j. paterson

removing candle candle wax
« on: March 05, 2009, 09:42:29 am »
Hello again,was as here two days ago asking best way to remove face wax,well now going to see a job consisting of cleaning carpets but also requires removing candle wax. While looking for information I have come across contradictory information from using an iron and towel to freezing the wax, to just using extraction. (and others)WHAT IS THE MOST RELIABLE METHOD ?   
James
(have been in business for six months and am doing well. Have had training but intend having more during coming year.)

doug@munters

Re: removing candle candle wax
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 05:06:24 pm »
I have tried all manner of ways to remove wax and my favoured method is the warm iron and brown paper way
Start at low-mid temp (you can increase if wax is not melting) place paper over wax and apply tip of iron to paper  and move paper away but do not let iron touch carpet, keep the paper moving that is the key You will notice wax transferring to paper  keep repeating process until you remove all or most of the wax and finish off with HWE and perhaps a solvent spotter

Be aware of your carpet fibres obviously adjusting iron temp depending on what you are dealing with also there may be an element of dyr from the candle that may also need removed

Good luck let us know how you get on

murky

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 05:08:31 pm »
I have seen allsorts of ways of removing candle wax.

The ones involving an iron because they usually knock the iron over and scorch the carpet.

Ther way I do it and it has allways worked for me, is, get a good quality hair dryer tht really heats up and a vac with an accessory pipe ie; Henry, George etc etc.  

Get the dryer in one hand, set it on hot, blow it over the wax blowing side to side so you dont damage the pile (especially if its man made) vac pipe in the other hand and just hold it above the wax and it sucks up the softened wax, works a treat, dont worry the wax doesnt go in the machine it stays in the pipe and the amount is so small it wont damage anything.

Never failed on me yet.

Good luck.

Murky

trevor perry

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 06:29:57 pm »
I have seen allsorts of ways of removing candle wax.

The ones involving an iron because they usually knock the iron over and scorch the carpet.

Ther way I do it and it has allways worked for me, is, get a good quality hair dryer tht really heats up and a vac with an accessory pipe ie; Henry, George etc etc.  

Get the dryer in one hand, set it on hot, blow it over the wax blowing side to side so you dont damage the pile (especially if its man made) vac pipe in the other hand and just hold it above the wax and it sucks up the softened wax, works a treat, dont worry the wax doesnt go in the machine it stays in the pipe and the amount is so small it wont damage anything.

Never failed on me yet.

Good luck.

Murky

that sounds a good idea think i will have to nick the wifes hairdryer. ;D
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 07:23:19 pm »
i just pop a hand tool on and rine it out easy with a t.m. running heat  ;)