you start early il see ya there at dinnertime haha
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

geefree

Re: thinking of jackin it all in!!
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2010, 08:05:07 pm »
Dont think employees will bring in £250 per day unless you give them some incentive , target bonuses etc.

Dean Taberner

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2010, 08:06:28 pm »
early bird catches the worm richy,

Im out at 5.30am tomorrow.

Dean
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2010, 08:07:10 pm »
Decide on what business model is best for you and then pursue it.

Your choices(broadly)

1. Trad , Drive a range rover with four ladder monkeys while you direct.
2. Small vans wfp sole operator
3.Bigger van wfp.Two operators while you collect and expand the round

dazmond

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2010, 08:12:14 pm »
richy im very rarely getting in and out the van all day as a lot of my round is very compact.over 2 weeks of it is house after house after house.park up  and get on with it!some days are here and there and little clusters of work and the odd stand alone bigger job.

we all get fed up with it and no way will 2 guys do your work as good or as fast as you especially for 50quid a day!!

if i were you i would just do it all yourself and stay a one man band and keep the best paying work and constantly take on better paying work when the oppotunities arises.less hassle,simplier,less overheads,ok a bit less money but money is defo not everything if you constantly working and not enjoying it
price higher/work harder!

richywilts

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2010, 08:16:30 pm »
Dont think employees will bring in £250 per day unless you give them some incentive , target bonuses etc.

with my prices gazza its not that hard to hit that a day average price is 18quid in 1 area so thats only 13-14 house average size 3-4bed a day between 2 off them or do u think thats too much too ask??
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

dazmond

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2010, 08:17:25 pm »
ive seen a few of the small vans with 3 laddermonkeys in the back with 4 sets of ladders on the roof lately near me!!

ill stick to sole trader/small van WFP AND TRAD!!!!!! ;) ;D ;D ;D

richywilts

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2010, 08:18:43 pm »
richy im very rarely getting in and out the van all day as a lot of my round is very compact.over 2 weeks of it is house after house after house.park up  and get on with it!some days are here and there and little clusters of work and the odd stand alone bigger job.

we all get fed up with it and no way will 2 guys do your work as good or as fast as you especially for 50quid a day!!

if i were you i would just do it all yourself and stay a one man band and keep the best paying work and constantly take on better paying work when the oppotunities arises.less hassle,simplier,less overheads,ok a bit less money but money is defo not everything if you constantly working and not enjoying it

daz ya knocked it on the head mate thats whats going thru my mind but thats not really why i started up in this game but its defo sumfin to consider
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

dazmond

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2010, 08:19:47 pm »
YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO 13-14 HOUSES A DAY YOURSELF RICHY!without having to pay your mates!!

Ola Normann

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2010, 08:36:02 pm »
richy - a good advice, never ever hire a good friend!
friends an business are not a good combination, especially if you are the boss.
if you are coworkers its ok, but not else.

its good to have a distance with your workers.

bonus is a good motivation for people!

R W C™

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2010, 08:54:00 pm »
2 blokes 14 houses a day is a breeze, they should easily do that,should be in the 20s....

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2010, 08:54:23 pm »
Not to be condescending , but what are you finding hard , what are the problems , and what scale is your company at ?

Rich

im up to about 45grand turnover and recently last two months taken two lads on to do the work they roughly get 50quid a day, iv gave them a van that they take out but theyre not really taking enough money each day id really need 250 off them a day.

so im debating whether too just go it alone but i dont actually like the window cleaning side.

im just not making enough money from it at the moment so got some descisions to make.
fifty  pound a day isnt much,you want good workers you need to pay more

stan i cant fault there standards of work its not quite my standard but they do an excellent job i just cant afford to pay more, there both my friends n are both just happy to have regular work 6 days a week.

i just dont think any of us seem to work quick enough wfp dont know if were too particular

Richy your turnover is £45K and you have 2 guys and yourself?
Why not just have the one guy and yourself?

Matt
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

Dave Willis

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2010, 09:04:38 pm »
I would jack it in - you could probably earn £12000 at the local supermarket.  ::)

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2010, 09:43:31 pm »
Or seek asylum in West London - you could do worse.

Ste M

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2010, 12:02:37 am »
i know gav but its just 1 fing after another im prob just on a bad comedown from stes weding at weekend but i am getting fed up, people not paying etc just gets on me man boobs the more customers u have the harder it is to keep track of fings.

u still on for the school next week boyo :-\
what day still no van where is it the liverpool one
or sale ?????????????

Liverpool one? Can I come as well? Ill have a hot water system soon so ill be brilliant for this?

Ste M

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2010, 12:07:54 am »
years ago i had a much bigger round and had different guys working for me and in the end it became too much hassle.most were crap and by the time id payed them i wasnt making much more money!ive had about 80 lads over the years and felt like jacking it a few times.

my round is smaller but no hassle with no employees!!bliss for me!!

then again if you dont like window cleaning then your gonna have lots of problems and headaches unless you do the work yourself!!!

its not so much the actual window cleaning daz its more the stoppin and starting getting in and out the van all day on a hot warm day ya cant beat it being out there cleaning, i think il giv meself another year to get things running smoothly and looks to save on costs etc

Sounds like you could do with some business advice mate, I know all about lean manufacturing an other business methods that may help out if you need any advice? Plus my wife is a business development manager!

Gav has my number mate

Ste M

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2010, 12:17:06 am »

with my prices gazza its not that hard to hit that a day average price is 18quid in 1 area so thats only 13-14 house average size 3-4bed a day between 2 off them or do u think thats too much too ask??

One man should be in his 20's if the work is compact, even if it isn't he wouldn't be far off, well I wouldn't anyway. I have good compact work where I can easily do 30 + a day no problem. I know the round like the back of my hand an even when I was on the ladders I still did 20+ a day

windowswashed

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2010, 12:35:03 am »
No point doing all the extra work of employing if it's not really paying for itself. Increase prices to realistic ones if too low and pay or offer a decent wage and bonus. £50 a day to an employee isn't much at all truthfully for workers to graft for you to make a profit from them. Sounds like you all need incentives, raise the gain. :)

geefree

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2010, 12:38:48 am »
If you posting on here about jacking...... you are ready to jack.  otherwise you would not sit down and tell a load of strangers.

but i think you are just in a bad place today  ;)

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2010, 06:51:07 am »
Do you do any of the work yourself?
Are the lads working 5 days?

If you expect them to turn over £250 per day and have an annual turnover of £45k then something is going amiss.

I don't think you can live off 2 men without working yourself.

Even if they take £200 per day for 5 days that should cover the £45k THEN you add to that your own potential of say £150 per day.

Your weekly turnover should be at least £1500

£500 direct wages and another ££500 costs if they are on the books should leave you with £500 or so for your wages.

That said that would mean a turnover of £72k over 48 weeks.

Throw some more facts at us so that we can see where the problem is.

How many days do each of the lads work?
How many days do you work?
What work potentially do you have on your books per year?
Are the lads on PAYE or cash in pocket?
How much do you need to earn to survive(after tax)? How long have you been trading?
How many vehicles?
Who works with who?

I have had lads work with me and worked alone, it can be difficult to achieve the needed turnover and stay sane at the same time.