chopsie

Hot water through resin
« on: November 30, 2017, 08:38:59 pm »
Hi all. Those of you that run hot water from their tap at home into the tank in the van and then through the resin, does it use the resin up a lot quicker? My tap water is about 69ppm but coming out of the hot tap it's well into the hundreds, but I believe you need a TDS meter that takes into account the hot water to get a true reading?
chopsie

Jonny 87

Re: Hot water through resin
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 11:15:49 pm »
You will find That your resin will expire much quicker using hot.

The hot water effects the resin beads. That was my experience anyway.

Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Pete Thompson

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 11:24:18 pm »
but I believe you need a TDS meter that takes into account the hot water to get a true reading?

No, the TDS meter is giving you a true reading.

TDS meters measure conductivity, and the only thing that carries charge in water is the dissolved ions of the solid.  If the TDS meter reads 100 ppm of dissolved solids, it does not matter what the temperature of the water is, there really are 100ppm dissolved in it.

I don't know why hot tap water has more dissolved solids than cold tap water, but it does.  It's not a trick of the TDS meter.

davids3511

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 12:40:57 pm »
You will find That your resin will expire much quicker using hot.

The hot water effects the resin beads. That was my experience anyway.
I'm using hot though resin right now, not made any difference at all.

alank

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 01:15:00 pm »
Been using hot from the tap through resin since start of November everything been fine no spotting or any other quality problems. Cleaned a large property during the week that had not been touched for over 15 years it came up immaculate as for the resin depleting sooner I haven't been using hot long enough to comment so in my opinion I would say if your lucky enough to be di only then why not clean with hot via the cheapest option ie the hot tap and just keep an eye on your own water purity and resin usage but I can honestly say that once I've used hot water I won't be going back to using cold.

chopsie

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 04:02:48 pm »
Thanks all. That’s the trouble on here, you get so many conflicting answers. I know that hot water affects the TDS meter as they sell ones specifically to take hot water in to account. I have tried my hot water out of the tap and it reads well into the hundreds (maybe into the 200’s, I can’t remember) but once it’s cooled down it reads 69 again, the same as the cold tap, this led me to research if TDS meters are affected by hot water. I was hoping some actual users would be able to tell me if it eats resin or affects quality. I did try it a couple of weeks ago for a day and seemed to ruin my resin, but that might of been a false reading. Suppose I better buy a better TDS meter and trial it. Thank you all for your replies
chopsie

chopsie

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 04:05:47 pm »
Been using hot from the tap through resin since start of November everything been fine no spotting or any other quality problems. Cleaned a large property
during the week that had not been touched for over 15 years it came up immaculate as for the resin
depleting sooner I haven't been
using hot long enough to comment
so in my opinion I would say if your
lucky enough to be di only then why
not clean with hot via the cheapest
option ie the hot tap and just keep
an eye on your own water purity
and resin usage but I can honestly
say that once I've used hot water I
won't be going back to using cold.
That sounds promising. What is your tap TDS reading?
chopsie

alank

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 04:28:22 pm »
Tds  readings today from cold tap was 42ppm hot tap 83ppm  once the hot tap water had cooled it was 40ppm filled tank with hot from tap took reading from brush head 0.0ppm the water had cooled a bit going through hose etc but still warm.

Jonny 87

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 05:47:28 pm »
Been using hot from the tap through resin since start of November everything been fine no spotting or any other quality problems. Cleaned a large property during the week that had not been touched for over 15 years it came up immaculate as for the resin depleting sooner I haven't been using hot long enough to comment so in my opinion I would say if your lucky enough to be di only then why not clean with hot via the cheapest option ie the hot tap and just keep an eye on your own water purity and resin usage but I can honestly say that once I've used hot water I won't be going back to using cold.

The difference you will notice, (or that I noticed a few years back) was that it was fine to a point, then I was getting less of a life span out the resin.

Could be different now with resin? Only you can know I guess. If you get the exact same life out of your resin hot or cold, then something has changed.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

alank

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 06:24:25 pm »
I will monitor how the resin performance works out over the winter months and as long as the increase  in usage isn't to great I will continue as is. If however the costs incurred start to increase to an unacceptable level I will change the method of producing hot pure water accordingly as I'm convinced that the benefits of using hot water compared to cold are worth it.

Spruce

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 06:30:13 pm »
Hi all. Those of you that run hot water from their tap at home into the tank in the van and then through the resin, does it use the resin up a lot quicker? My tap water is about 69ppm but coming out of the hot tap it's well into the hundreds, but I believe you need a TDS meter that takes into account the hot water to get a true reading?

I've never seen one of them.  I've seen one that has a temperature button on it as well to read the temperature of the water and a separate button to read the tds of the water but not one that combines the info.

Have you got a link please?

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

chopsie

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 06:51:34 pm »
http://hmdigital.com/product/com-100/

This one for example has 'automatic temperature compensation'. I believe that is what is needed? Although I'm trying to find more information on this.
chopsie

chopsie

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 07:02:04 pm »
This has a section saying about temperature affecting it
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-04/rhf/feature/
chopsie

Spruce

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2017, 08:51:26 pm »
http://hmdigital.com/product/com-100/

This one for example has 'automatic temperature compensation'. I believe that is what is needed? Although I'm trying to find more information on this.

Thats interesting. Thanks.
Ive never seen one of those before.

HM digital are a genuine tds meter manufacturer.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

alank

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2017, 07:50:32 am »
Thanks for posting the link chopsie that explains a lot .cheers.