Jack Judd

Need to buy a new van to hold 800 litre tank.  Where do I start looking.  How do you reduce the risk of ending up with the engine that has been driven into the ground by that DPD delivery driver?  Any advice welcome

andyM

Re: Where to buy a second van auction, ebay, dealers or side of road???
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 02:47:10 pm »
Over the years I've found buying second hand vans to be a real lottery and have been mostly unlucky.
I bought a new van 4 years ago and haven't looked back.
My advice would be to buy the newest van you can afford, and if buying used look for something with a genuine up to date service history.
One of the Plebs

EandM

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 04:42:38 pm »
Need to buy a new van to hold 800 litre tank.  Where do I start looking.  How do you reduce the risk of ending up with the engine that has been driven into the ground by that DPD delivery driver?  Any advice welcome

Run the registration number through any of the online history checkers. Look how many miles it's done in a year, delivery vehicles will always have disproportionately high miles for their age. Look at the consistency of miles year on year. Look at the MOT history and note the failures, the advisories and whether or not the advisories are failures the following year. These are only simple things but they give you a very good idea of how a vehicle has been treated.

Delta

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 04:54:37 pm »
Simples.....Contract Hire.

Fully tax deductible.

Road tax paid.

Roadside assistance.

Under manufactures warranty.

New van every three years.

Higher spec model van.

Monthly payment equals less than days turnover.

Jack Judd

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 08:46:10 pm »
Thank you.  Due to the recession in 2008 and a previous life, I can't get credit.  I have however due to the success of my business secured a certain amount of investment for  a second hand van.  Ideally I would go new as that would make sense as a tax deductible item, but I can't, it needs to be second hand.  Good advice, but if anyone knows of a better place to start for buying a second hand van , please let me know.  I am clueless to a point.  My friend, also in the business just bought a van off ebay 2014 137000 on the clock for £4000, but it feels a gamble.

Delta

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 08:51:48 pm »
Try Stoneacre. They do Black box finance for customers with not so good credit history. The APR is good as well.

http://www.stoneacre.co.uk/pay-as-you-go-car-finance

Og

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 10:25:32 pm »
Last time I went to the auctions, there was a van whisperer!
He was a toothless old guy, long grey hair and naked from the waist up. Every time a van came through, he'd close his eyes and place a hand on the bonnet, motor running, mumbling to himself like a post modern Gandalf, and then either bid high or stand back.
Quality.

Marc Stock

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 11:24:55 am »
Thank you.  Due to the recession in 2008 and a previous life, I can't get credit.  I have however due to the success of my business secured a certain amount of investment for  a second hand van.  Ideally I would go new as that would make sense as a tax deductible item, but I can't, it needs to be second hand.  Good advice, but if anyone knows of a better place to start for buying a second hand van , please let me know.  I am clueless to a point.  My friend, also in the business just bought a van off ebay 2014 137000 on the clock for £4000, but it feels a gamble.

Close Brothers do special finance for your situ.

If you need a good quality van with no surprises, forget a new 3 year old affair all new vehicles have been built to fail anyway now. One small electrical problem can cost  £1000's

Go for a 10 year old 'simple 'van with full service history and low miles, take a 3rd of your budget and get it fully checked over once purchased. You can also pay for an aa inspection.

By the way your information is incorrect..you can claim capital allowances on any vehicle it doesn't have to be new or on a lease anymore

Stoots

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 11:48:33 am »
As new as possible is the answer.

I mean you can buy 2 second hand vans both the same mileage and history etc and one turn out to be great the other a money pit.

It's a lottery.

If you haven't got the money or credit rating to buy nearly new then imo you may as well but s van for a grand vs 5 grand. Both are just as likely to go bang but at least with the cheap one you can just replace them.

In fact buying the cheapest van u can and driving them into the ground and buying another I'd likely to work out cheaper than buying a new van with depreciation

Cookie

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 12:13:02 pm »
From my experience ex-BT vans are well looked after. Full service history & I believe usually just one driver (unlike Royal Mail vans for example).

I have an ex-BT 54 plate Vauxhall Combo & it's been very reliable for a vehicle of its age.

Spruce

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 05:21:46 pm »
From my experience ex-BT vans are well looked after. Full service history & I believe usually just one driver (unlike Royal Mail vans for example).

I have an ex-BT 54 plate Vauxhall Combo & it's been very reliable for a vehicle of its age.

Agree.

Stay away from red vans and be very selective about what you buy.

Ebay has been good to me over the years, but you need to be careful. I've rejected 2 vehicles from Ebay when the description didn't match the unit for sale.

One of the issues I see is that mileages of second hand vans are going up and so is the price.

I would be very sceptical of vans with 120k on the clock. No matter what they say, vans at those mileages are well worn and going to cost money in repairs.  I also advise anyone to check the vans MOT history on the website. I've often seen a van advertised that "no expense spared" with regard to maintenance, only to see that they only spent money on the failure faults to get the van through MOT and ignored the advisories. I won't even look at it futher.

"This van is a credit to its previous owner" is another one. The MOT history usually tells another story.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 09:57:23 pm »
we jut got a bargin 62 reg combo 1.7cdti one owner 66k on the clock cat c with side damage 800  + vat  !  after spending 450 on getting the side fixed and re tested, its  on the road and earning got it from hbc  some good deals to be had if your in the right place at the right time

Richard Stevenson

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 07:54:32 pm »
Google motorpoint vans

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 10:52:05 am »

New or second hand- it's all tax deductable. Finance or cash- it's still tax deductable. Don't be fooled into spending more money than reasonably justified to reduce tax liability.
Comfortably Numb!

robbo333

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 06:22:54 pm »
I recently purchased a Toyota Hiace for £3.5k.  Looks mint in silver, I owner, fsh, every mot etc. High mileage though. It took me a while to find one, but at the moment i'm very happy with it. Will stick a 650 tank in it soon.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

windowswashed

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2017, 12:08:42 am »
Ebay have lots of scams on vans at the moment so be careful and don't pay an invoice bill if sent

Jack Judd

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2017, 05:01:30 pm »
Thank you for all your advice.  I will start the process this weekend and see where we end up.  Have been looking at different options for water proofing the floors.  Any one had a good experience or bad experience with water proof paints etc?  Have a good weekend everybody and thanks for the feedback.  Jack Judd

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2017, 08:12:09 am »
Thank you for all your advice.  I will start the process this weekend and see where we end up.  Have been looking at different options for water proofing the floors.  Any one had a good experience or bad experience with water proof paints etc?  Have a good weekend everybody and thanks for the feedback.  Jack Judd

speed line the best (around 1400 pounds)

fibberglass next (around 600) getting a company to do it

poopacoat paint 2 tins 80 pounds will look rubbish in 6  months and doesnt do the job rubbish stuff

however ive just fiberglassed a combo out myself ! didnt have a clue on how to do it followed vids on yo tube , doubled up the matting on the floor (over kill) one top coat in grey cost £89 pounds ! well happy with it ill post some pics later

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2017, 09:05:23 am »
I've never waterproofed a van yet,  never needed to.  I prefer to build a system that doesn't leak instead. :)
Comfortably Numb!