Stephen burton

Van system frozen
« on: March 04, 2018, 12:29:43 pm »
Anyone else having this problem still? Been stationary since Tuesday, the tank is fine after a couple of hours from the immersion heater but still no water coming through so I’m guessing pump and vessel must still be frozen, is it just a case of putting a heater in for a few hours?

Shrek

Re: Van system frozen
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 12:41:45 pm »
I had the same problem yesterday, so I went to the local aquarium and bought a couple of 300w fish tank heaters. I left them in from 4:30pm yesterday until this morning and now the water is flowing freely. I just cleaned my own windows to make sure everything is back to normal... and it is  :)

Simon Trapani

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 12:43:06 pm »
Anyone else having this problem still? Been stationary since Tuesday, the tank is fine after a couple of hours from the immersion heater but still no water coming through so I’m guessing pump and vessel must still be frozen, is it just a case of putting a heater in for a few hours?

Yes if hopefully you haven't cracked anything. Water expands when frozen.

In future remember prevention is better than cure - and quicker.

Just get an oil filled rad in there or get the immersion on on the cold nights.

nathankaye

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 01:32:11 pm »
As above.
The last time wd had it cold for a couple of days I wasnt working and totally forgot about the van.
It was mostly ok, but water in the pipe work and pump froze and caused some damage.
Now ive learnt not to forget the van simply cause im not working.
So now i turn the tap off at the tank and turn my pumo on to flush my pipes and hoses. Then depending on temp either throw some sleeping bags over my battery, hoses and pump or I stick a thermostatic radiator in back of van.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Blackadder

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 02:33:25 pm »
Thick snow and freezing temperatures all week in the south east, put a little radiator on in the back of the van 24 hours a day, until yesterday when I had some work planned and could finally get the van off the drive and guess what...still frozen, that’s wasted electric money on a non earning week  ::)roll

Shrek

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 03:12:41 pm »
Thick snow and freezing temperatures all week in the south east, put a little radiator on in the back of the van 24 hours a day, until yesterday when I had some work planned and could finally get the van off the drive and guess what...still frozen, that’s wasted electric money on a non earning week  ::)roll

That’s what I found too - the oil rad doesn’t stop the tank from freezing

tlwcs

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 03:43:44 pm »

That’s what I found too - the oil rad doesn’t stop the tank from freezing

Never got on with an oil filled radiator. Yes they get hot but the heat seems to rise and go straight out the roof. I use a 2kw fan heater set on frost, when it kicks in the heat seem to circulate before going through the roof.

Walter Mitty

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 04:02:09 pm »

I'm in Sussex.  It wasn't until late last night that my van was able to pump water through its outlet.  I could still hear ice fragments swishing around in the tank.  This was after maybe 36+ hours of +zero temperatures.
I did have a day of low-level trad work on Saturday, and that was my earnings for the whole week.  No problem - it was going to be a slack week anyway.
I'm guessing that you live farther north (most do).

paul alan

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 04:07:23 pm »
3kw immersion inside 650ltr uninsulated tank =giant radiator in van!

You can just feel the heat when you open the back door.

Simon Trapani

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 04:12:28 pm »
I'm in the South West and my oil filled rads had been on permanent for a few days solid in both my vans. No problems.

I do have 25mm polystyrene siliconed to the inside of my van roof which also minimises condensation. I keep it between 5-10 degrees C. Frost setting on rad wouldn't keep back of my van warm enough. I turn it up more to nearly max.

Maybe you need a bigger rad and/or some polystyrene in future?

I also bought a little LCD thermometer off ebay.

Shrek

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 04:14:48 pm »
I'm in the South West and my oil filled rads had been on permanent for a few days solid in both my vans. No problems.

I do have 25mm polystyrene siliconed to the inside of my van roof which also minimises condensation. I keep it between 5-10 degrees C. Frost setting on rad wouldn't keep back of my van warm enough. I turn it up more to nearly max.

Maybe you need a bigger rad and/or some polystyrene in future?

Do you use no nails glue or silicone to stick it to your roof? Or something else?
Cheers

Simon Trapani

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 04:20:32 pm »
High Modulous Silicone. Clear. Don't skimp on it, Big Beads.

Polystyrene sheets from Wickes.

Shrek

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2018, 04:21:07 pm »

Cheers pal

Plankton

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2018, 04:26:03 pm »
With the Facelift compact tank I put the oil heater next to the battery compartment and remove the cover so the heat catches under the tank and heats the plastic up and the water absorbs the heat which has worked well rather than just sticking it in the middle of the van.

andyM

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2018, 04:32:20 pm »
I've had a 2kw fan heater in the van for 7 hours now.
But the water tank is still like an ice mixer bucket.....
One of the Plebs

Simon Trapani

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2018, 04:36:52 pm »
Like I said, prevention is better than cure. It will take a while to thaw now it is actually frozen. Also you're risking split pipes etc from expansion by not preventing it freezing in the first place.

Stephen burton

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2018, 04:39:15 pm »
I have the pump running now but still no water, I think it’s my di vessel that needs a bit longer or the 3-4 hoses that gets it to my hose reel may have some ice in them still

robbo333

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2018, 04:42:24 pm »
I've left mine for 4 days...uncovered. I did drain the system though.
All defrosted and everything working fine.
Still ice in the top of the tank though. Time for a celebratory G&T with...ice!  ;D

As an aside:
My old ford connect with metal roof used to be dripping with condensation.
My new (rather old Toyota Hiace) has a factory fitted roof lining in the van. No condensation whatsoever!
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Tom-01

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2018, 04:48:30 pm »
I left my van for the whole week, put a oil radiator in on Friday for 24hrs, just tested it now and works fine. The other van at the unit I put a small fan heater in on Saturday so should be fine tomorrow. Unless of course Bumgle thinks I'm lying in which case we don't have any vans or any customers.

I'm actually looking forward to getting out there and doing something! One thing this week has taught me is that I want to be on the tools in some capacity for a while yet, probably 2/3 days a week and the rest refining/building. Bumgle if you want a job I'll have one for you in a couple of months?

capn sparkle

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2018, 07:31:53 pm »

Ah! That's what I should have done 4 yrs ago bloody condensation.

Cheers for the info for my next van.

dazmond

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2018, 08:19:07 pm »
Ok I might have spent a lot on a diesel heater lads but I don't have to worry about freezing tanks/pumps and hoses anymore......or remembering to put a heater in there....
price higher/work harder!

Stoots

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2018, 08:29:45 pm »
Hopefully we've seen the last of minus temps now until next winter.

Splash & dash

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2018, 08:30:52 pm »
Ok I might have spent a lot on a diesel heater lads but I don't have to worry about freezing tanks/pumps and hoses anymore......or remembering to put a heater in there....

Exactly we will be working at 8 am with nice hot water and warm hands no frozen water tanks 😂😂😂😂😂

Shrek

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2018, 08:33:37 pm »

First time my tanks froze in 3 years! Cost me £30 to sort it  :)

Frankybadboy

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2018, 08:45:48 pm »
heater in van for 2days non stop and everything is all ok  ;D ;D ;D

Splash & dash

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2018, 08:46:54 pm »

Very true but we have all the benefits of hot water in everyday use as well I get home at night just walk away from the van and know I don’t have to do a thing , but I accept it’s a personal thing how ones chose to work

Simon Trapani

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2018, 08:57:09 pm »
And here we go again........................ ;D

jonboywalton75

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2018, 09:43:56 pm »

Mine froze on Wednesday last week, defrosted it yesterday by putting about 100 litres of  hot tap water in  it, not sure what that cost.
I also worked more than Daz did last week 😁😁😁

Slacky

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2018, 10:11:11 pm »
100 litres of hot tap water? About 1p I expect.

I don’t get the tight wads on here whining about the cost of heating their vehicles with electric heaters for the last few days.

Just turn the heater off. Then you’ll see what it really costs.

Slacky

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2018, 10:12:00 pm »
A heater running 24 hours in the back of a van for a week will probably cost about a tenner, if that btw.

Splash & dash

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2018, 10:13:50 pm »
A heater running 24 hours in the back of a van for a week will probably cost about a tenner, if that btw.

Yes makes you laugh really they boast about what they are earning one muinet the next they cannot afford to take a few days off or heat a van funny that 😂😂😂😂😂😂