Nathanael Jones

New website,.. constructive criticism please!
« on: September 29, 2008, 10:51:27 pm »
I'm putting together a website for John Garnett,... just want some input on the final details.
Any comments & suggestions are welcome:

www.avondhucleaning.com/Majestic/index.html

The site will eventually end up here, but we're waiting on the URL to be transferred to a new hosting service:

www.majesticwindowcleaning.co.uk/

geefree

Re: New website,.. constructive criticism please!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 10:55:23 pm »
I know little about websites so i cant give constructive critisism, but what i will say is , it looks very professional and well set out, and easy  on the eye. not congested like some are! ;)

Gary.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 10:56:16 pm »
Its always good when the first comment is positive!
:)

Thanks Garry!

Dale Smith

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 10:58:36 pm »
Looks superb!!
Really like the layout.... ;D
Swindon, Wiltshire.

Kevin R

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 11:07:03 pm »
I like how it looks and feels. Navigation is good and the SEO and tags are looking OK. My only comment is all the service links take you to the same page, which is a little congested and the pics are a bit wee and some more info would be good. However this may be the point as some sites give limited info to get clients to call so it depends on the point of view I guess.

On the whole its a good site  ;)

MoemGorod

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 06:04:55 am »
Nathanael, hi.

You build prof. site, indeed.

But in my pesonal opinion, it should be good idea to put phone number on 1st (at least) and other pages. Sure, pictures should be bigger.

The best style (for customers) of w/c websites I have seen in UK is h_ttp://reachandwash.com/

Warmest regards,

Vadim
www.MoemGorod.com - WFP supplier in Russia & CIS
www.MoemGorod.ru - WFP WC in Saint-Petersburg

ftp

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 07:52:41 am »
Like it, would prefer a larger typeface though, but very slick.  :)
Oh, and for some reason a third of the page seems unused so seems a waste of available space. So everything bigger (except Johns picture). Hope it helps.

gary999

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 08:05:54 am »
nice site,great colour scheme looks very professional ;)

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 08:47:45 am »
So everything bigger (except Johns picture).
:) :) :)

LMAO!!

Like it, would prefer a larger typeface though, but very slick.  :)
Oh, and for some reason a third of the page seems unused so seems a waste of available space.

I'll experiment with a bigger typeface. Do you have a nice fancy widescreen hi-res monitor? I have the same and it does look small on my screen,.. but I had to make it work for those ppl who still use a 800 x 600 screen.

p1w1

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 09:37:26 am »
lol that was the same website i was thinking of using when i e-mailed the company they said no one had downloaded it in the u.k. proof they were wrong. You have made me re-think now

good site though

paul

m.b.s.

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 10:03:33 am »
what site did you get the template from nat
i love it  ;)

tomy jackson

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 10:36:00 am »
thats brill makes mine look s#it thers just two bits same pics on all pages the main thing you nead be for and after pics for coni

davids3511

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 10:42:38 am »
Nat, it looks very eye catching and professional. The only problem I could see was that when you clicked the pics on the side (Window cleaning, Builder cleans) it just links you back to the same page.

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 11:29:51 am »
Yeah looks really good.

The typeface is a tad small, but then i may be working of a large screen :P Personally i would prefer to see the service links take you to other pages, as others have said its a bit too congested. Perhaps you can keep the images the size they are, but allow for enlarging them if you click on them?

Thanks for the topic, reminded me i have to change mine a bit regarding navigation.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 11:45:09 am »
Excellent. Very Good indeed.

Spelling: Abseiling not Absailing (You've got it right in one place but not others)

Calculator: No mention of  doors or patio doors

Not down to you but a minimum price in the calculator?

Get a better mug shot of the owner!  ;D

My fee for the above is one pint of fine ale! ;D

It's a game of three halves!

wightsurf

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 11:59:49 am »
why not a before and after shot, shows how good a job you can do...on conservatories and windows.

wightsurf

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 12:03:25 pm »
you have a big gap all the way down one side of your web page you could fit after shots in there .

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 12:20:33 pm »

My fee for the above is one pint of fine ale! ;D[/color]

Its in the post, and well earned it is too!

tomy jackson

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 12:21:01 pm »
how much did that cost ? if you dont mined me asking . or if you dont whont to put on you cud pm me on your forum

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008, 12:23:08 pm »
what site did you get the template from nat
i love it  ;)
I got the template from www.templatemonster.com

I use them for building all my websites now,.. worth every penny as the job is quicker, and the result is much more pro looking.

The basic templates are pretty much null and void as far as meta tags & SEO for Google are concerned though, so spend a bit of time sorting this out. There's no point in having a great looking website if no one can find it!

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 12:24:41 pm »
how much did that cost ? if you dont mined me asking . or if you dont whont to put on you cud pm me on your forum
The template was $65 or so, Domain name £6 for the year, and a special low price of £100 to put it together (Cause John is a mate!)

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2008, 12:37:18 pm »
Personally i would prefer to see the service links take you to other pages, as others have said its a bit too congested.

I agree,... but I'd have to charge him more for extra pages! Maybe in a couple of months he'll want to add to the site?

Xline Systems

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 01:53:11 pm »
that website looks good mate. better than the muppet that did ours!!!!!!!!!!

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 02:08:32 pm »
that website looks good mate. better than the muppet that did ours!!!!!!!!!!

Just looked at your site,... there are no meta tags or search engine optimisation bits in the code,... a simple fix, but shoot the designer for not doing that for you. You can have the best looking site in the world, but if Google doesn't put you on the first page, then there really is no point having a website at all.

Xline Systems

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 02:12:36 pm »
so then how do we do this?

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2008, 03:48:04 pm »
If you have access to the site to make changes, its a fairly simple job. The lines that start with "meta" are the important ones. Below are the tags off the main page of Johns site (You need tags on every page, each page has to be slightly different as Google penalises you for duplicate links),.. just modify them for your own needs.

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
<meta name="description" content="Services. Window cleaning, pressure washing, abseiling, builders cleans & conservatory cleaning in Fleetwood, Blackpool, Cleveleys, Thornton, Over Wyre, Preston, Garstang, Bolton and Leeds. Window cleaning services for commercial, industrial and residential clients." />
<meta name="keywords" content="Our services include Window cleaning, powerwashing, conservatory cleaning, cherry picker work & atrium cleaning in Fleetwood, window cleaning, window cleaners, Cleveleys, Blackpool, Reach and wash window cleaning, pure water window cleaning." />
<meta name="abstract" content="We provide quality, cost effective &amp; efficient, hi-level window cleaning services including Reach &amp; Wash window cleaning, gutter cleaning, fascia, sign &amp; cladding cleaning for  commercial, industrial and residential customers in the Fleetwood &amp; Blackpool area." />
<meta name="expires" content="Never" />
<meta name="subject" content="Window cleaning services" />
<meta name="category" content="Window cleaning services" />
<meta name="rating" content="General" />
<meta name="language" content="en" />
<meta name="distribution" content="Local" />
<meta name="author" content="Avondhu Cleaning Services. www.avondhucleaning.com" />
<meta name="copyright" content="Copyright Majestic Window Cleaning" />
<meta name="revisit" content="5 Days" />   
<meta name="robots" content="index, follow" />

<meta name="googlebot" content="yes" />

Yours looks like this:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
    <title></title>

He didn't even put in a page title!

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2008, 04:03:24 pm »
thanks for that Nathanael!

would it be a case of editing the meta tags just copy and past what you have put? (obviously changing the data for my site!)

Do i need to do anything regarding other pages as you said each page needs to be different.. confused on that bit  ???

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2008, 04:09:12 pm »
Just delete the old meta tags and paste in the new ones (modifying them for your own business of course). Do this on EVERY page,.. but then go back to all the pages except main page and alter the "Keywords", "abstract" and "Description" tags slightly. You can re-use some words,.. but don't have identical tags on 2 different pages, or Google will drop your ranking sharpish.

Thanks for all the positive comments so far guys,.. it all helps improve the final product.

I'll be doing another 3 or 4 sites this month, so I'll post links when they're nearing completion for more critique!
 ;D

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2008, 04:12:23 pm »
Just delete the old meta tags and paste in the new ones (modifying them for your own business of course). Do this on EVERY page,.. but then go back to all the pages except main page and alter the "Keywords", "abstract" and "Description" tags slightly. You can re-use some words,.. but don't have identical tags on 2 different pages, or Google will drop your ranking sharpish.

Thanks for all the positive comments so far guys,.. it all helps improve the final product.

I'll be doing another 3 or 4 sites this month, so I'll post links when they're nearing completion for more critique!
 ;D

Thanks for the info regarding SEO!

Time to get the html editor warmed up :P ( I have over 30 pages to edit  ::))

edit..

Is it worth having reciprocal links from other websites?

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2008, 05:31:16 pm »
the first impression it gives is that you can do skyscrapers, large buildings from one of them outside lifts? do you? i dont think you do so you might want to change it,
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2008, 08:14:18 pm »
Is it worth having reciprocal links from other websites?
Definitely,.. it does make a big difference. But the quality of the sites linking to you can also affect your ranking. If you've no page rank at all, then any link is good, but if you've managed a page rank of 2 or 3, and the people linking to you are still on zero, it can have an adverse effect.

the first impression it gives is that you can do skyscrapers, large buildings from one of them outside lifts? do you? i dont think you do so you might want to change it,

John does do this kind of work on a regular basis,.. as well as WFP etc.

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2008, 09:13:16 pm »
ive run the website in a few browsers and it runs quite slow sometimes, the flash is over the top imo
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2008, 09:23:07 pm »
ive run the website in a few browsers and it runs quite slow sometimes, the flash is over the top imo

Time to check your broadband connection,.. its only 127K for the whole animation!

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2008, 11:25:14 pm »

;D

Can you have the same meta tags for different websites? I mean the exact same content in the "Keywords", "abstract" and "Description" tags, but just use them on different sites (domains) ?

Would that effect your google ranking in a negative way?

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2008, 08:52:43 am »
I doubt it'd do you ranking any good if you did,... I've never tried it myself though.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2008, 09:04:41 am »

John asked me to post this:
www.windowcleaner1.co.uk/builders_cleans.html

;)

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2008, 09:06:00 am »

;D

Can you have the same meta tags for different websites? I mean the exact same content in the "Keywords", "abstract" and "Description" tags, but just use them on different sites (domains) ?

Would that effect your google ranking in a negative way?
they may well class that as spaming.

You did well on changing the site for John Nat, one thing, the pic of van could you blur the edges so it does not look like you have just cut a pic and placed it there apart from that all looks ok.

While I am here if you speak to John could you say I did reply to his email Bt are playing up again on the email server and all emails bounced back highly annoying.

Ian

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2008, 09:19:00 am »
I'll pass on the message Ian!

m.b.s.

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2008, 06:42:14 pm »

John asked me to post this:
www.windowcleaner1.co.uk/builders_cleans.html

;)
this is actually john as i met up with him whilst doing this job

Steve CM

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2008, 06:48:10 pm »
nice looking site nathanel, the van looks fine as it is ;)

when you get these templates how are they supplied? how do you customize it for what you want??

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2008, 07:24:35 pm »
nice looking site nathanel, the van looks fine as it is ;)

when you get these templates how are they supplied? how do you customize it for what you want??
via email or download, or some will send a disk, you open up a prgram to change them Steve

Steve CM

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2008, 09:39:07 pm »
i wouldn't know Ian as i build mine from scratch. i didn't know if you used a guided programe on a site, or what hence why i asked ;)

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2008, 05:20:16 pm »
i wouldn't know Ian as i build mine from scratch. i didn't know if you used a guided programe on a site, or what hence why i asked ;)

I get the templates from www.templatemonster.com
They are delivered via download, and you can use most web authoring software to modify them. To modify the animated bits you need macromedia flash,.. and personally I don't think anything beats dreamweaver for building the rest of the site.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2008, 10:16:44 pm »
Since your comments were so positive last time, here's another one for you guys to critique!

www.dorset-window-cleaning.co.uk/

This one looks simpler, but it actually took twice as long to complete!

And while I'm at it,... here's the next one,... only started working on it today, not even hosted properly yet:

www.avondhucleaning.com/bluez/

seandyer2003

« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2008, 10:31:18 pm »
Since your comments were so positive last time, here's another one for you guys to critique!

www.dorset-window-cleaning.co.uk/

This one looks simpler, but it actually took twice as long to complete!

And while I'm at it,... here's the next one,... only started working on it today, not even hosted properly yet:

www.avondhucleaning.com/bluez/

where do you find the tabs nathanael, i am really unhappy with my site its a bit boring, i want it to be a bit more dynamix and sort of contemporary like yours are there, what do you reckon is best to do ??

Thanks

sean

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2008, 10:40:54 pm »
I get templates from www.templatemonster.com and find I get a much better looking site in much less time that way. If you have the time you can build from scratch,... but it's a much bigger job.

If you already have a website and just want to freshen it up then its an easy job really!
Don't forget the search engine optimisation though,... no point having a really pro looking site if no one can find it!!

*cleanking

« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2008, 10:54:53 pm »
Nat your sites are well good man  ;D

seandyer2003

« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2008, 07:40:15 am »
I get templates from www.templatemonster.com and find I get a much better looking site in much less time that way. If you have the time you can build from scratch,... but it's a much bigger job.

If you already have a website and just want to freshen it up then its an easy job really!
Don't forget the search engine optimisation though,... no point having a really pro looking site if no one can find it!!

im always 1st page yahoo, was top of google last week for a few days then disappeared off it into obscurity again later :( drives me mad!!

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2008, 08:42:20 am »

im always 1st page yahoo, was top of google last week for a few days then disappeared off it into obscurity again later :( drives me mad!!

Your keywords and description meta tags could use beefing up, which would prob improve your ranking a lot.
List all the places/area's you work in in your tags, and on every page of your website too.
Also, Page titles containing keywords boost rankings. eg. "Dolphin window cleaners" will do ok if someone searches for you specifically,.. but if someone is searching for a window cleaner in your area then a page title like "Dolphin Window Cleaners | Covering area1, area2, area3, area4, area5" will help you catch much more traffic.

You have to think what the general public will type into google,.. most will type the area they live and "window cleaner",...