DeLuce

Tailgate users!
« on: March 18, 2018, 03:02:58 pm »
Well, it won't be long now before I get a new/newer van.
Just wondered, apart from benefits when raining  ;D
How do tailgates fare in windy conditions?
The barn doors on vans tend to blow in on you our stretch the hinge out, so, do tailgates stay put?
Thanks for any advice................again!!

zesty

Re: Tailgate users!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 03:46:30 pm »
I got my transit custom with a tailgate, I prefer it.

After having barn doors for years, I decided to try a tailgate.

For me the main reasons are:

1. No wind issues

2. Opens up the whole back of the van for access easily

3. Means the hose can be pulled out at crazy angles without a barn door in the way

4. Makes it much easier to put my softwash and pressure washer in (I use ramps as my pressure washer weighs a tonne)

5. The wife sends me to ikea and it makes it easier to load up, again no doors in the way (yes I’m aware they open up 180 degrees but it’s still easier having just one big door)

6. It looks neater for sign writing.

7. I can sit under it in the rain with a cuppa

8. Never have to worry about the doors swinging open into other cars or walls

9. A trivial one, but it’s quicker to close up between jobs.

There are some down sides:

1.Means you need to park slightly further asah from walls and other vehicles to load (door is bigger, though suprisingly not by much)

2. Means the back of the van is wide open to prying eyes (I also have an under floor roller system by grippa to solve this in rougher areas)

3. High items might be a bit more of a faff to load as the door will be in the way (though I’ve never had this issue)

4. You need to put your ladders flush with the rear roof bar with no overhang as the tailgate will hit ladders otherwise. (Never been a problem for me)

All in all, I’m sticking with a tailgate now I’ve used both. My next custom will have the tailgate, it’s worked out well for me  :)

Tristan R Clean

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 04:34:56 pm »
On my previous vivaro on a couple of occasions my barn doors blew round and bent the hinges. To the point where they wouldn’t close. I had to drive to a garage where they fit washer spacers in the hinges so the doors would meet and close.
So my present vivaro has a tailgate - no problems since 😁

Walter Mitty

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 08:38:24 pm »
Some insurers don't like there being a view into the back of a van.  Check your policy.

DeLuce

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 09:36:15 pm »
Thanks for the replies fellas.
I prefer the look of the tailgate but did wonder about some of the practicalities. So thanks zesty and Tristan!
Cheers Walter, I'll double check that   👍🏼

robbo333

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 10:28:31 pm »

This is my Toyota Hiace with the tailgate up, I love it.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Lee GLS

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 07:08:32 am »
I’ve use both, much prefer the tailgat, so much so that when I got my new van that had barn doors I converted it to a tailgate.

I find working with a tailgate so much quicker. I quite often park on the side of the road so the hose goes across the footpath, with barn doors I couldn’t open them 180 deg as the would be blocking the path so it meant that I then could just get my hose and take it strait to the house as the door was in the was. With a tailgate and the pure freedom hose reel with the booms it means that I have over 180deg angle the hose can be pulled out without any doors getting in the way which means it’s quicker to setup and pack up.

DeLuce

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 08:07:20 am »
Thanks again fellas!
Nice and neat there Robbo  :D
Cheers Lee.
Quite interesting how you find the tailgate in everyday use.  :)