Wc Solutions

mobile phones again ....
« on: September 01, 2010, 03:36:40 pm »
never bother with a seperate phone for work and im due an upgrade.

at the mo blackberry curve ...

just gone for samsung galaxy s - mainly because a got a good deal with orange.

phone - free, 600 mins, unlimited texts & internet - insurance aswell = £28 per month.

so anyone use this phone well for work ....

R W C™

Re: mobile phones again ....
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 04:37:41 pm »
My Misses got this phone yesterday, I wasnt that impressed withit, looks like a copy of the iphone, Glad i got the iphone.....

Wc Solutions

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 04:58:55 pm »
My Misses got this phone yesterday, I wasnt that impressed withit, looks like a copy of the iphone, Glad i got the iphone.....

seen a few reviews saying this is almost the same phone and the samsung is even better - i dont believe that tho, end of the day they are both android smart phones and do the same job i hope.

formb

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 05:01:17 pm »

Really?

A good deal from Orange?

Doubt it.

Wc Solutions

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 05:06:01 pm »

Really?

A good deal for Orange?

Doubt it.

i just stated the details - yes im sure 3 or tesco are cheaper but phones arent as good and in my are the signals best on orange...

prestige cleaners

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 09:42:58 pm »
i would highly recommend my HTC DESIRE. i pay £17 per month, but i think its £30 to new custs,  500mins/texts.  its got free sat nav, great internet, camera/camcorder, games, etc. wicked phone.

lee09

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 09:49:34 pm »
Fantastic.
I am due an upgrade 08/09 and have the blackberry but was looking at the galaxy s
Did not know weather to wait until end of contract (08/12) to screw a better deal. It is also easy to say the  iphone is better if you already have one, but you pay one hell of a premium for it.
Lee

4Taz

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 10:43:51 pm »
i would highly recommend my HTC DESIRE. i pay £17 per month, but i think its £30 to new custs,  500mins/texts.  its got free sat nav, great internet, camera/camcorder, games, etc. wicked phone.

Ditto HTC Desire - fantastic phone & very often voted best in the world

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 11:50:40 pm »
any phone will do as long as its not a cheapo £15 one!as long as it as a speaker phone and i can ring/receive/text im not bothered!!! ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

mci services

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 11:57:02 pm »
have to agree with dazmond as long as it goes bring bring and send an occasional text that will do for me ;)

bobby p

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 07:25:12 am »
any phone will do as long as its not a cheapo £15 one!as long as it as a speaker phone and i can ring/receive/text im not bothered!!! ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
  i beg to differ !- tother week bought a 15 quider in tesco (on o2) , samsung with camera and its proving great ,toughly made .  i always get my phone unlocked at the local Asian unlocking shop,this is 8 quid but means you can then use it abroad cheaply

Klean07

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 08:26:43 am »
have to agree with dazmond as long as it goes bring bring and send an occasional text that will do for me ;)
I quite agree with this comment though when I was younger I must admit that I had to have the best phone around.
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

Window Washers

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 09:56:43 am »
HTC desire is a great phone if you want a phone for more than ringing and sending texts.

I use mine for loads  ;D
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

erithwc

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 10:18:22 am »
ive got a blackberry 8520 phone excellent phone i have all my busness emails and paypal stuff sent to my mobile and i find it easy to send emails and texts

Wc Solutions

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 04:59:46 pm »

if you aint bothered then why even bother posting!!!!!!!!

good camera and video can really help for pricing large jobs.

email is a must for me! - works the same as a text, works really really well for any commercial jobs communication ....

NJWindowCleaning

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 05:04:38 pm »
All these different mobiles to choose from, the advertisement on the samsung galaxy s looks quite impressive.

If I was looking into purchse one I would be interested in the samsug and the HTC.. with a little phone with alot of going on for it with all applications that makes it appealing for others, but myself prefer a bigger screen so I think the HTC just beats it for me.

But mobiles are just mobiles and it all depends on what you want the phone to do for you besides making phone calls and texting etc.
So any price deals are assume to be just deals and if the buyer is impress with the deal then it is a good deal.

My mobile is with virgin but am thinking to moving to 3 mobiles as i am impress with the amount of air time and unlimited web etc with different cost for similar price plan the one plan I think it is call a lot of packaged for the prices.

prestige cleaners

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 06:12:53 pm »
if you do get a posh phone, make sure you buy a cover for £5 on ebay, and a screen protecter £1. as you do not want to scratch it!

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 06:42:35 pm »
As said above... Different phones suit different people.

I've had blackberrys for the past 4/5 years now. Had it to cut down my bills as my wife and I used to text eachother A LOT. Its has instant messenger on it which is free.

Minuites - for the talkers
Texts - for those who are not talkers
Email - for those who want to know when its come through
Internet - for those who need to order things on the go
Camera - for those who are photo happy
Button size - for those who have big hands
Screen size - for those who are nearly blind
Functions - for those who like there toys

The list goes on... So many phones... So many reasons why different phones suit different people.

I myself may be looking at moving to a touch screen phone next... My reasons... Moving my business forward may mean a change in software with access any time any place... This will need to be a touch screen unless things change in the next 6 months
Only those who risk going too far will truly know how far they can actually go

gordonswindows

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 10:25:33 pm »
Goodness me guys

iPhone is the phone for business

Costly? So what with the money you all earn (?) whats the problem

We use four of them between the managers and face time is the future of calls and for your business you have everything at your fingertips with cloud computing it is just like having your desktop wih you

Everyone else is playing catch up and as for crack berry omg so outdated even  is ahead of them

Envy is the reason you don't want iPhone, get one use one and join the enlightened
Don't Give Up
@askforthemoney

Window Washers

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 08:03:18 am »
Goodness me guys

iPhone is the phone for business

Costly? So what with the money you all earn (?) whats the problem

We use four of them between the managers and face time is the future of calls and for your business you have everything at your fingertips with cloud computing it is just like having your desktop wih you

Everyone else is playing catch up and as for crack berry omg so outdated even  is ahead of them

Envy is the reason you don't want iPhone, get one use one and join the enlightened
:o was you drunk when you wrote this  ;D Iphone= freezing and cockups and updated that mess ya phone up.

thats why I went for the htc it is reliable and dare I say better  :P
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

kate1

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2010, 08:14:08 am »
Gordons actually right guys.  Spot on.

Yep cloud computing thats the way technology moves on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae_DKNwK_ms

awcs

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2010, 09:32:56 am »
the cheaper the phone the better. I keep breaking them!!

kate1

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2010, 11:23:43 am »
Yep, Toshiba, Sony and Samsung are now bringing tablets out,

clarkson

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2010, 11:39:05 am »
email is a must for me! - works the same as a text, works really really well for any commercial jobs communication ....

I agree in this day and age you cannot afford not to have email on your phone in business.

Also more and more is being done over the net like midas, iam about to trial it i think via my iphone. so you need 3g and wifi as well.

cheers

john

kate1

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2010, 12:19:52 pm »
yep its the way things are going, if you dont want to change, I think you will be left behind

Steve Lowe

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2010, 01:43:00 pm »
I dont think cloud computing is the way forward.
We use Service Ceo and they have an internet version but its not for us. To me to let someone else have your business data is madness.
Also we had i phones for about a week last year and they went back. Reception and dropped calls were the problem so it was back to Blackberries for us.
Steven J Lowe MBICSc

Lowes Cleaning Services Limited
www.lowescleaning.com

kate1

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2010, 04:12:45 pm »
No, data is backed up very securely. 

On a secure server behind a firewall and you have your own mySQL database.

Steve Lowe

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2010, 04:32:08 pm »
Hi Kate

Just a few questions for you about cloud computing.

What would happen if i had my data stored in this way and the company went bust ?

What would happen if the company had an individuel who wanted to access someones data could they access it ?

Steve
Steven J Lowe MBICSc

www.lowescleaning.com

kate1

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2010, 04:49:36 pm »
Encrypted data, using blowfish technology, if you google it.

With regards to going bust, everybody will ALWAYS have their data back, in a csv format.

We do not store, or allow you to store any credit card details within the system.

Data is password protected

john tomkins

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2010, 06:31:42 pm »
No, data is backed up very securely. 

On a secure server behind a firewall and you have your own mySQL database.

I'm sure if the White House can be hacked then nothing's totally safe, admittedly window cleaning data isn't what hackers would be targetting, but nevertheless :o

kate1

« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2010, 06:38:11 pm »
All I can say John

Is we make the system as secure as we can.

As with everything in life theres always risks.

Nothing is 100% secure.  You can apply that to everything

kate1

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2010, 08:03:54 pm »
"To me to let someone else have your business data is madness."

I understand the worries about that Steve

But its never "ours" its your data.  We just manage it, enabling efficiency.  Its all backed up on a very powerful server.

We dont even look at it, we just integrate it into our system, were a service provider.  Just like google.

Hope that helps

clarkson

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2010, 10:56:21 pm »

Hi
 Steve i know you run ceo but that is massively expensive upfront, and is quite complex.

As regards data many antivirus packages backup data to there server now incase of hard drive failure its standard practice, I dont think google or norton really would plan a hostile takeover of someones window cleaning round,all of our combined turnovers wouldnt cover there staffs coffee bill for the day. even if they where bothered one of there software engineers could crack your security  and read your hard drive right under your nose in five minutes flat if they really wanted to.

I agree though blackberry is the best business phone, but i phone is close now and i phone 4 doesnt have the probs 3 and 3gs had.

blackberry just doesnt have the apps though so iphone is streets ahead as an allrounder. with fat cold fingers i could type much quicker on qwerty on bb though.

cheers

john

Window Washers

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2010, 11:14:34 pm »

Hi
 Steve i know you run ceo but that is massively expensive upfront, and is quite complex.

As regards data many antivirus packages backup data to there server now incase of hard drive failure its standard practice, I dont think google or norton really would plan a hostile takeover of someones window cleaning round,all of our combined turnovers wouldnt cover there staffs coffee bill for the day. even if they where bothered one of there software engineers could crack your security  and read your hard drive right under your nose in five minutes flat if they really wanted to.

I agree though blackberry is the best business phone, but i phone is close now and i phone 4 doesnt have the probs 3 and 3gs had.

blackberry just doesnt have the apps though so iphone is streets ahead as an allrounder. with fat cold fingers i could type much quicker on qwerty on bb though.

cheers

john
iphone 4 has loads of problems. Blackberry are now outdated, HTC is where its at  ;)

Steve Lowe

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2010, 11:31:45 pm »
Hi Ian

What HTC phone do you have ?
I have a new Touch Pro 2 sitting in the draw that i used for two weeks and it drove me nuts.
Mind you its got windows and you may have one of the others which i have heard are good.
Steven J Lowe MBICSc

www.lowescleaning.com

prestige cleaners

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2010, 11:35:22 pm »
android software is great

Window Washers

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2010, 01:25:05 am »
Hi Ian

What HTC phone do you have ?
I have a new Touch Pro 2 sitting in the draw that i used for two weeks and it drove me nuts.
Mind you its got windows and you may have one of the others which i have heard are good.
I have the HTC desire, it is a great add on to business

kate1

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2010, 07:05:55 am »
Yes I have heard that the HTC phone is very good

clarkson

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2010, 08:46:23 am »

Hi

I agree blackberry are playing catch up thats why i switched to i phone, after ten years on bb's. its just that all the software you would want to use is hardly ever supported for blackberry, its always i phone and pda on windows mobile.

I think blackberry messed up by not encouraging backroom programmers to develop software and apps with cheap licenses. They told me at window cleaner pro when i enquired that lite wasnt available for bb because of the prohibitive costs(20,000 dollars i think he said)

I just wanted to say I havnt had a single issue with the iphone since launch and reception is better than my bold 9700.

i cant comment on htc never used one.

john

Steve Lowe

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2010, 08:52:55 am »
Hi John

Is your i phone a 4 ? and what network are you on ?
Steven J Lowe MBICSc

www.lowescleaning.com

Wc Solutions

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2010, 10:34:26 am »
well after starting the post ill finish it - after playing with the samsung galaxy s for a while now its very clear its far better than the htc desire and just a little of being on par with an i phone.

very good phone!

clarkson

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2010, 04:33:05 pm »

Steve
 yeh i phone 4 on orange, had none of the much publicized signal problems.

cheers

john

wizclean

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2010, 10:21:27 pm »
none of the phones mentioned can be used at the moment with window cleaning pro you need a windows phone and the best one for that is the htc hd2 .  its a shame wcp is available on android tech as windows phones are few and far between.

clarkson

« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2010, 08:47:19 am »

Hi Wizclean

yes i agree, i have trialed it twice, i got hold of a  used  palm pda from fleabay, good bit of kit really but the abcense (at the time ) of a debtors list on lite meant you would have to carry hard copy of the rounds with you as well. sort of defeats the purpose really. plus carrying phone, wallet and pda felt like carrying to pricks around all day.

dont understand why software companies make a mobile application that doesnt work of all platforms, except perhaps blackberry, as stated i understand it costs thousands for development licenses bit beyond small independents.

anyway this is someones thread about phones not wcp.

cheers

john

lee09

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2010, 11:20:52 am »

Really?

A good deal from Orange?

Doubt it

Hi Form,
we have 4 orange phones in the family with £80 per month spend across them all.
I have one that is due an upgrade now and it currently offers 400 mins and unlimited texts for £18. per  month.
I have just taken a new deal on a Galaxy s phone where I now have unlimited land line calls, 200 any network mins, 800 texts, 15 picture messages and unlimited internet access all for £10.00 per month. Well happy (Well my daughter is) as I pay for her.
I had to pay £150 for the phone and enter into a new 2 year agreement.
I have mine and my other daughters phone available for upgrades this Wednesday.
Lee

dave.e

« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2010, 12:40:29 pm »
I to have 3 mobiles :o on orange mine is the iphone 3gs :) witch is 600 min 500 texts free landlines and internet

my sons samsung i8910hd 600 min unlimited text and internet

and my second phone is a nokia 5800 600 min unlimited text and landlines and internet

all for the price off wait for it  :o £86.00

kate1

« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2010, 12:44:41 pm »
Yep there is alot of choice around

Spruce

Re: mobile phones again .... New
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2010, 01:40:08 pm »

if you aint bothered then why even bother posting!!!!!!!!

good camera and video can really help for pricing large jobs.

Hi

Dazmond bothered posting because he is offering his experience and what phone he finds works great for him. A phone to Dazmond is a tool that he is happy with that will keep him in contact with his customers and a basic phone will do that. When he was talking about not buying a cheepo phone for £15.00, that was not to be taken literally - he used hyperbole to get the point across that a cheap phone may not last. For some a phone is a fashion statement.  I don't think having a fancy phone is going to make a customer think anymore of you than if you didn't.

I won't buy an expensive phone as I keep breaking the front screen somehow. I need something with a big screen because of my eyesight. I expect that 95% of all the window cleaners would fit into the same catagory that Dazmond and I do.

As for cloud computing, I recon that there maybe half a dozen window cleaning business that would find this useful, but in all due respect to Kate I doubt if they are members of this forum IMO.

Someone on here once said that the secret to a good window cleaning business is to keep things simple and thats true. Whilst I have nothing against new technology (after all I am now WFP) we can 'drown' ourselves with new gismos and loose the main focus of our business development. What I am trying to say is that we can spend hours and hours designing a really fancy leaflet to advertise our services, when we could put that time to more effective use and go knocking on customer's doors looking for business.

Spruce
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

kate1

Re: mobile phones again .... New
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2010, 01:53:44 pm »
Hi Spruce

Of course everybody has their own point of view.

But people are asking about apps, so there has to be a "need" (Although, we are not an app)

But I suppose there does come a point, where you cant keep carrying round all different devices, cross platforming paperwork etc.

If there were no need, people would not raise the subject.

Its everybodys choice what they do without doubt, but having the facility there should you want to have different things built into your working life, surely that must be a bonus???  You dont have to use it - but to know its available Im sure would help.  Its about choice ultimately

Admittedly, we may be for the rounds who have 2 or more vans/staff/employees, but we here just to provide a service for people who want to manage their business, should they expand