Captain Scarlet

Prescott: The Class System and Me: Episode 2 - You see it?
« on: November 04, 2008, 05:07:14 pm »
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00ff2jr/Prescott_The_Class_System_And_Me_Episode_2/

Anybody watch it? well if you go 15 mins into the program Prescott suggests Window Cleaning to a long standing unemployed man. Is this really how we are viewed, a job for unemployed people to get out of poverty? Obviously its great that people have an opportunity to get some work and help their families. But is it still viewed as an unskilled job, where you only need a ladder to get started? I think it might be a while before the "general" impression changes.

I have a sign written van, brilliant equipment, leaflets, uniforms...I mean I look the business. Infact I look far more professional than any other self employed man around these parts. But it suprised me when I turned up a few days late for a Hotel and the owner said "oh, I thought you might have packed it in". How do they get that impression from someone who has been cleaning their windows for years, and turns up consistently rain or shine in a nice van to do the windows! As if I would just pack it all in!

Another case. One of my old teachers saw me cleaning she said "oh your Window Cleaning....when are you going to stop that?" as if it was temporary job while I found something better!

It seems quite a few people really view it as a "rubbish" job.... well maybe it isn't such a bad thing my teacher finds out I earn more than her!!! otherwise everybody would be doing it!
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

Tosh

Re: Prescott: The Class System and Me: Episode 2 - You see it?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 05:12:17 pm »
If window cleaning was viewed as a glamorous business, there'd be a lot - a lot - more people doing it; believe me.

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 05:13:43 pm »
yeah!!! that might be the only positive thing!!
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

ftp

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 05:14:51 pm »
 ;D Unfortunately it is seen as a rubbish job and will be for years to come. My customers think i'm still a printer the rest of the day ::)
If you come into this from outside, window cleaning is the butt of all the jokes. All the guys in my last job when faced with redundancy would say i'll have to become a window cleaner if this place goes under!
If only they knew how much i earnt before lunch time today!
My mother asked me how i was getting on "flat out all last week" i told her. "Why don't you become a driving instructor?" was her next comment.  ::)

Tosh

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 05:20:56 pm »
I'm an ex-soldier, and I know how people perceive squaddies, but a friend of mine is getting some management degree; letters after his name and stuff; purely because of the job he does as a soldier in the army. 

The equivallent qualification would take three years full-time-study and cost about £6K.  My mate is basically given his because he can prove his management skills; he's an extremely bright, fit, articulate bloke.

Oh, he earns £50K a year too (he's a Major, commisioned from the ranks) and his pension is unbelievable!

But there's many people who think soldiers are as thick as the proverbial planks, the same as they view window cleaners.

It's all just a question of perception.

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 05:21:01 pm »
just a question. What class do you view yourselves? I would probably have to say working....

TVCS

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 05:27:15 pm »
peole still think window cleaners to be unskilled.  There are alot of window cleaners who do a bad job and give the rest of us a bad name.  A lot of people see it as a way to top up the giro.
  But at the end of the day it aint brain surgery is it?

Veni, vidi, vino, splatus.

(I came, I saw, I drank, I fell over...)

DaveG

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 05:29:56 pm »
I saw the programme too bloody annoyed me too!
You can't polish a turd

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 05:33:12 pm »
There are a couple of wc'ers round here, and they are so scruffy and do such a bad job!! both of them are doing it illegally too, these people give us such a bad name! And these days theres the cheap wfp'ers too, who dont do it properly!

seandyer2003

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 05:41:54 pm »
There are a couple of wc'ers round here, and they are so scruffy and do such a bad job!! both of them are doing it illegally too, these people give us such a bad name! And these days theres the cheap wfp'ers too, who dont do it properly!

i drive through an industrial estate about half a mile from my home every night coming off motorway and theres always some scally with a ladder cleaning the premises, im sick of it, why bother paying for wfp, im going round em all next week when im off a couple of days with some letters about health and safety, and insurance!!!

Martin-Swinscoe

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 05:52:46 pm »
i couldn't give a damn about what anyone says about me. The more people think that i'm living  on the breadline so much the better. if they all knew how much we can earn they'd all be at it.
just keep doing the job keep your head down and mouth shut. ;)

Tosh

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 05:55:09 pm »
i couldn't give a damn about what anyone says about me. The more people think that i'm living  on the breadline so much the better. if they all knew how much we can earn they'd all be at it.

This is the correct attitude.

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 05:57:44 pm »

this is kind of what I do. I never speak of my earnings, and when people get the scent that Im earning more than them I find myself telling them it isnt as good as it might seem!!!

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 05:57:47 pm »

have to 100% agree aswell with that  ;)

Martin-Swinscoe

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 05:59:45 pm »

i know it is Tosh
in fact when anyone asks me hows buisness i always say " I think this credit crunch is starting to bite and i know i'll never ever get rich by doing it. so i just have to plod on and grin and bare it"
then i jump into the motor to earn another ££££'s an hour ;D

paul saunders

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008, 06:08:39 pm »

i drive through an industrial estate about half a mile from my home every night coming off motorway and theres always some scally with a ladder cleaning the premises, im sick of it, why bother paying for wfp, im going round em all next week when im off a couple of days with some letters about health and safety, and insurance!!!

So, because you use a WFP you're a better person than someone who uses ladders.  ::)
Well I use ladders, and I have insurance ................ does that make me a scally?
I can remember when waking up stiff in the morning was a good thing.

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 06:11:52 pm »
So, because you use a WFP you're a better person than someone who uses ladders. 
Well I use ladders, and I have insurance ................ does that make me a scally?

Didnt mean that at all. I used to use ladders before going WFP! What I meant was that bad wc'ers are everywhere, on ladders and poles!

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008, 06:13:46 pm »
You can be professional on either poles or ladders. It doesnt matter ( my personal opinion that wfp is better than trad doesnt matter in this case ) what you use, pole or ladder, as long as your professional!

paul saunders

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2008, 06:14:55 pm »
That was aimed at seandyer2003.  ;)
I can remember when waking up stiff in the morning was a good thing.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2008, 06:14:58 pm »
And these days theres the cheap wfp'ers too, who dont do it properly!

What, like theres never been  cheap-skate window cleaners before WFP?

There's always been cheapskate window cleaners.  They've usually disappeared for Winter or, at best, only last a year or so.  The trouble is that, with WFP, they can probably still be cheapskate but earn something reasonable - thereby sticking with it.