birdymiller

Doubting wfp
« on: June 04, 2008, 04:55:43 pm »
Im a few days into using wfp. Im frustrated by the results i am having spending alot of time trying to get windows clean. I rinse tops of frames, scrub windows with water up and down say 5 or 6 times and then rinse. Tds is 0. I know they are first cleans and i have been warned that they dont come spotless straight away. Please someone tell me that it gets better as i am doubting wfp and my arms and back are aching. Any tips and motivation would be much appreciated.

Re: Doubting wfp
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 05:01:35 pm »
Im a few days into using wfp. Im frustrated by the results i am having spending alot of time trying to get windows clean. I rinse tops of frames, scrub windows with water up and down say 5 or 6 times and then rinse. Tds is 0. I know they are first cleans and i have been warned that they dont come spotless straight away. Please someone tell me that it gets better as i am doubting wfp and my arms and back are aching. Any tips and motivation would be much appreciated.
First of all stick with it m8, anyone that is doing wfp has been there.

on first cleans go round and wash all frames first (more attention to the tops) then go and clean the glass not touching frame and with flow rate so it does not spray the frames.
it will get better soon I promise, if you was in my area I would come and help you im in bedford/cambs area if you feel like popping down your welcome anytime.
Are you using enough water ? I used loads the first month or two I was cleaning.

Ian

pjulk

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 05:03:22 pm »
It does get better.
Its like when you first start traditional you were probably crap to begin with then the more time you do it the better you get.

Same with WFP you can't expect perfect results from day one you need to learn how to use the system properly.

We all felt the way you are feeling when we first went WFP and you feel like going back to ladders.

Don't stick with it, don't tell customers about spots they go looking for them.

They do work otherwise most of us on this forum would be back on ladders.

birdymiller

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 05:12:35 pm »
Got my flow setting on 8 is that right. Ive used 160 litres today and ive only cleaned the upstairs on the front because my lad has done the sides and back with the ladder. Not done nowhere near what we would have normally done, money wise but i have been chatting to custies alot more than usual. Done it this way co custies only have to deal with 2 spotting windows. As i get faster i will switch them all over. Thats the plan anyway. Thanks Ian and paul, i just need to relax a little and stop getting so stressed :)

AJ

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 05:30:44 pm »
get your dad to give the frames a good clean while he is up there (not with any soap). It will stand you in good stead when you start to do all the windows.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 05:31:42 pm »
What detergent have you been using traditionally? If it's fairy, immediately send the bottle to the dishes, and start cleaning with a professional liquid like Squeegee off or Glass Gleam 3 or 4.

I've got zero spotting, this is my fourth day, and the windows are beautiful.

Fairy sucks for wfp, leaves a film behind on the glass, which breaks up and you have to keep rinsing and scrubbing to not leave spots. A professional liquid leaves minimal detergent behind.

Also start wiping the frame if your still trad, and detail the edges.

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 07:09:08 pm »
Got my flow setting on 8 is that right. Ive used 160 litres today and ive only cleaned the upstairs on the front because my lad has done the sides and back with the ladder. Not done nowhere near what we would have normally done, money wise but i have been chatting to custies alot more than usual. Done it this way co custies only have to deal with 2 spotting windows. As i get faster i will switch them all over. Thats the plan anyway. Thanks Ian and paul, i just need to relax a little and stop getting so stressed :)
Yep stop getting stressed had as it maybe,

Agree with last post that DO NOT USE FAIRY, get gg4/3 4 hard 3 soft not that it makes much difference, squegee off (in van never used so cant comment)
frame wipes more the tops 1 month of cleans, second time around you will see a little difference in time 3rd you will see it coming into its own 4th you will be asking ya lad to hurry up or move out of the way.

Chin up fella  ;)

only a call away if you need help.

Ian

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 07:25:39 pm »
Don't worry about speed, take your time and relax. The first few weeks are knackering then your body adapts. Spotting is a problem but you'll gradually work out whats going on. Watch out for your brush flicking above the frames and rinse close to the glass. First cleans are always hard work and frustrating.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 07:28:58 pm »
I wouldn't worry about buying expensive detergents.

I used washing up liquid for 10 years, and when I switched to wfp I had no problems with suds and spots.

Ignore the amateurs! ;D

NWH

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 07:44:33 pm »
Don't worry about speed, take your time and relax. The first few weeks are knackering then your body adapts. Spotting is a problem but you'll gradually work out whats going on. Watch out for your brush flicking above the frames and rinse close to the glass. First cleans are always hard work and frustrating.
Good advice but it takes a lot longer than a few weeks for your body to adapt a lot longer,for you to get used to it it will take months.

birdymiller

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 07:46:19 pm »
Im going to a different area tomorrow, so im gonna get me ladders out. Rpwc gave me a good tip about just converting a few at a time so that i dont get too far behind with my work. Cheers for the comments but my back is still aching :(

Rogue Trader

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 07:48:47 pm »

I used washing up liquid for 10 years, and when I switched to wfp I had no problems with suds and spots.

Ignore the amateurs! ;D

I would worry about expensive detergents as i had untold trouble with windows that i use to clean with Fairy - When cleaned previously with gg4 i had no problems and this was definately not coincidence.

NWH

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 07:50:34 pm »
Im going to a different area tomorrow, so im gonna get me ladders out. Rpwc gave me a good tip about just converting a few at a time so that i dont get too far behind with my work. Cheers for the comments but my back is still aching :(
I can promise you that if you used a SL2 on your work to start off with you wouldn`t ache half as much,what pole are you using that could be why your finding it tireing.

birdymiller

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 07:58:33 pm »
Its a brute of a thing, Ecoline apparently its a commercial pole. Ive nearly finished my harris pole just got to get some pole hose for it. Dont want to go and spend loads of money just yet on a pole, as im still a bit unsure how this wfp will pan out for me.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 08:29:48 pm »

Ignore the amateurs! ;D

I would worry about expensive detergents as i had untold trouble with windows that i use to clean with Fairy - When cleaned previously with gg4 i had no problems and this was definately not coincidence.
I didn't notice any problem. ???

I suppose it depends if you're doing wfp properly from the start. ;)

Londoner

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 08:35:15 pm »
If its any consolation you are at about the same low point as I reached when I started two years ago. Now, I can't believe it was only two years ago but at the time if I could have found a skip I would have dumped the lot.

It does get better.

birdymiller

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 08:35:54 pm »
I hope so vince ???

Feen

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 08:37:12 pm »
Birdy, Hope it works out. You,ve had plenty of advice about cleaning so I won't add to it. About technique though. Watch yourself. Don't just stand there moving the pole up and down with your arms or you could be in for some very sore bits down the line, like elbows especially but also shoulders. Use your legs as much as possible, also go left and right handed. Change the grip of your bottom hand....I use 3 types of grip. Cos if you get tennis elbow from poling it's a bugger and very hard to get rid of.
Stick in there, you know it makes sense ;)
Feen

birdymiller

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 08:40:43 pm »
Cheers feen, i just keep telling myself that i might be losing out on money for a few months but if i fell of my ladder and was off work for a while i would lose alot more :)

sjm

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2008, 08:47:12 pm »
Cheers feen, i just keep telling myself that i might be losing out on money for a few months but if i fell of my ladder and was off work for a while i would lose alot more :)
I am starting soon , and I think you have to be single minded !  Ladders are dangerous , so you are using a safer alternative now . Yes it is going to be hard to start ( ISNT EVERTTHING )  If you have good customers , I think they will be patient with you if they see you trying your best  ;D