only joking mate  ;)
Too many Jack D and coke tonight :) :P
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

Len Gribble

Re: TM or Portable
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2007, 08:48:15 pm »
Just love drying times argument, ;D not there long enough to find out, but give a ballpark figure, which the customer/wife understands! ???

Why did I buy it? Productivity is the key = what! ;D  Which I will leave to conjecture. ::)

Still maintain my stance (Think TM’s in South East London/North Kent area are a total waist of time and money, as you can’t park anywhere!)

Shaun/Paul

What Leather is it a secret shop  8)

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

*paul_moss

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2007, 08:52:28 pm »
Len
totally top secret and your too far south to be in the circle ;)
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

carpetguy

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2007, 11:41:32 pm »
Not endorsing any particulat machine, but I'd be surprised if John Bolton ( the man behind the UK version of Ed Valentines Cross American Recoil ) failed to get the relevent spec' for EC requirements.

I know t/m 's have massive power and in theory, should outperform portables.................but, even 8 years ago I believe the CFR, was capable of equalling a t/m's performance, in terms of.............drying times and standard of clean achieved......................but, as always....................only in the right hands, which applies to any system. I owned a 400 psi CFR but, even then, 1000 psi was available.

Len mentions productivity and the American o/p users claim to achieve the highest productivety, but the makers of the Cimex machine, make similar claims.

ianharper

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2007, 12:24:23 pm »
guys

just out of interest has any one dumped a TM for a portable?

I have. had worked with a portable for some time then toke the step to go to TM. hated every day and job heavy hoses higher costs etc.

I think that some might defend Tm but know there drawbacks but would fell silly saying so after spending so much money (respectfully)

the main point here is drying times or so you say but i'll bet its the quick in and out really. that fine if yon dont want to get to know your customers. the sink side chat can tell you lots about why she called you and about any other experiences she had with carpet cleaners, this information is worth the time at the sink.

no mater what you may think your customers think about you being quick, i know that they always look at the time spent on the job to see if they got value for money, not that i take a long time myself but at least i get that few moments to chat.

if your customers know you more they will look at you as their friend in the cleaning business. link this to monthly newsletters and you have started to build a relationship with them.

i good test is if they know your name when you go back (that's if you do) after a year? i have not spoken to some of my maid service clients for years, as i have someone else call them each week, but they know me and my name if i do speak to them on the phone when they call and i answer.

why do i think this? because i cant say that a TM gives anything more to a customer than a portable. so as with all things in life its selfish reasons why people buy TM's.

I say this with total respect to all you TM owners.

my mates guys do seven to eight jobs a day with a portable. and his got a massive customer database and repeat work. two guys working for him. he drives any car wants. and lives on his own farm. all from carpet cleaning with a portable.

Respect

Ian Harper

Phil Marlor

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2007, 12:53:06 pm »
I have no problem with giving out the negetives about TM's, but I still wouldn't go back to Portables.

Negatives are:-

1. 2" vac hose are heavy and are a pain in the rear to keep clean
    during winter.
2. The costs are higher with fuel, however, replacing 2 vacs every
    year used to be expensive.
3. Maintenance is more technical.
4. Can't think of anymore

Also, I always find lots of time to speak to customers. I dont understand why people saying having a TM makes you ignore them. ???

Phil

Stevenage, Herts

LUTON TOWN 3-0 SUNDERLAND

paul wright

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2007, 05:12:07 pm »
hi ian, did u buy the truckmount to use yourself ?

Steve Chapman

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2007, 06:08:01 pm »
The kitchen sink thing is a bit of a misnomer, as i like many still use it to fill prespary bottles etc and have a good old chat with the customer,

and normally i will always go in and have a chat for a while before i start any job :)

You don't really need an excuse to talk do you?

Most of mine off me tea and bickies and we have a good old chinwag, and then book a few more carpets in 8)

So to say having a porty gives you more time for talking is a bit strange ;)

regards
steve

Matt Read

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2007, 07:06:00 pm »
I built my business with portables and think they are great, i finally bought a truckmount after 12 years,last september and it has changed everything for me.

I haven't tried a high end portable,but in my opinion there is no comparison to an average porty, the first carpets i clean in a property are often touch dry before i leave even with no air mover installed.

I don't find it any harder work or longer to set up than the porty , i normally vac and prespray the first room before i set up the tm and being self sufficient with water i carry on through until i've finished.

All the customers are impressed with the setup ,apart from people who are having carpets cleaned for the first time,,,they just think thats how its done ! I've also found i have more time to spend on the difficult stains,my back doesn't ache anymore,and wished i got it years ago .
Matt

paul wright

« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2007, 04:49:31 pm »
id  really like to see a petrol truckmount  up agaisnt a porty tm  just to c what take longers to setup  what takes longer to clean etc  think it be bit eye opener for petrol truck mounters who went from a crapy under powerd porty to ptm

*paul_moss

« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2007, 09:43:34 pm »
Paul
are you talking from experience ? and what is a porty tm
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

John Kelly

« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2007, 09:55:16 pm »
A porty truckmount is a Prowler ;)

steve k

« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2007, 10:37:48 pm »
John,
any further info on the prowler as the info on your site is a bit vague.
What are the benefits for the user and customer of the prowler and its advantages over conventional T/M and portable?

carpetguy

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2007, 11:09:44 pm »
And so it goes on, as it always will. I've read reports on t/m's v's others over some years and the arguments, at the end of the day, are really pointless.

Whether you choose to use t/m's, portables, o/p's, if you are dedicated to high standards and value for money, you will succeed, provided, of course, you deliver the goods.

One thing that puzzles me a bit, is the claim that it's easier on the back, to use a t/m and I can't understand why this should be. I'd have expected exactly the opposite !

*paul_moss

« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2007, 11:10:18 pm »
John what price does the Prowler  retail at ?
Nice piece of kit.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

John Kelly

« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2007, 11:13:12 pm »
Briefly before I retire to bed. The main benefits are the versatility. It can be taken from the van and left on site to run off a hose pipe whilst the van attends other work. If the van or the Prowler breaks down it does not force both off the road, unlike a permanently fixed unit.
It is more powerful than any electrically powered portable. Is capable of pressure washing at up to 2000psi.
It is simple to maintain and parts are inexpensive to replace.
Unfortunately until you've used one it is difficult to appreciate its qualities.
Benefits for the customer are probably quicker drying times however this is a contentious issue.
The main benefit to the user is time.

John Kelly

« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2007, 11:16:03 pm »
The price is £5995 = vat. I think the easier on the back bit comes from not having to drag a machine in and out the van and up steps etc, not the actual wanding. Of course if you have a van mounted porty it is not as much an issue.

*paul_moss

« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2007, 11:25:56 pm »
At that price I would not even consider buying a high powered porty as the Prowler would leave it standing for only a couple of grand more, which if you divide that over the year is nothing.
The power is the same as a entry level truckmount.

I wish this was out a couple of years a go.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

paul wright

« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2007, 03:56:41 am »
more like 4 grand diff,   and how much cost in petrol a year