Smudger

Re: DIY diesel heater.....
« Reply #260 on: August 28, 2019, 03:52:19 pm »
I saw that on Lee's video - that may be an option if/when I move but that would be purely air heating and not water - it cost enough to wire in 6 new sockets with 16 amp plugs and breakers where I am now

I mulling over several ideas and options

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

a900

« Reply #261 on: October 06, 2019, 09:01:57 am »
Finally got my DIY diesel heater set up in a more professional box. Now set up with twin user and working perfectly. Still using the Heat exchanger on the exhaust which can raise the water temp around 10c before it gets into the normal heat exchanger.

Still running kerosene. Starting and stopping with no smoke. Stopped using waste oil for now 😂

Went back to gas over the summer to use up the gas supplies. But had a small fire that put itself out

Ripped out the gas straight away and a warning to all the gas users. We think a scrim had fallen on the gas boiler rather than an internal fault. But still won’t use it again.

Jonny 87

« Reply #262 on: October 06, 2019, 12:41:03 pm »
When you say you think it was a scrim...... are you sure? Surely you could see the burnt cloth.

It may well be just the heat from its constant use which has caused  that.

Very close call,  Similar to mine. I chucked mine too.

Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

a900

« Reply #263 on: October 06, 2019, 01:31:03 pm »
When you say you think it was a scrim...... are you sure? Surely you could see the burnt cloth.

Well we smelt a burning smell when we got in the van but as first thought someone was having a garden fire in the area. Second time we got in the van for a slip noticed the smell was only in the van

Opened the side door and it was like an episode of stranger things in the upside down. Little scrim fibres ashy and wafting through the air. Turned he gas off straight away Cus that was next to me.

Inspected the boiler and the fire was out by that point. I took the boiler apart to diagnose the cause. All the burning was up the back of the unit and there was no ash or burning inside the unit.

I think it could have been worse if it wasn’t for the fact I had mounted the diesel heaters steel box in the van and the gas burner was cobbled together mounted on it. So the fire was sort of contained in the box rather than touching anything else

Either way it’s out of the van now and the cheap Chinese gas boilers are not suitable for our industry. ( they say outdoor use only on them anyway and don’t have proper venting) Why is it gas engineers have to have qualifications and there equipment requires calibration?

Because if it’s all done wrong people die in houses

P @ F

« Reply #264 on: October 11, 2019, 03:26:12 pm »
Well as my fabricator was still on a go slow I decided to pay him a little visit to perk him up a bit !
Saw him at 1.30 and he’s not even started it !
He told me to pop back at 4.45 and it would be done , hmmm  ??? ???
Well let’s just see then !
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

NWH

« Reply #265 on: October 11, 2019, 04:02:14 pm »
You do know these  little toy burners are not meant to be used for 6-7 hours a day cleaning windows don’t you,good for hosing the dog off after a walk or you’re boots but not for day after day waterfed poling.

Smudger

« Reply #266 on: October 11, 2019, 05:12:40 pm »
You do know these  little toy burners are not meant to be used for 6-7 hours a day cleaning windows don’t you,good for hosing the dog off after a walk or you’re boots but not for day after day waterfed poling.

I take it your referring to the gas heaters

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

NWH

« Reply #267 on: October 11, 2019, 05:36:25 pm »
Yeah I am sorry if I’ve got confused with another form of heater but the only other  Gas one I know of is the concept system.

Spruce

« Reply #268 on: October 11, 2019, 05:46:27 pm »
Finally got my DIY diesel heater set up in a more professional box. Now set up with twin user and working perfectly. Still using the Heat exchanger on the exhaust which can raise the water temp around 10c before it gets into the normal heat exchanger.

Still running kerosene. Starting and stopping with no smoke. Stopped using waste oil for now 😂

Went back to gas over the summer to use up the gas supplies. But had a small fire that put itself out

Ripped out the gas straight away and a warning to all the gas users. We think a scrim had fallen on the gas boiler rather than an internal fault. But still won’t use it again.

I would love to see how you have fitted the heater inside that enclosure please.  Also, what enclosure is it A900 please?
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

P @ F

« Reply #269 on: October 11, 2019, 06:35:54 pm »
A man of his word !
Just have to test out this new design , let’s hope it gives as good results as the copper coil setup  :D

a900

« Reply #270 on: October 11, 2019, 08:19:46 pm »
Can we get some more details on the converted air heater...

Are you still using copper coils in the exhaust stream?

I’m using a Rittal enclosure I found on eBay cheap.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/uk.rs-online.com/mobile/amp/p/wall-boxes/1113715/

Changed the opening method Cus I didn’t have room in the van to swing a door. From the outside atleast it’s looking very professional.  Will get some photos of the insides when I can. 

P @ F

« Reply #271 on: October 11, 2019, 08:37:12 pm »
A900 , how freaky is that , my father in law was a manager at Rittal for years in Plymouth !

I have moved away from the copper coils for a minute , wanted to simplify things , will find out tomorrow !
I went back to shell and tube design to keep the temps down in van , if it doesn’t give the same/better water temps then I will put a coil inside as well , 2 heat exchangers rolled into 1

P @ F

« Reply #272 on: October 11, 2019, 08:41:56 pm »
Might be a bit difficult though as the fabricator downsized the exhaust exit , I asked him to leave it at 57mm to give me the option, must have fallen on deaf ears  ::)roll

a900

« Reply #273 on: October 11, 2019, 10:20:05 pm »
A900 , how freaky is that , my father in law was a manager at Rittal for years in Plymouth !

I have moved away from the copper coils for a minute , wanted to simplify things , will find out tomorrow !
I went back to shell and tube design to keep the temps down in van , if it doesn’t give the same/better water temps then I will put a coil inside as well , 2 heat exchangers rolled into 1

Have you gone single tube or multiple? Going to be a lot more efficient to have multiple tubes as there is more surface area to transfer the heat

Got my enclosure for £25. Bargain

I’m burning kerosene now as it’s cheaper

P @ F

« Reply #274 on: October 12, 2019, 03:38:15 pm »
It’s only the one tube , the whole of it has a 1.5mm jacket of water between the inner and outer tubes.
Will know shortly as I’m about to fit it all up

P @ F

« Reply #275 on: October 12, 2019, 04:59:34 pm »
It’s almost D day
Just need fuel , power and water !

a900

« Reply #276 on: October 12, 2019, 05:33:51 pm »
Impressed with your ideas

I’m sure something like this would transfer more heat as it has more surface area with multiple tubes to transfer the heat

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F222626820529

I would be really interested to know what the temperature of the exhaust is after your exchanger. As it will give you an idea how much further you can go as far as removing heat from the exhaust stream

Also this is an interesting video .. https://youtu.be/a-qtbyvjNIo

P @ F

« Reply #277 on: October 12, 2019, 06:00:43 pm »
Not sure about the eBay link , it says 213c is max temp , the burn tube goes above 650c and that is where my IR Thermometer stops !

a900

« Reply #278 on: October 12, 2019, 06:22:52 pm »
Not sure about the eBay link , it says 213c is max temp , the burn tube goes above 650c and that is where my IR Thermometer stops !

That heat exchanger was just to give an idea what I mean but I’m sure it would work

Our burners are made of aluminium which melts at 660c. But they don’t melt Because they have water in them they will never be that hot. Or in the case of the air heater because it’s cooler by an air stream 

It might be worth long term adding a thermal cut out in the exchanger as the webastos are set up. Protecting the exchanger and for safety. Think the webasto I’ve got has a 120c thermal cut out in its heat exchanger

P @ F

« Reply #279 on: October 12, 2019, 07:22:23 pm »
These air heaters have lots of failsafes ,   overheat , under temp , low voltage , over fuel , under fuel , motor fail , air ratio , flame out , if any parameters are broken then they shut down , they really don’t get the credit they are due !