Klean07

Cleaning road signs.
« on: June 05, 2010, 12:26:58 pm »
I've just won a contract with the Highways agency to clean all the road signs in my area excluding motorways and dual carriage ways of course. It works out to about £5 per sign every two months.
Does anyone else do this kind of work?
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

formb

Re: Cleaning road signs.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 12:29:02 pm »
No sounds like a cracker though, how on earth did you manage to pull off that one?

sherco

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 12:30:56 pm »
I've just won a contract with the Highways agency to clean all the road signs in my area excluding motorways and dual carriage ways of course. It works out to about £5 per sign every two months.
I would of kept that to myself...Now everybody will want to do it.
Natural stone floor restoration service.
Natural stone fixing and repairs.
www.poshstonefloors.co.uk

Klean07

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 12:34:30 pm »
I was driving around the area last year and my mate suggested it. Some of the signs round here are unreadable because of dirt or algie etc. So  I wrote to them asking if anyone did them. I do have to send them a report first though to explain to them how I intend to do the dangourous ones. Though they're going to provide me with some special warning signs that I can atteatch to my van etc.

Klean07

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 12:36:06 pm »
I would of kept that to myself...Now everybody will want to do it.
I got the contract for 40 mile radius of where I'm based. Theres plenty for everyone.

paul rulton

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 12:37:05 pm »
i thought about that a few years back, never done anything about as i just thought the council would cover it...... gutted!!!!!! wot a prat  ::) ::) ::)

Klean07

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 12:38:27 pm »
I'm sure if you write a letter to the highways dept theres a good chance that you'll get a contract.

richywilts

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 12:42:32 pm »
how do you plan to clean the signs purely with your waterfed pole system or are you considering using a pressure washer and detergent???
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

paul rulton

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 12:52:09 pm »
I'm sure if you write a letter to the highways dept theres a good chance that you'll get a contract.
any chance u could email me a copy of ur letter please? just so i can have a rough ideaof how u done it. im so not good at all those things  ::) ::) ::)

paul rulton

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 12:55:42 pm »
this helps  ??? ??? prwindowcleaning@live.co.uk    haha didnt even get that rite LOL  ;D

james44

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 02:21:45 pm »
I used to do this for kent council, so how many cleans do you have to do for the £5 a sign?

A know with traffic cone some are as little as 10p a cone!

Klean07

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 02:23:31 pm »
how do you plan to clean the signs purely with your waterfed pole system or are you considering using a pressure washer and detergent???
Wfp with brush. On most of them we intend to just drive alongside and clean them through van window. I've got a very short pole for doing this.

james44

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2010, 02:30:52 pm »
On most of them we intend to just drive alongside and clean them through van window.

If you do that they will get rid of you for sure!

how many cleans do you have to do for the £5 a sign?

richywilts

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2010, 02:35:11 pm »
why dont u have an amber flashing light put on your van and aslong as you cone of say 20metres in front cant see there bein a problem, also could you clean at night time in early hours this may improve productivity and get more done with less problems.

i think you have done well to negotiate a 2monthly contract i cant see them needing cleaning that often,how many signs have they asked you to clean???
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

formb

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 02:35:44 pm »
On most of them we intend to just drive alongside and clean them through van window. I've got a very short pole for doing this.

Eh? Really?

paul rulton

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2010, 02:42:14 pm »
u would be ok form b  ;) get on the grass with ur landy  ;)

james44

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2010, 02:45:31 pm »
why dont u have an amber flashing light put on your van

That he will need richy i know because i have done it and will also need arrow signs or something simular, as you will be parking anywere next to traffic lights etc!

It`s not as straight forward as you think it would be!

Remember those signs are lit up at night so electrics are involved so you can`t just fire water everywere as for working hrs, can`t remember but i am sure that there is certain times in the day and night that you can carry this work out!

The times differ from area to area!

formb

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2010, 02:51:20 pm »
u would be ok form b  ;) get on the grass with ur landy  ;)
:D

RO-Sheen

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2010, 03:06:09 pm »
Great idea, Could you send me a copy of your letter pretty please? I wont copy it but just want to see how you worded it because it obviously worked. I live in Witney Oxfordshire so way out of your area. my email is info@ro-sheen.co.uk

Cheers mate and well done!
Formerly known as GARGAAX

tomy jackson

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2010, 03:42:17 pm »
i think hes takeing micky pull up and wash thowe cab window  ;D ;D ;D