jo5hm4n

What Reel Hose to get?
« on: November 05, 2018, 03:44:57 pm »
Buying a New Reel for new van setup, wondering about what hose to get.  I've always used yellow 8mm 100m from Pure Freedom.  Cold water only.  Wondering what else there is on the market.

Cheers

Shrek

Re: What Reel Hose to get?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 03:57:33 pm »
Pure freedom electric hose reel

jo5hm4n

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 04:16:45 pm »

Doing a budget DIY.  More concerned with the hose to put on reel. 

Shrek

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 04:59:16 pm »

Doing a budget DIY.  More concerned with the hose to put on reel.

Apologies, I miss read your post 👍

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 05:01:19 pm »
Buying a New Reel for new van setup, wondering about what hose to get.  I've always used yellow 8mm 100m from Pure Freedom.  Cold water only.  Wondering what else there is on the market.

Cheers

get some 6mm microbore.....much easier to drag around than the hose you ve always used.....you ll never go back to 8mm hose.....i use the pure freedom red 6mm hose as i find its  better for hot water use than the standard gardiners yellow microbore i was using....
price higher/work harder!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 05:24:06 pm »
I actually go cheap, cheerful; repair and replace.

Claber reel from Gardiners. Then 66 metres (old hose which has lost its first few metres to wear and tear and which would otherwise be chucked away) of microbore plus 33 metres of Gardiner reinforced pole hose. (I buy 100 metres and cut it into 3 lengths ready for use.)

Really light to chuck about especially the first to be used 33 metres.

BUT - the reinforced pole hose is NOT recommended by Gardiners for reel use. And it will split or pinhole more quickly than microbore. So I make sure I have the gear to either superglue and tape a pinhole or if worse put a "mender" in for a short term repair. (Or just chop it off if within 5 metres of the tap.)

It is no cheaper than microbore per metre. It will increase in size under pressure so it looks like microbore so I make sure the lines are depressurised at the end of the day.

So why bother?

The value is in the lightness and so less tiring and easier to manhandle loops of the stuff to carry longer distances.

Also I "never" have to replace the 66 metres of microbore as it is used much less often than the final 33 metres of pole hose.
It's a game of three halves!

jo5hm4n

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 09:04:49 pm »

Cheers

get some 6mm microbore.....much easier to drag around than the hose you ve always used.....you ll never go back to 8mm hose.....i use the pure freedom red 6mm hose as i find its  better for hot water use than the standard gardiners yellow microbore i was using....

This is what i was thinking.  Trying the 6mm Microbore out for a change.  Is there much of a difference in flow?  What about the red 6mm hose for cold water?  I'm going to be using cold water most of the time but possibly warmer water with an immersion heater when i get round to setting that up

jo5hm4n

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 09:08:36 pm »
I actually go cheap, cheerful; repair and replace.

Claber reel from Gardiners. Then 66 metres (old hose which has lost its first few metres to wear and tear and which would otherwise be chucked away) of microbore plus 33 metres of Gardiner reinforced pole hose. (I buy 100 metres and cut it into 3 lengths ready for use.)

Really light to chuck about especially the first to be used 33 metres.

BUT - the reinforced pole hose is NOT recommended by Gardiners for reel use. And it will split or pinhole more quickly than microbore. So I make sure I have the gear to either superglue and tape a pinhole or if worse put a "mender" in for a short term repair. (Or just chop it off if within 5 metres of the tap.)

It is no cheaper than microbore per metre. It will increase in size under pressure so it looks like microbore so I make sure the lines are depressurised at the end of the day.

So why bother?

The value is in the lightness and so less tiring and easier to manhandle loops of the stuff to carry longer distances.

Also I "never" have to replace the 66 metres of microbore as it is used much less often than the final 33 metres of pole hose.

I had thought about using the Cheap n cheerful Clabber hose reel but i was worried about the plastic connector in the centre of the reel, doesn't it leak or need changing often?  The pure freedom more expensive reels come with metal fittings and never leak ever.  Thats only thing stopping me buying a clabber reel.

Love your idea about the 66m and the 33m, never thought of that before.  I have been using Gardiners Reinforced pole hose for 5 months now and i absolutely hate it.  The amount of times i have pin prick holes or punctures in the stuff is insane.  Happening atleast once a month.....

Thinking of going back to all season pole hose, or was thinking of trying blue exceed pole hose and using the hoseless system, connected to 6mm hose on reel.

Plankton

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 09:29:58 pm »
I've got 100m of facelift 8mm on a reel and on another 30m of old gardiners 6mm microbore on top of 60m of new gardiners 6mm microbore hose. The only problem with joining the hose is the O ring that's securing the hose snags on everything! Other than that the new gardiners microbore is very good.

I was contemplating ordering a new reel for the back of the van as currently lifting a Prolock reel in and out so could do with something with a handle.

Cookie

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 09:57:56 pm »
I recently moved from 8mm to 6mm hose. Not only can you get more on the reel, I'm also finding that 6mm snags less than 8mm.

I've also moved to tubeless and use a "slick connect" fitting to join my 6mm hose to some Exceed pole hose. It seems to be working quite well so far.

If you move from 8mm to 6mm remember to re-calibrate your controller.

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 10:48:09 pm »
if you ve been WFP for a few years i cant believe some of you still use 8mm hose and lift your reels in and out of the van!your just making your working day harder for yourselves....

get yourself a fixed reel with 6mm microbore (preferably electric) when funds allow........you wont regret it......

jo5hm4n

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 10:48:38 pm »
I recently moved from 8mm to 6mm hose. Not only can you get more on the reel, I'm also finding that 6mm snags less than 8mm.

I've also moved to tubeless and use a "slick connect" fitting to join my 6mm hose to some Exceed pole hose. It seems to be working quite well so far.

This sounds exactly like what i want to do.  So you use Exceed pole hose, connected with a slick connect onto a 6mm Microbore Reel Hose?  This defo sounds like what i need.  Lastly, do you use a Univalve with your setup.  I was worried maybe the Univalve would not work with the Tubeless setup.  Im starting fresh with a new diy system on second van so will figure out calibration when i set it all up.  Just wanted to make some changes first, been using the same hose for ages now time for a change.

Cookie

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 10:56:57 pm »

This sounds exactly like what i want to do.  So you use Exceed pole hose, connected with a slick connect onto a 6mm Microbore Reel Hose?  This defo sounds like what i need.  Lastly, do you use a Univalve with your setup.  I was worried maybe the Univalve would not work with the Tubeless setup.  Im starting fresh with a new diy system on second van so will figure out calibration when i set it all up.  Just wanted to make some changes first, been using the same hose for ages now time for a change.

Yes, I use Univalves on all my poles.

Plankton

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 11:41:16 pm »
if you ve been WFP for a few years i cant believe some of you still use 8mm hose and lift your reels in and out of the van!your just making your working day harder for yourselves....

get yourself a fixed reel with 6mm microbore (preferably electric) when funds allow........you wont regret it......
Fixed reels don't work for everyone as I found which is why I have a spare at the back. There is to many jobs where it's easier to lift the reel out and position where you want and gives you the option to shut the van up. (without cutting holes in the floor etc)

jo5hm4n

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2018, 10:15:22 am »

Yes, I use Univalves on all my poles.

Perfect, will give this a go on new setup  :) :) :)

jo5hm4n

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2018, 10:42:13 am »
Does anybody else us Clabber Hose Reel?  I know it's cheap and cheerful just wondering if it leaks and if they are lasting at all.

jonboywalton75

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2018, 04:07:53 pm »
No leaks for me on my caber reel, my son got about 5 years out of his last one and it still seems serviceable
I found however that 100 metres of some microbore tended to slip over the edges when reeling out, I cut 10 metres off mine and its fine.
I like  a fixed reel myself but that's just IMHO.
For a budget, value for money diy system I'd pay out the £45ish for one,  you can also pay £400 or whatever for a hose reel but that's not for some budgets

robbo333

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2018, 04:44:15 pm »
I have exactly the same setup as AuRavelling.
Claber reel and exactly the same hose configuration (nearly).

I like the Claber reel and when used in conjunction with microbore or pole hose, they are very light to reel in.
Had the reel for about 6 years and the spindle went (cost peanuts). I bought another reel while I was waiting for the spindle to arrive. I shall be turning it into an electric reel soon.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

dazmond

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2018, 06:06:56 pm »
Does anybody else us Clabber Hose Reel?  I know it's cheap and cheerful just wondering if it leaks and if they are lasting at all.

yes i used one for a while a few years ago.good budget reel.i gave it away to another window cleaner in the end.it rusted quite badly after 2 years and all the paint was flaking off.....

the brass elbow also used to leak occasionally but for £45 it was ok......

AuRavelling79

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2018, 06:08:17 pm »
No leaks on my claber. (Hoselock type connector sometimes leaks after several months and I just replace or try a new "O" ring first.)

I sit mine in a wooden tray with about 1" sides and a little piece of metal held lightly in place by a woodscrew that swivels over the base tube to hold it down. I can pull it to one side if I need to lift the reel out and shut the doors on the tank-reel  hose for security or angle.
It's a game of three halves!

DeLuce

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2018, 10:56:25 pm »
I’ve always used 6mm microbore. Light and flexible.
I also use slick-connect system. It worked great . Best connection for joining reel hose to pole hose imo. It saves the hose catching on objects so much in a days work. (Don’t bother if using hot though, it cracks with the heat over short time).Especially good with the Exceed innovation setup., Univalve.
You can use the red hose too, it'll be fine with cold and if you get the immersion fitted. I used thermobore for quite a few years and I was only using the immersion. It lasted really well.

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2018, 04:48:33 am »
we have run most hoses on the market stuff from the likes of pure freedom -super weak hose from water genie ect ect ect and after many changes and spending loads of cash trying different ones we have gone back to using gardiners hoses weather that been 8-6 ml we find them then best  of them all

the last of the none gardiners hose we have left is on a two man system 1x6ml from g and 1x red 6ml from pure freedom these were put on the same time and worked the same amount of hours and a year later the gardiners is better by far on cold morning to the point i am now thinking of binning the red stuff   just wish alex would make a different color then yellow

paul alan

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2018, 07:38:52 am »
I've been using the Gardiners green PU for months, it seems the best so far.

I would be reluctant to use it as me reel hose though as I run my across the roads often, I did hear about someone who did this and the wheel of a car picked up the hose and tore the pole out of his hands and dragged it down the street.

a900

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2018, 03:00:24 pm »
I've been using the Gardiners green PU for months, it seems the best so far.

I would be reluctant to use it as me reel hose though as I run my across the roads often, I did hear about someone who did this and the wheel of a car picked up the hose and tore the pole out of his hands and dragged it down the street.

That exact thing happened to me about 4-5 years ago. Avoid running the hose along main roads where possible now. Although the driver drove over where the hose had coiled over on itself.

P @ F

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2018, 05:47:05 pm »
I was running Gardiner green on my reel , but took it off due to the safety aspect above .
Its just too light
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

dd

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2018, 05:47:12 pm »
When I lay hose over a road I always make sure it is flat and not kinked or coiled. Personally I would not want a vehicle to run over pole hose though.

dazmond

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2018, 06:04:25 pm »
DO NOT use pole hose as reel hose....IMO its dangerous.....its too easy for it to loop in the air and cause more of a trip hazard or get caught on a moving vehicle......its not worth the risk......

Simon Trapani

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2018, 12:16:16 pm »

I’ve just switched from 8mm to 6mm and wow what a difference. Lighter & easier to manage & reel in. Pumps & controllers are fine with it. I was reluctant to change as my 8mm on both reels in one van was only just over a year old. Have always had fixed reels in both vans but now we have two reels in each & all 6mm. I would try electric but I’m not buying four!

premier window cleaners

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2018, 01:35:16 pm »
Whats 6mm like running 2 men off one hose using Y splitter?

Thanks

jonboywalton75

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2018, 04:27:18 pm »

Thanks
I didn't find it the best to be honest
I managed for 3 weeks with my son but any longer and I'd have fitted an extra pump

paul alan

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2018, 04:30:31 pm »

Thanks

When one turns off the others pressure goes up and vice versa, a nightmare.

jonboywalton75

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2018, 04:39:23 pm »

Thanks

When one turns off the others pressure goes up and vice versa, a nightmare.

Yeah it's not the best is it!!

NWH

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2018, 04:56:44 pm »
There are some that are better than others quality wise I can’t remember for the life of me which 1s the best make wise,I found over the years it’ll last far far longer if you are gentle with it inas much that you don’t yank it round brickwork etc. The best quality hose will split and tear if you abuse it,I just go for 6mm inner microbore with hot water water I’ve tried them all andas Daz has said 8mm might not sound much bigger but in reality it is,you’ll notice that 2mm far more unless you are on an electric reel.

Simon Trapani

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2018, 07:01:51 pm »

Thanks
As said above, pretty crap I would say. We have two pumps, two reels & two controllers in each van so no spike or slowdown in flow.

Simon Trapani

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2018, 07:15:59 pm »
DO NOT use pole hose as reel hose....IMO its dangerous.....its too easy for it to loop in the air and cause more of a trip hazard or get caught on a moving vehicle......its not worth the risk......
Yeh especially when you don't carry trip hazard cones anymore eh?! ;D