dazmond

Re: lease or buy advice please
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2018, 08:09:00 am »
leasing is defo not cheaper...what i did though was put some of my work up to cover the cost of the monthly rental.from enquiring about a new van to getting it delivered on my driveway took around 3 weeks....i had to pay 3 months rental up front.at the end of the lease(5 years)ill have paid out 13k.the balloon payment is 7k so thatll be 20-21k including VAT but the van should still be in good condition with around 20k on the clock.i could then have the van for another 5 years before selling it,or even another 5 years after that.

i have the option of trading it in after 5 years and getting another deal on a new van,or selling it to pay the balloon payment or just continue to pay my monthly rental and no balloon payment until i decide to sell it....

i went a bit overboard and got the top spec van(limited version)with heated drivers seat,air con etc.i could of got a cheaper deal on a bog standard version but i thought sod it.i wanted a bit of comfort in my working life after 25 years window cleaning.... ;D

Daz,
Whilst the van is still new I would make enquiries as to what level of rust protection Ford are applying to their vans made in Turkey (outside EU). If its questionable and you want to keep the van that long, then I would be looking to get a good rust treatment done now by a reputable center before the dreaded tin worm gets a foothold.

Hi Spruce, just picking your Brains if you don't mind, i have just recently bought a new Transit Custom, just wondering
what sort of Rust treatments are available for new vehicles, as i live near the sea in Galway ireland, the rust problem could
be a lot worse.

Larry

I'm not sure what level of protection the new Fords do have. This is something you need to take up with Ford Technical. They may also not be too committal with regard to this subject. After all, an owner of a previous Transit van may create trouble if he finds out that the van he bought a few months before the new model was released wasn't rust treated where the new model is. So none of the manufacturers released much info on this. (Actually, I didn't know that the facelift Citroen Dispatch from 2004 was galvanised dipped and I used to sell them. I did know that the pre-facelift Dispatch wasn't rust proofed. It didn't make sense to me that the Dispatch wasn't yet the Berlingo from 1999 was.)

I know that local the council have a batch of 10 plate Transit Connects. They had them since new. But I noticed two parked together and the sills were already rotten. These were made in Turkey. The Transit Connect was made there from its release back in 2003.

As I mentioned to Daz I don't know what Ford are doing now with regard to rust protection. Its EU legislated that vehicles built in EU have to have rust protection, but as Ford moved the factory from Southampton to Turkey for economic reasons, I am not sure what they can get away with, with Turkey not an EU member.

I think the biggest problem is finding a rust proofer that actually does a good job and actually sprays inside the channels and sills. I had mine done by the body shop that did a rust repair and it was a total joke. One of the inside of the mudguards they just sprayed over the mud still inside. They did nothing of what they were supposed to do. The result today is my sills are rusty.

Preferrably you need to take the day off and watch them do it. If they don't agree then you have to make the decision whether to trust them or not. After all, these treatments cost around £750 so you really need to know that they are doing a good job.

I still think that for internal box sections Waxoyl is still the one to beat, but there could be better products out there. You just need to do research.

my old transit connect was 11 years old and i had virtually NO rust on it apart from a bit on the drivers door,sills were fine.sometimes its just pot luck.....
price higher/work harder!

Dry Clean

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2018, 08:31:43 am »
leasing is defo not cheaper...what i did though was put some of my work up to cover the cost of the monthly rental.from enquiring about a new van to getting it delivered on my driveway took around 3 weeks....i had to pay 3 months rental up front.at the end of the lease(5 years)ill have paid out 13k.the balloon payment is 7k so thatll be 20-21k including VAT but the van should still be in good condition with around 20k on the clock.i could then have the van for another 5 years before selling it,or even another 5 years after that.

i have the option of trading it in after 5 years and getting another deal on a new van,or selling it to pay the balloon payment or just continue to pay my monthly rental and no balloon payment until i decide to sell it....

i went a bit overboard and got the top spec van(limited version)with heated drivers seat,air con etc.i could of got a cheaper deal on a bog standard version but i thought sod it.i wanted a bit of comfort in my working life after 25 years window cleaning.... ;D

Daz,
Whilst the van is still new I would make enquiries as to what level of rust protection Ford are applying to their vans made in Turkey (outside EU). If its questionable and you want to keep the van that long, then I would be looking to get a good rust treatment done now by a reputable center before the dreaded tin worm gets a foothold.

Hi Spruce, just picking your Brains if you don't mind, i have just recently bought a new Transit Custom, just wondering
what sort of Rust treatments are available for new vehicles, as i live near the sea in Galway ireland, the rust problem could
be a lot worse.

Larry

I'm not sure what level of protection the new Fords do have. This is something you need to take up with Ford Technical. They may also not be too committal with regard to this subject. After all, an owner of a previous Transit van may create trouble if he finds out that the van he bought a few months before the new model was released wasn't rust treated where the new model is. So none of the manufacturers released much info on this. (Actually, I didn't know that the facelift Citroen Dispatch from 2004 was galvanised dipped and I used to sell them. I did know that the pre-facelift Dispatch wasn't rust proofed. It didn't make sense to me that the Dispatch wasn't yet the Berlingo from 1999 was.)

I know that local the council have a batch of 10 plate Transit Connects. They had them since new. But I noticed two parked together and the sills were already rotten. These were made in Turkey. The Transit Connect was made there from its release back in 2003.

As I mentioned to Daz I don't know what Ford are doing now with regard to rust protection. Its EU legislated that vehicles built in EU have to have rust protection, but as Ford moved the factory from Southampton to Turkey for economic reasons, I am not sure what they can get away with, with Turkey not an EU member.

I think the biggest problem is finding a rust proofer that actually does a good job and actually sprays inside the channels and sills. I had mine done by the body shop that did a rust repair and it was a total joke. One of the inside of the mudguards they just sprayed over the mud still inside. They did nothing of what they were supposed to do. The result today is my sills are rusty.

Preferrably you need to take the day off and watch them do it. If they don't agree then you have to make the decision whether to trust them or not. After all, these treatments cost around £750 so you really need to know that they are doing a good job.

I still think that for internal box sections Waxoyl is still the one to beat, but there could be better products out there. You just need to do research.

my old transit connect was 11 years old and i had virtually NO rust on it apart from a bit on the drivers door,sills were fine.sometimes its just pot luck.....

No when it comes to transits its a lot more than pot luck if you get a rust free one, they are well known for being rust buckets
which in todays times is an absolute disgrace.
That said they are a real workhorse that can handle all sorts of abuse  so as long as that doesn't change the guys who use them will put up with the rust concerns.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2018, 11:30:13 am »
Be religious about putting money aside for van repairs - say £100 a month on standing order and that will help enormously.

Maybe put in an ISA and "ringfence" it from yourself.  ;D

I also used to do this, I saved for repairs which always covered any that needed doing, plus I saved for a replacement van so when the old one finally gave up the ghost I had enough to buy another half way decent one.

The only advantage of leasing (other than having a spanking new van) is that the interest/rental element of the payments is tax deductible.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2018, 03:05:15 pm »
Leasing is absolutely cheaper than buying.....
When you compare brand new vehicles.

Buying a vehicle is only cheaper, if you either buy very cheap, and run it for a while, or you buy a new vehicle, and keep it for say 8-10
Years.

I bought a van, but I also lease a pick up.

Over the 4 years I’ve had the pickup, it will save me about £12,000, instead of buying. 

I’ve got no hassle with worrying about repair bills, and even down time. The leasing company will
Provide me a replacement if it breaks down and needs repaired.

Both lease and buy have positives and negatives.

Sometimes it’s nice every 3 or 4 years to just get a new shiny vehicle that is reliable and won’t cost you money in down time.
I really can't see where leasing is cheaper than buying. It may well be lower monthly payments but on the long run will work out more expensive. Could you break down where you are saving 12K on the pick up, are you forgetting that if you buy you then have an asset?

NWH

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2018, 03:18:15 pm »
And I didn’t know I had a knock which I was I told was the DPF filter so I had the van remapped and at the same time had the DPF taken out of the electronics. A bit of advise for VW Transporter owners get it mapped mines now 180 brake it drives so so much better,when they say it makes it more fuel efficient they are right I’m hardly out of 5-6th gear now and it pulls up hills in 5th like it did in 3rd before.

Is that why the clutch /flywheel is pooped? 😁
No it was pooped before I’ve only just had it re mapped with the issues still I’m getting it done this week.

Spruce

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2018, 05:14:13 pm »
If you keep a van long enough then even replacing a tyre could mean spending more money on the tyre than the van's worth.

In days gone by, the rfl on the windscreen was sometimes worth more than the scrap value of the car. I also heard the sales manager ask how much fuel was left in the trade in.  ;D
I know that was funny, but some poor guy once filled his tank up and then he had a major mechanical failure a few miles on. It was worth removing the fuel from the car before it went to scrap.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2018, 05:15:30 pm »
What insurance implications does "re-mapping" have?

I mean - do you just have it done and cross your fingers if you have to make a claim?
It's a game of three halves!

NWH

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2018, 05:37:52 pm »
I’m quiet happy having to pay a bit out for it last year my expenses were very low to low in fact it ended up costing me money in extra Tax,in the March before I should have spent a bit on new equipment etc at least I’d have had some nice new tools to use.

Jonny 87

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2018, 08:29:18 pm »
Leasing is absolutely cheaper than buying.....
When you compare brand new vehicles.

Buying a vehicle is only cheaper, if you either buy very cheap, and run it for a while, or you buy a new vehicle, and keep it for say 8-10
Years.

I bought a van, but I also lease a pick up.

Over the 4 years I’ve had the pickup, it will save me about £12,000, instead of buying. 

I’ve got no hassle with worrying about repair bills, and even down time. The leasing company will
Provide me a replacement if it breaks down and needs repaired.

Both lease and buy have positives and negatives.

Sometimes it’s nice every 3 or 4 years to just get a new shiny vehicle that is reliable and won’t cost you money in down time.
I really can't see where leasing is cheaper than buying. It may well be lower monthly payments but on the long run will work out more expensive. Could you break down where you are saving 12K on the pick up, are you forgetting that if you buy you then have an asset?

If you break down the payments.......

So the vehicle I am currently leasing now, is £32,000 new. ( brand new pick up with all the optional extras)

But over the 4 years I will be leasing it, I’ll only have paid £18,000.

So yes buying could work out cheaper in the long run, IF i was to keep it out of warranty, and run it for a few more years after it was paid off, but generally as soon as I’ve paid off a vehicle I’ve always just traded it in and started again.

This way I’m not having to put down a big deposit, I’ve just got a set monthly payment (which is tax deductible) and hassle free driving in a nice new vehicle.

It’s the first time I’ve ever leased a vehicle, but I can definitely see the appeal.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

dazmond

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2018, 06:54:22 pm »
at the end of the day we need a half decent van in order to work efficiently these days.years ago any old banger would do as long as you could get a roof rack on it! ;D different story these days if your WFP....

for very little initial outlay (usually 3 months rental)you can be driving around in  brand new shiny van for around £200 a month which is easily affordable for lots of us....
price higher/work harder!

NWH

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2018, 04:34:08 pm »
In the long run it’s a lot wiser to lease a new 1 everytime the warranty runs out so if it goes wrong just take it back and get it fixed with no bill if you do happen to get a wrongN. My van is almost going to cost me a years worth of lease payments at 300 a month this month I know we don’t get this kind of situation very often with vans but it does and can happen,if you e got the work it’s no brainer tbh if the WFP equipment wasn’t such a pain to have re fitted I’d have done that exact thing a couple of years ago.