PAUL ERITH

HMRC tax return Lost receipts ?
« on: April 09, 2013, 05:27:55 pm »
What does every one else do when they find out they have lost a receipt ?

Lucky for me it was only £10 odd for some stationery and i paid by card so left it as i will have proof of purchase on my bank statement but what do you do if you paid cash  ???

Thanks Paul

Tom White

Re: HMRC tax return Lost receipts ?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 05:32:50 pm »
It's just tough poo poos I reckon.

scottt24

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 05:35:47 pm »
Just put it through the books with a note against it saying "post receipt"
It will only ever be an issue if tax man checks your books
The accountant I used to use assured me this was ok as long as its not a regular occurance for lots of money
Thanks,
              Scott

Paul H

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 05:37:59 pm »
What does every one else do when they find out they have lost a receipt ?

Lucky for me it was only £10 odd for some stationery and i paid by card so left it as i will have proof of purchase on my bank statement but what do you do if you paid cash  ???

Thanks Paul

This is why you should just card everything regardless of cost even if you have £££££££ in your wallet from the days earnings

Roy Harding

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 06:05:07 pm »
Years ago, I had all my receipt all in date order and stapled in order of months in a box in my office. And found out our new kitten thought it was a great place to wee and crap, I did not find out for some weeks.

So I put them all in a plastic bag and told the accountant, if he wanted to see them he was welcome. ;D

Funny that year he took me at my word. ;D

Roy

p1w1

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 06:42:41 pm »
Years ago, I had all my receipt all in date order and stapled in order of months in a box in my office. And found out our new kitten thought it was a great place to wee and crap, I did not find out for some weeks.

So I put them all in a plastic bag and told the accountant, if he wanted to see them he was welcome. ;D

Roy

;D

dave0123

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 07:01:33 pm »
Just put it through the books as usual.. u can still claim for things u dont have a receipt for but your supposed to get a receipt every time u can
Dave.

Total shine cleaning services

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 07:37:49 pm »
I hope so, paid £175,for a rhino roof rack, shot upto where it was and collected, bloke took email address and said he would ping across a proper receipt, doesn't even answer his phone, can I claim this..?

graham

Rob Knapman

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 07:41:33 pm »
Buy yourself an old cheap cash register and print your own...lol ;D
Knapman Cleaning services, washing glass since 1945

mark turton

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 11:04:29 pm »
my accountant had hold of my receipts and lost 700quids worth, and was late and incurred 2 lots of penalties. needless to say eventually sorted and now with another accountant.  ???

mark turton

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 11:05:19 pm »
my accountant had hold of my receipts and lost 700quids worth, and was late and incurred 2 lots of penalties. needless to say eventually sorted and now with another accountant.  ???

MATT BATEMAN (OWC)

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 11:10:04 pm »
Mark was your first reply late and you thought you might penalised if you didn't submit it again?

Tom White

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 09:28:03 am »

Something similar happened to my ex father-in-law.  His accountant was an alkie, by the sounds of things.  Makes me smile.

SimonBurton

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 07:04:13 pm »
Went on a hmrc self employment course. They said they recognise some things do not have receipts, so they suggested buy some petty cash vouchers and use those to record un receipt end expenditure eg laundrette, car wash, airline, etc....

combat1

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 09:44:20 pm »
I bought a book of petty cash vouchers and if I forget to get a receipt just fill out a slip and file it. OK for small amounts.

SimonBurton

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 10:22:02 pm »
In some circumstances they will accept up to 50 quid if as a one off.....

JamesAJF

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 11:48:50 pm »
my accountant done exsacly the same thing but lost the whole lot and then he said he was ganna put his prices up over double what i nomaly payed him i think u probly no what i said to him  :-* my arse
bish bash bosh

Bens windows

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 05:38:49 pm »

Roy

Haha made me laugh!

Bens windows

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 05:40:26 pm »
Im terrible at keeping receipts ,but i pay for everything using credit card so if they want to investigate they will have to check that !