Pete_Riley

Starting a round
« on: February 23, 2004, 01:34:43 pm »
Hello everyone,my names Pete and I am looking into starting a window cleaning round.I aint scared of hard graft so thats no problem but what I would like to know is are there any territorial issues here.What I mean is do I need to make sure I dont encroach on someone elses round.Also any advice on any other things I need to do would be appreciated,I have never run a business of my own.Thanks in advance.

Philip Hanson

Re: Starting a round
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 04:32:36 pm »
Hi Pete and welcome to the forum.  Some of the earlier threads in this section may be of interest to you.

do I need to make sure I dont encroach on someone elses round

Not really.  Its almost never the case that a window cleaner has an entire area or even street to himself.  Most have a few customers here and a few there, and you can quite easily pick up customers in most areas.

There is a good demand for window cleaners, so if you start correctly and act professionally (see this post : http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Equipment;action=display;num=1077490805) then I'm sure you won't have much problem getting a decent round together.

I have never run a business of my own.

I'm sure that you'll find window cleaning a straightforward business to run.  Do you have a friend that is a window cleaner? (perhaps where you got the idea from?)  

Some basic training from an established window cleaner will be of great benefit to you I'm sure.

Philip
Editor, Professional Window Cleaner Magazine

"The irony of the information age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion"
John Lawton

Pete_Riley

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 05:09:59 pm »
thanks phil

Mikey Warner

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004, 10:06:29 pm »
Hi pete, forums like these are a great place to start and a haven of information, it's where i started. ;D

This is the equipment i first purchased to get me going:

Quick release belt (Unger)
4" Scraper
Bucket on a belt.
14" T-Bar with 3 sleeves (Unger Promotion)
18" Squeegie
12" Squeegie
4 Scrims
Pouch

All came to £88.00 with next day delivery

and a few other odd bots and bobs that you always decide to chuck in when you place an order. I get my gear from Scrim City but there are plenty of places on the net you can get them from.

Hope this helps,

Mikey

Pete_Riley

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004, 10:19:30 pm »
cheers mike

WavieDavie

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2004, 10:58:31 pm »
Hi Pete,

Put a bit more in your profile and tell us all about yourself. Depending on where you stay, someone could give you some hints on the best place locally for gear - or the places to keep away from!

All the best in your new venture.
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

Pete_Riley

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2004, 11:02:45 pm »
Iv updated my profile hope this helps guys cheers.