Mike Halliday

'danger fabric'
« on: October 22, 2009, 01:31:41 pm »
cleaned this fabric last week it was on 2 re-upholstered wing chairs, totally not colour fast!!

luckily it wasn't very dirty so we just rinsed it with Chemspecs high heat which is an acid cleaner, these areas were fine but to remove the head grease we used a light spray of M/S which showed a very slight color bleed (unnoticeable to an untrained eye)

as soon as I saw these chairs my spider sense started to tingle 8) 8) I knew some thing was not right then when I mentioned the colour bleeding problem to the client they told the the upholsterer had told them the fabric was not suitable for upholstery.

the material  was an off cut from some curtain material they had, so they  decided to get the chairs to match.

she gave us an off-cut so we had I tried a few different solutions and even  mild alkali's made the colours run.

I would have taken a photo to show you the colours running but the wife was stood watching and I didn't want to alarm her.
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Re: 'danger fabric'
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 05:48:28 pm »
Mike,
i have cleaned a very similar material, but i dry cleaned it(solvent). Some of these fabrics "run" when they hear water running ;D

Regards

Daryl

vacman

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 09:25:47 pm »
head grease?!!?!??!!! ergh lol i feel queasy  ;D

dave123

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 09:35:32 am »
Mike , Have you ever tried using a fixer on such materials ? I use finish, which i spray over the fabric when cleaned , to hold the colours in . I also spray this on carpets after cleaning to prevent any unseen problems such as  "wick back ". I  get it from Ashbys