Shaun_Ashmore

"ghost STD number"
« on: February 25, 2007, 05:54:35 pm »
I saw a post a couple of weeks ago about a company selling STD numbers that are in an area you may want to advertise in so that you look local, anyone know that company?

Shaun

stains-away

Re: "ghost STD number"
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 05:58:43 pm »
I dont know the company that was mentioned on that particular thread but smartnumbers do them http://www.smartnumbersuk.com/ , Andy

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 06:30:13 pm »
thanks Andy

ianharper

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 07:41:02 am »
shaun

i had about six of these from BT was very expensive and not worth it for passive advertising.

working with 0800 numbers now with town names under them. at only a five pounds a month great value.

one other way i use these 0800 is to track marketing, say i have a new idea and want to see what response i get i rent a 0800 number just for this idea  and at the end of the month i get a statement telling what calls i got and when.

great way to shut up media sales guys with all their BS about response rates. and makes my marketing money work much harder for me. and wasting it on adverts that don't work.

Respect

Ian Harper

stevegunn

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 07:49:42 am »
I use smartnumbers and they very good

paul wright

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 10:28:34 am »
so do i

NigelD

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 05:59:41 pm »
Use Telecom IT £5 per month + 1 off set up charge

Geoff Jewkes

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 06:15:59 pm »
Smartnumbers!

garyj

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 11:54:13 pm »
I looked into this and found one minor problem. If you know your area well and are one of those sad people like me who know the codes for all the villages off by heart and have a good idea as to what the first few numbers will be because you've lived in the area to long then you'll realise the first 2 or 3 numbers don't equate to anything else in the area, so making yourself look less local than you'd think.
( does that make sense??).

Doug Holloway

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 07:37:26 am »
Hi Guys,

I have one for the Chelmsford area and as Gary says it doesn't appear to be any more local area but is obviously a general code allocated to ghost numbers.

I'm not sure if its beneficial or not having ghost numbers, certainly haven't pulled up any trees !

Cheers

Doug

paul wright

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 03:31:22 pm »
hav 8 smart numbers and they work a treat, people are just looking for the code ie  01245. 01376. 01621 etc  the rest of the number dont matter

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 05:14:40 pm »
Paul I'd disagree with the people in my area, they don't call the STD code just the local digits so to me that is the most important.

Shaun

paul wright

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 01:16:25 am »
nah  it makes u look local  thats what people look for  and it works for me

ianharper

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 05:26:46 am »
Shaun

Give people  a reason the other that local phone numbers. this with price marketing/shoppers is what you need to avoid.

good headline and most off all an offer.

just think about it if your are talking about passive marketing then when prospects are looking all they see is loads of carpets cleaners, so you need to give them a reason to call you. self interest is the number from their point of view and a offer should answer this.

I hear what you are saying about about local digits. but i tested this to my expense last year. BT do what is call remote call forwarding. i had loads. you pick what exchange they forward from. it just does not work with passive marketing.

Respect

Ian Harper

Jason Hedges

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2007, 08:40:27 pm »
Hi all,

If anyone is still looking at getting another local STD number just been on the smartnumbers website http://www.smartnumbersuk.com/index-local.asp and they've got a special offer at the moment of £3.95+Vat a month per number directed to your landline (normal price £9.95). That includes free connection, 240 free minutes then 2.95 pence per minute after.

Rang them on the off chance someone was there and there was (8 o'clock on a Saturday!) He said the £3.95 was for the monthly service charge and once signed up that price will remain.  Just signed myself up.

Great deal I think, just thought I'd share my find with you all ;)

Kind regards,
Jason.