi Jeff,

Yes we have lifted from horizontal to vertical with a 850g brush, at 45ft, by holding the bottom section and just lifting. It probably could take a greater weight but as you say what's the point.

I can now go and do a very full days commercial work, working from 5th storey down and come home feeling almost refreshed (well not quite!). It has taken the 'fear' factor out of 5th storey work for me, anyone who does this height work regularly will know what I mean.

Alex

sair

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2006, 09:08:38 pm »
hi alex
i didt realy want to comment as it means others will want one but the future in poles is here
and i mean that i have tested alot of poles and had alot of knowledge in sysytems and building them and in using poles about just over 7 years

its different but not so different in use its compact you can fit the 60 foot pole in a small van ie kango as we now do
in setting up and down its a two man pole. working with though its a one man pole you  dont get tired, we tend to work near each other at height then the other  will come and help lower to next floor removeing the lower tubes .  water tube  on outside slightly put me of but the weight outweighs that issue

i can rinse a 65 foot widow in the normal manner to a 18 foot window, going to 80 foot i dont see a problem due to the lack of flex next week or two l will try it at 72 foot i dont see it as a problem

i dont like to say things about other poles but i will not use another pole at that height again the flex is minimal hardly any. my 4/5 year old can put the 60 above her head and she can lift from floor to upright the 45 pole section and i dont make her work and she not a russian shot putter honestly .

in all its a good pole yes you need to take care of it, handle and put away  neatly not just chucking it about , so you should with all your poles.

i ve askied about  a telescopic version up to 35 , it may add a little bit weight , but with just one setting at certain levels. due to its lightness you dont need to keep making minor adjustments i think this to me would be an awsome addition along with the the 45-60

brush head you laugh when you see but only in a contemptable way its a great brush at height it cleans ecceptionaly well and doesnt collect dirt

my trouble is i dont want to use a glass fiber 18- 24 whats the point i feel its suitable for domestic as jeff would agree " but a telescopic versin would be sweet - go on make me one please "

in all i cant see any down side apart from the fact i now do a few more higher floors before i bring in the abseilers

great development its made my life alot easier and the jobs come up alot cleaner and i look forward to 60 foot work now, thanks for letting me take place in trialing this concept- i will try and take photos this month

kind regards
Essentially Pure Ltd

gaza

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 09:22:02 pm »
ALEX: wHAT YOU HAVE WRITTEN IS SPOT ON,its not for the fainthearted at lower levels,not three high 4 high,it snaped on ground level,1 section on the 4th house of the day. You required a accurate report , which will follow , but to be fair I FOUND YOUR COMPANY A PLEASURE TO BE ASSOCIATED AND DOING BUISS WITH AND EVEN THOUGH RETURNING THE POLE WILL DO BUISS WITH YOU AGAIN.

LIGHT YES ,EASY TO USE YES,BRUSH BRILLIANT,SERVICE ECEPTIONAL,PROBLEM SOLVING BRILLIANT.

Never really got to test it on 470 odd windows on an old peoples complex [thats a diff story]

a couple of points I will  report to you in my write up of the pole.

gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2006, 09:26:39 pm »
Hi Tony thanks for your comments and the Pictures (hopefully!).

We are working on a semi telescopic version up to 25ft, it may take a little doing but I think that I have come up with a way of acheiving it and keeping the weight down. If it works I will not want to use anything else (if it works!)

Hi Gary,

sorry 4 stories domestic work! Thanks for your positive comments, and maybe our next product will suit your work better. I look forward to your full feedback report, which will be published, along with the others, on our website

Alex

gaza

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2006, 10:04:44 pm »
ALEX:25FT TELESCOPIC ,BRING IT ON PAL,SURE FIRE WINNER.

GAZA
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

EasyClean

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2006, 10:08:09 pm »
I've been using this pole for several weeks now and I am very impressed with it overall. It's Unique Selling Points are:
1. It's VERY rigid allowing more control of the pole. I find it quicker cleaning windows with this pole as I'm not having to counteract any whipping movement caused with the likes of 'Ionic' 'Ergolite' carbon poles.
2. It's unbelievably light. My 60ft 'superlite' pole weighs in at less than the weight of 24ft Glass Fibre pole.
3. The brush head fitted to the superlite pole has less bristles (trapping less dirt) and 1mm jet nozzles fitted to it which I much prefer in comparison to the normal 2mm jets fitted to most brush heads. The brush head is very light, shaped with very rounded corners and bristles that splay out an angle allowing access into the most awkward corners of window frames. It is by far the best brush I have come across for cleaning sash windows. The only downside to this brush is that it requires more scrubbing to remove stubborn marks which I can live with considering it's advantages.
I did a 60ft buiders clean (it was BLACK) with it and found it very easy holding the pole for a long period BUT found it hard going on the scrubbing side. I think I will stick to using an 'Ionics superlite carbon pole' for initial builders cleans as I can give the pole some abuse so to speak, BUT definitely use this pole for every wash after that.
The cons to this pole:
1. It has to be handled carefully as all the sections are modular and can't be thrown around like most poles we take for granted.
2. On the hot days we've just had I found that the pole sections were hard to dismantle because they slipped up tight into one another. Trying to dismantle the last section of pole whilst keeping the pole brush head against the glass was tricky at times. I overcome this problem by fitting self adhesive velcro tape at the circumference point where two pole sections met when fitted together, this stopped the pole sections from tighten up any further allowing me to  dismantle the pole sections VERY easily.
The other disadvantage with this pole is that if you are working in a confined space i.e. near a busy main road with a narrow pavement or a wall, obstacle close behind you sometimes you haven't got the right REACH height for the pole (you're too close to the building or too far away) and can't access all of the window height. The only way around this is to have a spare pole section and cut the length in half to solve this problem.
With a spare half size pole of No's. 7,8,9, 13.0 & 14.5 this pole would be an ideal pole for all window heights excluding the ground level.
Alex Gardiner, the pole butt you sent me is very good as it allows me to raise the pole against the ground/building making life simpler and it also prevents the last pole section from being damaged should I accidently hit the pole against the ground whilst I'm cleaning the windows.
I replaced the hose that came with this pole for the hose that Ionics fit to their poles as it is lighter, coils easier when putting the pole away and doesn't stop the flow of water going up to the pole even if I'm standing on it by accident.
My overall opinion: A very light, rigid pole that I wouldn't be without, EVER!
Losing a customer is like waiting for the next bus, another one will come along shortly!