Bungle

Re: glass scratched
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 10:41:20 pm »
I switched off when 'while driving to scotland' or whatever it was.

By all means Bungle, start an interesting thread yourselve as its sorely needed

How about "Wibble Wibble Wibble"
We look at them, they look through them.

rosskesava

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 12:50:42 am »
Same, once when i was working traditionally I stood on a flat roof and my foot went right through!  They soon got a roofer out whilstbi was there and thankfully he confirmed what i had told them. That the wooden boards under the felt were rotten and it wasnt my fault!  However, i lived 5 mins away and went home picked up some equipment and did a temporary patch work till they got it sorted. As a goodwill gesture on my part regardless how they behaved.
So if i thought it was genuinely my fault i would sort it out, but i cant see how it can be

You and the customer have absolutely no evidence what so ever that it was your fault. That's all there is to it. It is all guess work by the customer based on what they think.

All the few complaints I've ever had about scratches on glass have been during Oct and Nov which makes me think it has to do with the angle of the sun as mentioned in a previous thread.

My advice is to walk away after admitting nothing. Forget whether they are a good customer and all of that and forget whether you have some type of moral responsibility, no one can ever know what or who caused the scratches including you.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

dazmond

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2017, 08:07:58 am »
Same, once when i was working traditionally I stood on a flat roof and my foot went right through!  They soon got a roofer out whilstbi was there and thankfully he confirmed what i had told them. That the wooden boards under the felt were rotten and it wasnt my fault!  However, i lived 5 mins away and went home picked up some equipment and did a temporary patch work till they got it sorted. As a goodwill gesture on my part regardless how they behaved.
So if i thought it was genuinely my fault i would sort it out, but i cant see how it can be

You and the customer have absolutely no evidence what so ever that it was your fault. That's all there is to it. It is all guess work by the customer based on what they think.

All the few complaints I've ever had about scratches on glass have been during Oct and Nov which makes me think it has to do with the angle of the sun as mentioned in a previous thread.

My advice is to walk away after admitting nothing. Forget whether they are a good customer and all of that and forget whether you have some type of moral responsibility, no one can ever know what or who caused the scratches including you.

take this advice nathan.
price higher/work harder!

nathankaye

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2017, 09:50:57 am »

take this advice nathan.

I have!   My insurance company has all the details n pictures incase they persue it and thats where im leaving it. It has been on my mind as i dont like to be accused of something i know isnt me nor do i like the fact that people think that of me. So i was toying with some kind of compromise.......but I kept coming with the thought that they will only be happy of i take full responsibility of it!! Therefore i was coming to the conclusion of just walking away and then with the above advice it helped seal the deal in my head!

Cheers guys
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Jonny 87

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2017, 10:09:24 am »

Had this also. First time for me in about 15 years. I’ll be back round this week so will see.

The thing is I know he already has scratches in his glass that have been there since I started. I’ve noticed some on the main door glass panel where it’s clear someone has used a metal blade to remove something. Loads of little scratches all in one patch, not a long sweeping motion like you’d see IF a brush could even scratch. Which I’m convinced it can’t. Bristles on the glass with water flowing will never trap grit and drag it across the glass.

Time will tell.

Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

nathankaye

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2017, 11:06:44 am »
Plus im using hot where its between 60 -65 degrees c at the brush end so the bristles are really soft. Any dirt thats trapped would easily disolve and then like you mentioned there is a constant flow of water.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Dry Clean

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2017, 11:34:08 am »
Plus im using hot where its between 60 -65 degrees c at the brush end so the bristles are really soft. Any dirt thats trapped would easily disolve and then like you mentioned there is a constant flow of water.

How would hot dissolve grit ? (roll eyes) at the end of the day even if you had a piece of grit stuck in the bristles and it did scrape
the glass then the scrapes would be consistent with the movement of the brush, as you brush up and down the glass then they
would follow a similar pattern, if this isn't the case then its nothing to do with you end of.
Just to be clear you are 100% to blame for putting your foot through your customers roof rotten or not, its your job to check
if the roof is safe enough to walk on.

nathankaye

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2017, 12:43:33 pm »

How would hot dissolve grit ? (roll eyes) at the end of the day even if you had a piece of grit stuck in the bristles and it did scrape
the glass then the scrapes would be consistent with the movement of the brush, as you brush up and down the glass then they
would follow a similar pattern, if this isn't the case then its nothing to do with you end of.
Just to be clear you are 100% to blame for putting your foot through your customers roof rotten or not, its your job to check

2 points, i didnt say disolve grit but dirt!  and that i have soft bristles so the bristles arent to blame, no dirt in bristles and flowing water to rinse the dirt out.

2nd the roof, sorry buddy i aint no roofer and unless i have my damp detection device with me there is no way of knowing what lays beneath the felt. There wasnt any puddles nor dips in the roof and by all accounts visibly safe to walk on.  Which the most part it was, until i went across to the next window and foot went it. But from the piece that came off and the remaining boards which were visible it was clear to see how bad the roof was
On top of that a qualified roofer also supported this, hence no charges or bills put to me!

But as far as the scratched glass is concerned, im not concerned anymore....simple as.
But cheers for everyones advice
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Soupy

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2017, 01:10:17 pm »

2 points, i didnt say disolve grit but dirt!  and that i have soft bristles so the bristles arent to blame, no dirt in bristles and flowing water to rinse the dirt out.

2nd the roof, sorry buddy i aint no roofer and unless i have my damp detection device with me there is no way of knowing what lays beneath the felt. There wasnt any puddles nor dips in the roof and by all accounts visibly safe to walk on.  Which the most part it was, until i went across to the next window and foot went it. But from the piece that came off and the remaining boards which were visible it was clear to see how bad the roof was
On top of that a qualified roofer also supported this, hence no charges or bills put to me!

But as far as the scratched glass is concerned, im not concerned anymore....simple as.

Me neither. The exact reason you won't catch me on a roof.

Dry Clean

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2017, 02:29:44 pm »

2 points,
1. Dirt doesn't scrape glass it takes something like grit so harping on about hot just makes you look like a fool.
2.  Its not hard take a look at the underside of a roof from inside a garage and judge if it safe enough to stand on, if this simple task is beyond you then as Soupy said avoid roofs.
I fell off a tiled garage roof a while back because the tiles where too greasy, it was my own stupid fault and I didn't blame the customer for the fact that their tiles where greasy.
If your going to get onto a roof then its your responsibility to make sure that roof is safe to be on, put it this way if you had fallen through the roof and injured yourself or somebody in the garage you would have been liable rotten roof or not.

nathankaye

« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2017, 03:22:49 pm »

2 points,
1. Dirt doesn't scrape glass it takes something like grit so harping on about hot just makes you look like a fool.
2.  Its not hard take a look at the underside of a roof from inside a garage and judge if it safe enough to stand on, if this simple task is beyond you then as Soupy said avoid roofs.
I fell off a tiled garage roof a while back because the tiles where too greasy, it was my own stupid fault and I didn't blame the customer for the fact that their tiles where greasy.
If your going to get onto a roof then its your responsibility to make sure that roof is safe to be on, put it this way if you had fallen through the roof and injured yourself or somebody in the garage you would have been liable rotten roof or not.

Erm.......dont think so
But do agree with the non wise attempt to scale a roof with slippery tiles for the sake of a couple of quid for that window. I too wouldnt blame the owner on that one.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Soupy

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2017, 03:41:34 pm »
I agree it's not your responsibility to fix a rotten roof but if you hurt yourself or anybody else you'd have been responsible for that. Unless of course you'd done a risk assessment and concluded that walking on a rotten roof was the safest practicable option...

Dry Clean

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2017, 05:13:41 pm »
I agree it's not your responsibility to fix a rotten roof but if you hurt yourself or anybody else you'd have been responsible for that. Unless of course you'd done a risk assessment and concluded that walking on a rotten roof was the safest practicable option...

Even then he would still be liable as the safest option would be not to attempt the job unless it could be done without walking on the roof.
He would also be responsible for making the roof watertight if it had been before his mishap rotten or not.

Soupy

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2017, 05:20:08 pm »
Even then he would still be liable as the safest option would be not to attempt the job unless it could be done without walking on the roof.

Obvs

He would also be responsible for making the roof watertight if it had been before his mishap rotten or not.

Hmmm, not sure you can claim that, if the roof is already goosed it's already goosed.

Steve Weatherley

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2017, 09:22:11 pm »
I have seen this about 4 times in 12 years. I NEVER accept responsibility. To think the soft brushes we use could cause such damage is utter drivel!

Og

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2017, 06:57:43 am »
If we are required to walk on a roof with unknown integrity, we put boards down. Bit of a hassle but better than putting your foot in it.