G Griffin

Re: does pure water?
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2010, 11:11:26 pm »
I see it as this,

Tapwater is pure water with a few bits in it.

Yeah, I`m gonna try saying something like that to the missus.

I`m only drinking tap water.......with a few whiskey bits in it.
  I`ll just have a salad........with a few donner meat bits in it.
  I saw your friend today.....I`d like to put a few bits in it.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Dave Willis

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2010, 08:01:14 am »
I`d like an expert to come on this thread cos as i understand it,its just water. I dont even notice that it cleans any better than normal tap water. Just the fact it leaves no residue when it evaporates seems all its got going for it, full stop. I would like to be informed if it has any magical properties and if it is better at cleaning than tap water. I think its better at rinsing than cleaning.

Try this as an experiment......try clean a car alloy covered in brake dust with ordinary water, then try clean the other one with pure water.
 To me it seems to be great at cleaning anything carbon/salt based? Great for removing traffic film off the car or van too.

So that's why my poles are dissolving?

john tomkins

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2010, 08:29:38 am »
So that's why my poles are dissolving?

I didn't think you employed anyone :o

gewindows

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2010, 08:44:53 am »

You should't really drink it though. not as a regular thing.

Its okay to drink, most yachts have R.O units on them for drinking.

Its D.I that you need to be concerned about.

http://www.yachtmate.com/yachtmate-matrix-watermaker.html

dazmond

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2010, 09:05:40 am »
google dionized water and you ll see there is a mention of using it for window cleaning and that its more aggressive than normal water and its mildly solvent.

yes it does clean better than tap water but only just!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

Ian101

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2010, 09:37:03 am »
sssshhhhhh  :-X  :-X  :-X keep this to ourselves but someone told me its good for cleaning windows ?

Anyone ever tried this ?  ;)

chopsie

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2010, 03:07:37 pm »
sssshhhhhh  :-X  :-X  :-X keep this to ourselves but someone told me its good for cleaning windows ?

Anyone ever tried this ?  ;)

Sod that, Its a mugs game
chopsie

tom2009

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2010, 04:15:24 pm »
I see it as this,

Tapwater is pure water with a few bits in it.
otherwise known as 'chalk soup' - very low calorific value, great if you're a fatso.

dd

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2010, 05:39:24 pm »
Given up washing scrims in it as they get holey. Also stopped wearing cotton t-shirts as these tend to get holes in shoulder/chest area where they are splashed by the pure water.

Nameless Drudge

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2010, 07:14:16 pm »
Given up washing scrims in it as they get holey. Also stopped wearing cotton t-shirts as these tend to get holes in shoulder/chest area where they are splashed by the pure water.

This has pure water sounding dangerous, so i have tap water at 300 tds,what about people with very low tds tapwater,this must be near dangerous stuff.

Maybe there is cotton eating bacteria in it.(seriously).

Maybe your scrims and t-shirts were ready for retirement.

clearlyclean

« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2010, 07:21:07 pm »
My tap water is tds 30 should i buy chalk dust to make our drinking water safe.If cotton gets damp alot it rots same as any organic material

Perfect Windows

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2010, 08:09:24 pm »
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet...

RO removes all the impurities.  It doesn't remove dissolved carbon dioxide.  As any fule kno, dissolve carbon dioxide in water and you get carbonic acid.  My pure water has a pH of 6.0, so it's a pretty mild acid.  Areas (and times of the year make a difference) with more dissolved CO2 can get it as low as 5, which is about as acidic as tomato juice.

That might explain it. I t might also explain why it does clean a little better than tap water, which around here have enough salts dissolved in them to make the water alkaline.

Vin

Gav Camm lammy 283

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2010, 12:14:10 am »
Pure water will make you sterile and ensure that your noodly appendage drops off. It eats through vans so that a brand new van will be a rusted out floorless wreck within weeks.

If it gets on your driveway then you will have a hole bigger than Krakatoa within days.

;D

Do not pay attention to myths guys and gals - pure water does no more harm than normal water.

You should't really drink it though. not as a regular thing.

why r merlins installed for drinking water then ??? ??? ??? ???

But they don't fit a resin polisher at the end of the line before the tap, do they?
im not talkin bout di fella  ;)
LET YOUR PANES BE MY PLEASURE

"If CALSBERG did WINDOW CLEANING
 it would be C.C.C  Probably the best WINDOW CLEANERS IN THE WORLD ..........."

Nameless Drudge

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2010, 03:21:17 pm »
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet...

RO removes all the impurities.  It doesn't remove dissolved carbon dioxide.  As any fule kno, dissolve carbon dioxide in water and you get carbonic acid.  My pure water has a pH of 6.0, so it's a pretty mild acid.  Areas (and times of the year make a difference) with more dissolved CO2 can get it as low as 5, which is about as acidic as tomato juice.

That might explain it. I t might also explain why it does clean a little better than tap water, which around here have enough salts dissolved in them to make the water alkaline.

Vin

Sportsmans bet says you wont find any carbonic acid in the pure water,theoretically yes,but water breaks down carbonic acid into water and dissolved C02. Confusing in the least,but carbonic acid itself is destroyed by water. Least thats where my studies have ended. Another culprit for the magical properties of pure water is sought.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2010, 05:15:11 pm »
Sportsmans bet says you wont find any carbonic acid in the pure water,theoretically yes,but water breaks down carbonic acid into water and dissolved C02. Confusing in the least,but carbonic acid itself is destroyed by water. Least thats where my studies have ended. Another culprit for the magical properties of pure water is sought.

"Water breaks down carbonic acid into water and dissolved CO2" - not sure what you're trying to say, but it sounds unusual, to say the least.  It doesn't make sense at all the way I'm reading it.  In fact, utterly pure, distilled water left open to the air will dissolve CO2 from the air and become dilute carbonic acid, which seems to be the opposite of your statement (though I may be misunderstanding it)

Sportman's bet that if you MEASURE the pH of your water rather than guessing, you'll find it's acidic.  Kit at a fish shop for a fiver will tell you.  I have measured my water pH at 6, so the carbonic acid certainly isn't being "broken down".

Vin

Nameless Drudge

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2010, 06:45:42 pm »

"Water breaks down carbonic acid into water and dissolved CO2" - not sure what you're trying to say, but it sounds unusual, to say the least.  It doesn't make sense at all the way I'm reading it.  In fact, utterly pure, distilled water left open to the air will dissolve CO2 from the air and become dilute carbonic acid, which seems to be the opposite of your statement (though I may be misunderstanding it)

Sportman's bet that if you MEASURE the pH of your water rather than guessing, you'll find it's acidic.  Kit at a fish shop for a fiver will tell you.  I have measured my water pH at 6, so the carbonic acid certainly isn't being "broken down".

Vin

Rainwater has a ph of appx 5.65

Perfect Windows

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2010, 07:01:17 pm »

Rainfall is acidic because atmospheric carbon dioxide dissolves in the rainwater producing weak carbonic acid.

Vin

mileslake

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2010, 07:45:39 pm »
Some of the big coffee chains use pure water for making their coffee.

Nameless Drudge

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2010, 08:04:49 pm »

Rainfall is acidic because atmospheric carbon dioxide dissolves in the rainwater producing weak carbonic acid.

Vin

Its more complex than that,ions and carbonates etc.

Seems to me that carbonic acid is only theoretical. C02 plus water creates carbonic acid but carbonic acid plus water produces C02 plus water. So you only need one molecule of water to mix with carbonic acid to create a chain reaction as more and more water is produced.

Its definitely the absence of tds that allows the water to become more acidic though. Strange though that acidity might be pure waters plus point as the best cleaning products tend to be the opposite, strong alkalines.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2010, 08:24:22 pm »
Seems to me that carbonic acid is only theoretical. C02 plus water creates carbonic acid but carbonic acid plus water produces C02 plus water. So you only need one molecule of water to mix with carbonic acid to create a chain reaction as more and more water is produced.

I've hesitated to say this until now: I don't know where you're getting your information from on this but whoever is telling you this is completely, totally and utterly wrong in every factual respect. Carbonic acid plus water produces more dilute carbonic acid (which is slightly less acidic).  It does not produce CO2 plus water.  Adding water to carbonic acid cannot create a "chain reaction" of any type under any circumstances.  The only time CO2 will be released is if the amount dissolved in the water is greater than the equilibrium amount in solution given atmospheric pressure and the atmospheric proportion of CO2.  (I'm assuming here that we're talking about water that has not been injected with CO2, of course.  All of this is scientifically factual, not a matter of opinion.

Vin