birdymiller

Re: Doubting wfp
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 08:51:10 pm »
Sjm its a nightmare at the moment. Up to now all custies have been great but if any of them start i will either bin the wfp or wfp their face ;D

sjm

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 08:57:42 pm »
Sjm its a nightmare at the moment. Up to now all custies have been great but if any of them start i will either bin the wfp or wfp their face ;D
LOL .  Well you said it yourself , the custys are ok with it  ;D  You are frustrated I suspect because you are out of your comfort zone !  NO pain no gain my friend LOL . 

Joe Lauzon

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 09:00:55 pm »
Probably going against the flow, but I have to say taking everything into consideration, I think wfp is overrated.  Opinion varies round my way.  I think it depends how quick you are with trad methods.

If someone was starting from scratch, no problem.  But I found converting a round sooo much hassal.  13 years of trad - some of my customers simply couldn't get their heads round wfp.

When you add up the bigger van (more expenses), running costs etc the net profit at the end of the week isn't that much different to trad.  I'm still taking home around 550-600.  

birdymiller

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2008, 09:05:45 pm »
Joe ive only spent £800 on a second hand trolley system because i wasnt sure it was going to be worth investing say a few grand on a van system. What persuaded me to go for it was watching groundhogs video, he made it look so easy. But as he says they are maintenance cleans whereas as mine at the moment are 1st cleans >:(

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2008, 09:07:39 pm »
There are a lot of extra costs with wfp and if your completely happy with ladders and that wage then why change?
It suits me because i came in from another trade and hate ladders but if you saw my expenses, you being trad would have a heart attack i would think.
My wife kept saying "why can't you just buy a ladder and a bucket?".

macmac

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2008, 09:20:26 pm »
What persuaded me to go for it was watching groundhogs video, he made it look so easy. 

Big mistake, you only see him use a wfp, you don't see the results. There's a lot of egos on here about who's got the biggest, who's the fastest etc. Take most of this with a tiny pinch of salt & welcome to the real(istic) world. ;)

Tony

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2008, 09:30:06 pm »
This speed thing only works on almost clean windows, if you get some sun baked bird crap then you can waste a lot of time scrubbing, tree sap or pollen or anything greasy will slow you down then there are all the obsticles to navigate around and snag your hose, gates, courtyards and parked cars - there's an awefull lot you don't see on these videos going around on utube. ;)

darragh windows

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2008, 09:36:39 pm »
i was traditional for 13 years  and have just switched over in the last 8 months its a completly different job after the first few cleans it gets easier we can at least work an extra 1-2 hours a day not to mention faster which gives you at least an extra days wages a week i would never go back stick with it theres plenty of professionals on this site to give you adivice
jamie

Joe Lauzon

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2008, 10:06:42 pm »
Why can you work an extra 1-2 hours darragh?  Whether trad or wfp, I can't honestly say I finish the day knackered.   I do my 6 hours flat out then go home. 

Only thing that bothers me are those boiling hot summers days, when the sun blazes all day.  Killer.

Rob.Hall

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2008, 10:48:58 pm »
I could have thrown the towel in when first starting wfp.

Spent to much time rinsing when I should have consentrated on giving more time to cleaning the frames first.

Found it was quicker to clean frames by hand before polling.

Now I am confident so get stuck straight in.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2008, 11:36:07 pm »
I wouldn't worry about buying expensive detergents.

I used washing up liquid for 10 years, and when I switched to wfp I had no problems with suds and spots.

Ignore the amateurs! ;D

I can recall the threads you started about problems with wfp, don't make me look them up lol.  ;D

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2008, 11:48:09 pm »

I used washing up liquid for 10 years, and when I switched to wfp I had no problems with suds and spots.

Ignore the amateurs! ;D

I can recall the threads you started about problems with wfp, don't make me look them up lol.  ;D
I'm not saying I didn't have problems.

Not with soap residue or results in general though.

sjm

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2008, 11:54:07 pm »

Ignore the amateurs! ;D

I'm not saying I didn't have problems.

Not with soap residue or results in general though.
You get a lot of stick on here ! I like your posts  ;D

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2008, 12:02:41 am »
WFP looks easy and it really is once you've picked up all the liitle things to remember. It's a learning curve that can't be rushed. Speed will come with time. Not all WFP jobs are quicker WFP, some are best suited to trad.

kirky

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2008, 07:36:10 am »
Im going to a different area tomorrow, so im gonna get me ladders out. Rpwc gave me a good tip about just converting a few at a time so that i dont get too far behind with my work. Cheers for the comments but my back is still aching :(
birdy i switched last october and my back as only just stopped aching lol  hang in there our kid practice makes perfect as they say,don't forget i'm only a couple of miles down the road from you if you need any help...i'm no expert but i'm working on it  ;)

birdymiller

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2008, 07:56:39 am »
cheers kirky, i know i keep saying this but i am going to come and see you in action. Just to see the technique that you use and see if im doing anything wrong. Ill give you a call ;)

kirky

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2008, 07:59:27 am »
Probably going against the flow, but I have to say taking everything into consideration, I think wfp is overrated.  Opinion varies round my way.  I think it depends how quick you are with trad methods.

If someone was starting from scratch, no problem.  But I found converting a round sooo much hassal.  13 years of trad - some of my customers simply couldn't get their heads round wfp.

When you add up the bigger van (more expenses), running costs etc the net profit at the end of the week isn't that much different to trad.  I'm still taking home around 550-600.  

but how much will you be taking home if you have a fall?

sjm

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2008, 08:08:52 am »

Spot on !    I came off a long time ago , and I was off for two months !

RPCCS

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2008, 09:24:52 am »
Cheers feen, i just keep telling myself that i might be losing out on money for a few months but if i fell of my ladder and was off work for a while i would lose alot more :)
Too bloody right you would m8 , I can vouch for that, been off 8 weeks and  i rcon it has cost me @ least2.5 grand.
As everyone has echoed ,it is a pain in the arse when changing over, some jobs will come up 2nd time , others take 3 or 4 to come up and there will be some that just won't come up at all. THese are the ones that you need to do trad. I used fairy liquid trad because the proper w/c stuff just doesn't let tghe blade glide across the window as easily, this is apparrently what causes alot of probs when changing over as it takes longer to get rid of fairy residue than proper w/c solutions.
If you have lots of problems with spotting and get complaints , just offer to go back and do them again next day, most should be happy with that. Good luck
Cheers Rich

Joe Lauzon

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2008, 04:35:50 pm »

Never fell off in 13 years, but I appreciate it can happen.

I have been using wfp for the last 2 years.

3 months ago I fell over one of those garden glow lights when using wfp.  Wasn't pretty.  ;D    No injuries or anything, but I have had more incidents using wfp than trad.  Tripping over flower pots when looking up etc etc.