The Fox

Advice Needed
« on: March 18, 2005, 08:13:22 pm »

I am thinking about starting a window cleaning round.
My wife is disabled and I packed up work to look after her. Being home all day is doing my head in and she is a bit better now so I want to get back to work. I do not want to work for someone else again + I need a job that is very flexible. I may have to get home very quick in an emergency.  Now what I would like to know is, having a small round only working mornings. Keeping afternoons free to look after my wife and to and do the odd job and catch up from bad weather and home emergencies. I will need to replace my benefits to make it worthwhile so I will need a weekly income of   £200 +.
If I go ahead I intend to get a WFP Trolley system, fully insured and legal (I am not going to fiddle benefits)  I would like to keep a small regular customer base and give them a quality service so if my wife condition gets worse I will still be able to keep the round running without disappointing them. 

I am not stupid I know it will take time to build the round up and the work is hard I have spent over half my working life working outdoors (I am 44) so I know what it is like working out doors in the winter. I just want to work and get of benefits.

Now the big question am I living in cuckoo land or is this achievable Any input would be appreciated.

Jon T.C.

Re: Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 09:44:12 pm »
Hi Fox,

Yes this is easily achievable,given the hours you want to work.Get some flyers printed and get out canvassing.You will find ideas for flyers and wfp trolley systems for sale in used equipment. Any other advice just post on this site. Everyone on here is really helpfull ;D

Good luck Jon

P.S. Good on yer for wanting to start over and sorting yourself out :)
Elite Cleaning Solutions

AuRavelling79

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 10:15:05 pm »
So you need about £200 pw (plus the cost of fuel/equipment/wear and tear etc) say £1000 per calendar month. If domestic, you need 100 customers at an average of £10 per house.

If you're starting from scratch why not go for a niche market - houses with upstairs windows not easily accessible from ladders or those with "stick-on lead" - you'll be quicker than even an experienced trad. w/c who may well tend to avoid them. You'll be able to charge more - say an extra 50% - and do them in the same time. And they're often only leaded at the front! ;D

That way you might only need, say 70 customers at £14/£15 per house.
It's a game of three halves!

Roy Harding

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 10:47:47 pm »
Also is there a start up grant avalible for you as I know someone who had one. :)

Grafters Cleaning Services

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 12:28:51 am »
hi fox, £200 is a very easy target to reach once you've mastered the art of window cleaning, example: i divide my work load into 4 weekly, this week without even trying to hard i picked up and extra £112 worth more than i had this time 4 weeks ago, purely because i finished earlier than expected and did a bit of door knocking, if you are thinking of wfp (and that is the best way to go) take into consideration the initial outlay first, as a starter i would look on the lines of a trolley system, it would also pay you to be converse with the traditional method too in case you pick up any shops fronts etc, which ever way you go hope you do well and best of luck 8)
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

The Fox

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 10:29:24 am »
Thank s Guys you have been a great help
I have decided the best thing to do is go on a course at the window cleaning academy I have worked up ladders before but never done window cleaning. As far as going into a niche market there is a lot of big old houses around here + a lot of town houses that’s why I decided on the WFP trolley is the best way to go for me. So I will be visiting the jobcentre Monday to find out what help they will give me hopefully I will be up and running sooner then later.

ONCE AGAIN THANKS FOR THE ADVICE ;D

dustycorner

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 09:09:45 pm »
Hi Fox,

Most of my  round is in Bury st edmunds, if you want ot come out for a day to see how we go about our work your more than welcome, pm me if interested.

Cheers Mark.

dustycorner

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2005, 09:12:48 pm »
Hi Fox,

Contact the Suffolk Regeneration Trust re loans they are based in Bury St Edmunds.

Cheers Mark.

Sunshine

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2005, 08:10:21 pm »
Hi and welcome!!

Good for you and wanting to give this a go.

My advice to you would be "be very carefull"!!!!

We started part time (and still are) wanting one saturday a month.

Its now got to the stage where we have a shed load of work with new customers asking us to clean everytime we go out!

Find what works for you, that goes for advertising, quotes, collecting your money and running your business.

Finally never be afraid to ask....we did ...we still do.....the great thing about this forum is that we all help each other.

So go for it and be carefull as your going to be an outstaning success.

All the best

Sunshine