pylofm

Angry window cleaner calling....
« on: September 15, 2006, 07:26:55 pm »
Hi all...well it had to happen...went out delivering leaflets today....and we had our first Mr. Angry Window cleaner call us and start by telling us we were parasites and were ruining window cleaning...and that we were on his area as he had bought it....

This guy phoned my girlfriend, she used to be a social worker with homeless people and those with drug dependancy and the like, so she is pretty good with the angry types....

This guy then goes on to ask did we want to buy his 50 customers (x6 or x7 the value here in Holland) in that area...The girlfriend laughed at him and said that we would continue doing what we are doing but we would not buy his customers....

The g/f went onto tell this guy that we would not take his customers or under price to get work...in the end he calmed down.....but still tried to maintain he owned the area....owned what...streets, people (slave trade?).

Have you suffered a fool such as this?

I was out when we got this call....Would loved to have explained what I thought..

On the other hand had a w/c call last week and he was good as gold and I even passed a job onto him yesterday....

Dave.

geefree

Re: Angry window cleaner calling....
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 09:03:03 am »
Hi Dave,

not had that happen yet, to me

its a good thread , and im suprised no one has replied to it yet to give you advice and a bit of support here, im sure they will,

i have been stared at by angry window cleaner, but politely said good morning,

maybe he doesnt know what i was delivering as you tend to walk a long wasy from van..

keep battling dave and good look.

my brother is a joiner and if other joiners said its their own area , etc.... or a plumber ,electrician, milkman ,

get my point.  :D

geefree

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 09:04:12 am »
dave move this to the other forum. ;)

pylofm

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 12:58:28 pm »
Cheers Gazza...how you coping?

Email me.... info AT paintefx.nl

Majestic

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 05:35:42 pm »
When I first started out I went out canvasing . I knocked on a door where a window cleaner lived . He had a problem with me knocking on doors in his street.
I asked him if he cleaned all the houses in his street, he said no , so my reply was that  I was not taking any work off him and I carried on knocking .
I must admit I did not like going out doorknocking

geefree

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 06:43:10 pm »
bet that was a bit daunting , luckily i had a tip off where someone told me where the local w/c lived whilst canvassing,... canvassing does get monotonous, i feel like i am begging, also i feel they think they are doing me a favour by the way they answer etc, (you all know what i mean)..... at least with leaflets , they ring because they want a w/c,... and i dare say will accept top prices as the dirty windows are really starting to bother them by this point.

dave did you get my tester email,

bloody foreigner lol.. dutch email address ;)

pylofm

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 07:01:21 pm »
Yeah I did get your email...will start spamming it forthwith  !!

pylofm

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 08:13:36 pm »
Just a question...when you go for quotes do you get asked into the peoples homes....with one exception I have been invited into every customers house...

Dave.

Alistair@AWC

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 11:10:49 pm »
Dave,

Ive not been window cleaning long myself and Ive had 4 seperate angry calls from WC's, all saying that ive been leafleting on there patch

It can be a little off putting at first but I wouldn't let it worry you I just explained to them that unless they clean every house in that area I will continue to canvass it until ive found the houses they dont clean

And after Ive explained to them that Im not here to undercut or steal 'happy' customers 3 of them calmed down and were fine.

The one remaining angry WC continued to insist that he owned the street because he bought it off the previous WCer, to which I asked who gave the previous WCer exclusive rights and all he could say was he was going to report me to the WCing Union and have me struck off from WCing........ then hanging up LOL  ;D

And from speaking to some customers on this street that is his general attitude to them so it shouldnt take me long to convert them.

I seem to remember you saying before that you've been struggling to pick up customers.....so why not offer him 2/3 times clean price payable in instalments of 2/3 after each clean. But whatever you do this guy is trying to scare you off just dont let him.

Regards

Alistair

Trevor Knight

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 01:59:47 am »
No window cleaner "owns" any area. They may have lots of owrk in a certain area but that's as far as it goes.

As long as you don't deliberately undercut him or take his customers then tell him to get lost!

Bloody cheek  >:(
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

pylofm

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2006, 07:57:34 am »
As for buying, the rate is around x6 or x7 the single clean price here in Holland...Plus at the moment I seem to be picking up between 3 and 7 jobs per week...which is now inline with my projections and targets.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers
Dave.

geefree

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2006, 03:10:04 pm »
spamming what do you mean

Trevor Knight

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2006, 03:51:42 pm »
 ;D thats a polite way of saying "you will have mail, mail, mail, mail, mail,mail,mail lol
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

Majestic

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2006, 06:53:34 pm »
( Spamming )
Where do you get all the email addresses from

captain lard

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2006, 07:26:18 pm »
I have decided to give up door knocking because I just dont like it at all,know exactly what you mean Gaz re begging,I now rely on leaflets and letting them ring if they are interested and picking up new jobs as I clean I existing customers.
I was given info in the summer re streets where there was no cleaner allegedly but after knocking people claimed there was a cleaner so I backed off but picked up 4 terraced houses last week on someone elses patch cos the customers were fed up of waiting for him to come so I thought fair do's they came to me I was not trying to take it from him.
My neighbours mother sacked her WC,she was unhappy re their attitude etc and asked me to clean but then said she was going to knock on her neighbours to see if they wanted to change but I tried to dissuade her from that because I felt that was a bit much really.

Pro_Clean

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2006, 07:36:27 pm »
Yes, about 18 months ago i had a donut give it large (him and his mate). I gave him a large one too...on the end of his chin...fact ;D

groundhog

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2006, 09:36:47 pm »
He must have been a little bloke then ProPole ;D ;)

pjulk

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2006, 11:37:46 pm »
I have seen these posts before about angry window cleaners.
Some people must live in some right rough areas.

Never had a problem with another window cleaner and talk to most there is a few who won't talk though but never had no problems.

Paul

P®oPole™

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2006, 01:32:06 pm »
He must have been a little bloke then ProPole ;D ;)

:D Highly ammusing, thats a bit below the belt what have I told you about all the narky comments!!

Shouldnt you be out working? beofre you ask Im done for the day. wfp allows me to work at a rate were I can work 2 or 6 hours and still come home with a nice drink, you should learn how to use yours effectively.

I saw the grumpy shiner from around here again this morning. He thinks hes the best w/c in the world. Hes got to be anti-wfp because he hates me, even though I have never spoken to him. I've tried a couple of times, saying "alright mate" but both times he blanked me, I laughed in his face this morning. Also he still uses milk crates and also has a bin which he stands on to do high retail shop windows Im gonna see what he does next time if he blanks me again Im going to give him a right earfull and maybe get up early to get my camrea out, I might also go and see the store manager...... dirty tatics some might say but I dont see it like that, its commercial work and this is business, hes a rude ba@@@d and cant even be bothered to network or even say hello. The attituide on him is unbelivable, I also speak to a young ladie from the local bakery and she hates him, he might be rude to everyone, but could at least give a nod to hes fellow shiner.

I would like to add that I speak and regulary network with many window cleaners from around here and they are all very nice blokes. Some pass work my way and I also pass some there way its just a shame we have idiots like this in our industry.

Do I sense these same hostiliteis with you groundhog, I thought we settled our diffrences on another thread.

Do you have something against me groundhog?

Regards
ProPole

geefree

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2006, 07:21:58 pm »
lol right then , blocked !