Philip Hanson

New Customer Cards
« on: February 23, 2004, 07:56:48 pm »
If you are just starting up, and getting stuck into canvassing, here's a tip I have found works quite well:

Once you have spoken to a customer and arranged to clean the windows, its nice to give the customer something so that the arrangement is 'concrete'

I use a small card (10cm x 15cm) folded in half to make a little 'menu' style shape with "Welcome!" and our company logo on the front.

Inside is a little bit about our service, answers to commonly asked questions (such as "what if I'm not home?" etc)

Finally on the back there is space to jot down the details of your arrangement like so:

Price £...............
Frequency .................
Special Instructions ........................

Its nice to give your new customers something to show you're a proper business, and they will appreciate the solidity of the arrangement.

Philip

PS if anyone is interested I could send you the template.  (But not if you are in Bristol!)
Editor, Professional Window Cleaner Magazine

"The irony of the information age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion"
John Lawton

sc

Re: New Customer Cards
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 09:00:25 pm »
Hi,

I'd like to have a look please. I'm not in Bristol.
scwindowcleaning@fsmail.net

Thanks.

denzle

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 09:34:53 pm »
Phil,
I'd like to take a look as well.
 enqs@premierwindowcleaners.co.uk
I'm from Worcester  ;)
Many thanks
Denzle

WavieDavie

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004, 09:38:28 pm »
Phil, I'd be grateful for a look at your card.

If you have MS Publisher, I can send you a copy of our cards. The front won't be of interest, but the back lets the customer know who did their windows, acts as a form of receipt, and lets them know when we'll be back for the next clean.
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

Philip Hanson

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004, 09:53:16 pm »
Gosh lots of interest in these little cards, they're on their way to you all!

Tell me what you think, any feedback is appreciated.

[If anyone copies our logo I will NOT be amused.  

But none of you fellow pros would do that!  Please dont forward these templates to anyone, get them to ask me persoanlly and I'll send them myself.]

Philip

"The irony of the information age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion"
John Lawton

sc

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2004, 09:57:21 pm »
I've looked at your cards and think they are a good idea and will do something similar.

Do you always leave a postage paid envelope. How much do you pay for them. I charge £4-£6 for the average semi and I wouldn't like to increase my expenses.

Then again I bet you never have to spend a friday night money collecting, which is 2-3hrs not actually earning money. Do you clean windows fortnightly, I wouldn't think customers would be bothered to have to write a cheque every two weeks, then you'd have a problem chasing them up.

Steve

Philip Hanson

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2004, 10:07:32 pm »
Do you always leave a postage paid envelope. How much do you pay for them.

Yes.  Our work is now in so many different areas, it would not be practical to collect.  The costing is as follows:

Envelope : 2.5p
Stamp : 20p (2nd class)
Printing : negligable

so about 23 p per envelope, we use about 12 per day.

So thats extra cost of £2.76 per day, for 5 days is £13.80.  I'd spend more than that on petrol if I were to collect, and not to mention the time it takes.

You have to educate customers with this method, and introduce it gradually.  I don't miss collecting at all.

All of our work is monthly or other monthly, so they've nearly always got around to paying up before you call again.

However, this bit of the card is peculiar to our business, if thats not what you do just delete that bit and put something else, like you'll call again at teatime or the weekend.

Philip

John Lawton

Pete_Riley

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2004, 10:23:35 pm »
Could you please send me a copy phil cheers.
peteriley@fsmail.net

sc

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2004, 10:48:12 pm »
Phill,

envelopes sound cheap enough and I'll give it a try, but i don't think customers will be wanting to write a cheque every two weeks, and by the time 2nd class post gets to me I'll be cleaning the windows again. I think i'll try it with my monthly customers to begin with.

money behind the plant pot has got to be the best (when customers remember).

Steve.

WavieDavie

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2004, 10:52:28 pm »
Envelope : 2.5p
YOU PAID HOW MUCH?? Chech this link . . .
http://www.viking-direct.co.uk/(xx3jj3qvli0sek45kyteawrp)/catalogSku.aspx?id=1B02  Hmm, somehow the link doesn't come over complete, but just cut + paste it.

That's for a box of 1000 envelopes, there's dearer ones, but why bother. We use the DL window envelopes for sending out invoices and they're a tenner a thousand. Plus vat and P+P right enough, but you can claim it all back anyway.

Davie - Tight Scot, and proud of it!

You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park

Sunshine

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2004, 10:58:04 pm »
This sounds like a brill idea....sent me a copy please to me messenger on this site.

Thanks

Sunshine

mickeyfat

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2004, 11:36:55 pm »
HI can i have a copy plaese

shinebright

SHINEBRIGHT CLEANING SERVICERe: New Customer Cards
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2004, 11:56:57 pm »
Hi Phil,

please send me a copy.

I tell my customers that if I miss them after the second clean I will leave a S.A.E. this seems to work OK.

This is my script along with an S.A.E.

SHINEBRIGHT CLEANING SERVICES

Dear Customer,
We seem to keep missing each other when I call. Could you please forward a cheque for £     to cover the last    cleans in the stamped addressed envelope provided.

Please make cheques payable to “A. BRIGGS” and write your address on the back of your cheque so that I can allocate it to your account.

Many Thanks,

Adrian.

Regards,

Adrian.

trunk

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2004, 01:13:19 pm »
Could you please send me a copy phil cheers.

ultracleaning01@hotmail.com
things can only get better

highwash

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2004, 03:53:57 pm »
HI PHIL - THAT'S MORE LIKE WHAT A FORUM SHOULD BE LIKE-SHARING WELL WORKED IDEAS , NOT CRITICISING EVERYBODY ELSE. LIFES TOO SHORT TO BE NEGATIVE.WELL DONE! I LIKE TO THINK THAT I'VE POSTED SOME CONSTRUCTIVE COMMENTS. I DON'T DO MUCH RESIDENTIAL WORK BUT WOULD LIKE TO SEE YOUR CALLING CARD. THANKS  -  TERRY
www.highwashsystems.co.uk

Philip Hanson

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2004, 05:22:04 pm »
Remember, I can only send these by email as they're Word documents.  

If your email address isn't on your profile, you'll need to send me a private message with your email address, and you must be able to download attachments from it.

Philip

John Lawton

Mark Betts

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2004, 06:16:26 pm »
Phil

Can you send me one.

Thanks

Mark

A Dog Isnt Just For Christmas.........  Save a Bit For Boxing Day  !!!!!

mickeyfat

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2004, 07:04:46 pm »
                                  ;D ;D ;DTHANKS FOR THE CARD SILLY
;D ;D ;D

WavieDavie

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2004, 07:43:37 pm »
Likewise.

An excellent job - thanks Phil.

Davie Park

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2004, 07:59:20 pm »

Hi Phil, can you send me one as well. ;D

Thanks

Darren