Pete_Riley

Advertising
« on: May 19, 2004, 12:04:42 am »
What other forms of advertising do you guys use to get business,apart from flyers and door knocking.Any comments welcome.Thanks

Neil

Re: Advertising
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 12:31:15 am »
Hi Pete,

By far my best source of new work with no effort comes from a hairdresser,
I had a word with the owner, who put a pile of my flyers on the counter,
The work started to come in within a couple of days and all of it has been good quality work.
Its a matter of principle with a lot of women, (If your good enough for mrs A you can be sure mrs B will want you!)

Neil

Pete_Riley

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 12:44:57 am »
Thanks Neil,I will give that a go m8.

Majestic

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 01:08:18 am »
I have my name and phone number on my van that brings in some work, also I have a add in Yellow Pages( that does not work for everyone, it depends on your area and how many other window cleaners are in ) I get asked to clean freinds of my customers, and stopped in the street
John

Pete_Riley

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 01:52:07 am »
Majestic,is your van sign written.I am thinking about magnetic signs do you know anything about them.cheers

seanc

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 02:26:52 am »
my personale thoughts are magnets look taky and they cost a lot but if you can not put perm sighns on tha van a sighn is a sighn
do it today tommorow never comes

Majestic

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 02:33:56 am »
Peter
Yes it has my name, phone number, and web address on it . I just had a look in Yellow pages for the nearest sign writer , there are lots about now
John

pjulk

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 02:35:03 am »
I was also thinking about magnetic signs and found them cheap on ebay
£20 + £6 p&p

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14048&item=3193002927&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Paul

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2004, 11:21:37 pm »
Hi,

I've been cleaning windows for over a year now and have tried various forms of advertising which were:

Leaflets:  I had around a 2% success with these.  You can push 100 out in an hour and for a five hour day, you'll get around ten phone calls.  Now and again you'll hit a good area and get lots, but that is rare.  However, customers tend to grab you over the months, since they have a good idea of who you are.

Local Pages:  This was a waste of time as the phone calls I've received have all been for areas I don't want to branch out in.  I tend to pass these calls out to other window cleaners who do the areas.  It was an expensive mistake at £230.00 for my advert.

Canvassing:  I tried, but quickly got disheartened after about fifty refusals, because they already had window cleaners.

Grabbed in the street:  Look as smart as you can, shave; remove bones through your nose and piercings in eyebrows - I picked up another three customers today.  Rather than use your car for short distance drive-betweens - WALK, and be seen.  Appear friendly and approachable (unlike my window cleaning missis who avoids potential new customers towards the end of the day when she's knackered - grumpy cow!).

Other Window Cleaners:  Every time you see one, say 'ello and have a chat.  The decent ones will ask for your number, so they can pass on work they don't want.  Do the same for them.  Try not to poach their customers - some get upset.

Time:  The bigger your operation gets, the more customers come your way.  I'm refusing more work than I'm taking on as I don't want to branch out in anymore new areas.  Be patient.