1001 carpet moose

Cleaning Resource

TM or Portable
« on: February 06, 2007, 10:14:58 pm »
Just wondering how many people have invested in a truck mount ;D

*paul_moss

Re: TM or Portable
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 10:17:59 pm »
Just moved over to truckmount an must say its a different world :)
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

Cleaning Resource

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 10:22:03 pm »
I gotta say i`m surprised I didn`t think it would be as high as that...........

Im of down the shops to by a TM. ::)

BRSL

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 10:36:45 pm »
I was told once when looking at buying mine that 94% of the states use TM's and only 6% of us do for obvious reasons I know but if this was true it isnt no more with the increase in (economical)  ;) TM's coming on the market, but I too am suprised
W - www.brsl.co.nz
E - james@brsl.co.nz

Kind regards James C

carpetguy

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 10:55:30 pm »
I don't believe, for one second,  the claim about 94% American usage of T/M's I am a regular visitor to a very busy c/c forum, which covers the US and CANADA and the main discussions are and have been for the past 5 or 6 years, about portables and o/p machines, the latter having an increasing market share, but don't take my word for it, Ed Valentine is a regular visitor to this site and I'm sure will confirm that ..................the US and Canadians are very much, users of powerful portables and to a lesser, but increasing extent o/p machines.

robbie

Mike Halliday

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 07:30:39 am »
Robbie, which forum is that? I visit the American  ICS forum and find portables rarely discussed although there is talk on ops machines.

I'd say its more like 85% of proffessional company use truckmounts.

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

carpetguy

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 08:06:49 am »
kleen kuip

I've visited this forum for around 6 years maybe more and found a great deal of useful info' on it, including products and machines, systems.

There are links which take you to many suppliers and the machines are literally half what they cost here................they had a " booster box " on the Cross American some years ago and I fancied the machine, as it was powerful enough to be left in the van................appealed to me for it's power, rather than it's looks..............

Pad Man has been mainly responsible for the o/p success, but has others following, due to his success, it's far from new, having been developed over the past 50 years by another company.

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 08:10:15 am »
its the same old story like wfp systems they are not gods gift to window cleaning :-\
like TM you are always going to need a porty at some point its just not practical
to have TM any where every where,its all down to your work load,Ideal world have both ;D not that we have we use ninja ;D
WWW.FASTESTWINDOWCLEANER.CO.UK
GUINNESS WORLD RECORD HOLDER
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF MASTER WINDOW CLEANERS.

carpetguy

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 08:54:54 am »
As Terry says, there is no Magic Machine............but there are many good systems and in the hands of SKILLED OPERATORS a portable or O/P machine is capable of equalling or outperforming a T/M.

Most TM owners will dispute this..........but, it's down to two criteria..........the operator and the product being used.............obviously, the correct, or best method of using products is critical.

This is not to say, that T/M's are a waste of money, which they clearly are not.........but, a poor T/M operator and there must be plenty, will not do as good a job, as a dedicated and highly competent, portable, or O/P operator.

Carpet cleaning is no different from the rest of the world, with 80% being average and 20% being, highly competent.................problem is, many assume they are better than they are and others undervalue themselves................but, "  that's life "

Whatever you use, you should always be open to new ideas, or products.

If I was starting out, rather than backing out, I would probably want a powerfull portable, and a Prowler, or similar in the van.

John Kelly

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 09:26:06 am »
The trouble is once you start using a truckmount you become lazy. The thought of having to use a portable fills you with horror. I don't use a portable at all now apart from a small spotting machine for stain work.

ianharper

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 10:04:38 am »
guys

the answer to this question is to use a machine that has the benifits of bith machines.

there are some new machines out now that take the portable to its limits and gives you "some" of the benifit of a TM.

The Eclipse is one. I use it from the back of my van most days and if i wanted to hock it up to a tank and heater. I think that my mantance costs and running costs are lower using this type of machine in the way that i do and with no loss of benifit to my customers.

and at the end of the day its got to be about benifits to the customer. making abusiness competive has to be important. having the high purchase price must affect a business profitability.

You can not say that the US market is the same as the UK we are differant in as much as people in the US spend their money and is looked at a consumer market.

just ask any yank the type of responce they get from yellow pages and then look at the avarage uk responce and you see a differance. that differance is that "passive" advertising link yell means that prospects have to go looking for a service where direct responce advertising like say a leaflet is wher you are talking them into using your services.

In the UK I would bet that most new business comes from direct responce and not passive adverts.

so spending large  amounts of money on equipment takes it away from bottom line or marketing budgets.

why spend more that you need. when you can make the same money spending less

respect to all you TM owners

respect

Ian Harper

Jeremy

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 02:51:42 pm »
For what it's worth.

I decided to give the TM a rest today and went out with the portables. They are probably the least powerful machines on the market in terms of PSI but have a good vacuum. (SEMCA K353)

From watching my senior technician clean with the portables, I am convinced that alot of work can be done with the portables, it just takes a little longer.

I have decided that with the correct technician, you can achieve similar results to the TM if using the correct chemicals and pre-spray.

I have therefore decided that I will not drag the TM out for every job but will evaluate each on its merit.

I need to withdraw a little to concentrate on selling and I won't give my TM to my team Yet!. (Its like my wife).

We do a lot of low income flats. Pre and Post occupation and this allows me to send my team out on their own with the portables.

I am thinking of selling 5 of the K353's and getting 3 upmarket portables.

So to conclude. The TM has its place and wow is it great to work with, but I will never get rid of the portables.

Having said this, If work became really bad and I had to work by myself, then the TM is the only way to go.

Jeremy

Ed Valentine

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 05:17:19 pm »
Gentlemen;

I do not have any figures in front of me at the moment; however, I will only use my 35 years of experience in this Industry regarding my comments.

Who ever  claimed that 94% of the Operators in the US were using (Petro) TM's must surely have blinders on, or it was only a joke.  I would most definitely say that the majority of Professional Operators (those who do this for a living--not including part-timers, btw) are using some sort of Portable system. Furthermore, most are using electric systems.

And, lets not forget that the majority of (Petro) TM users also have some sort of Portable for those high-rise, and or security jobs; or as a back up.

Please note that I have categorized a TM in generic terms: as Petro driven....and not a High-Performance ELECTRIC driven TM/Portable...................................and ANY SYSTEM with 4-wheels as a: Portable.

The very best;
Good Fortune to everyone;
Ed valentine
cross-american corp.

paul wright

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 05:43:03 pm »
most truckmount users who go from portys to truckmount  hav only used very poor spec  portys,  if they knew what u can do with a high spec porty they might hav thought twice before buying a trckmounnt    .    i dont fill with  buckets , i dont empty with buckets,i dont use my own power on machines , i dont use custys water,  it makes as much noise as a petrol tm   ,  and i dont have the extra costs making  my costs a third of a tm , and it heats to steam, my van is half as big, my fuel is half, my insur is half, i can get to were a tm cant get, and it costs a big big less than buying and setting up a tm  ;D

BRSL

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 08:14:16 pm »
Ed Thanks V much for the imput as it's great to get true reports and observations not speculation, btw I forgot to mention that these figures were based on HWE methods by a well known middle of the range supplier, so whats OP  ??? ???

James
W - www.brsl.co.nz
E - james@brsl.co.nz

Kind regards James C

*paul_moss

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 08:34:55 pm »
This conversation always crops up a few times each year.
At the end of the day you pick the machine you want/need to use based on;
cash availible
skill level

As your  business increases you up grade or buy a second machine All the machines out there are good , thats why they are sold in their thousands.
Just pick what you want at the time you need it.
If you do a good job and the customer is happy then end of story  :)
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

Steve Chapman

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007, 08:43:45 pm »
I own both and would say you pretty much need both if you want a rounded out business and would definitley say you can run a successful business with portables and we did for 12 years 8)

That said i did a lounge carpet today ,cleaned / protected and away in 45 mins, i'm sure i couldn't have done that with the porty, and thats why i got the t/m. It's quicker and i'm getting lazy as i get older.

By the way the job total was £75.00 and i was happy with that!

regards
steve

ianharper

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2007, 09:22:53 pm »
carpet doctor

with respect, whatch your times.

let me expalane. i have a maid service and pay and chargew for this service on spec and not time. i explane this to every customer and they know what they are getting, but that does not stop them working what they pay out to the hour.

this is so unfair as they buy the service on spec.

one big problem with us english is that we dont say whats on our minds. you could be walking away from a job and leaving a bad taste in your customers months. because they think they know or they might have had someone else in that did the same as you and toke twice as long.

being quick has it draw backs.

please please dont take this the wrong way i say it because i lbelieve that as long as the jobs good it should not mater how long or for that mater how short of time you take. most prospects would agree at the start but if the job does not meet their expections the thought will go though their minds that it had somthing to do with how long you spent on it.

one good example of this is with upholstery, you know when you have one thats been left for years and the dirt is coving the wear. you clean it and it then show the age and wear that the dirt was hiding. the customer now has upholstery that is showing its age. they are now unhappy that they have to live with this old looking upholstery instead of a what they thought was just dirty.

this is why the "wear age" process works so well when you can explane the differance between a carpet thats 10 years old that has two year wear to one that is two years old with 10 years wear.

link these problems with the fact that with a we dont get time with the customer when you are filling up your bucket with water. that sink side chat goes a long way to them getting to trust us

with respect

Ian Harper

John Kelly

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2007, 09:31:57 pm »
I agree Ian, the sink side chat does have a lot going for it. With a truckmount its usually in and out.

john rees

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2007, 09:40:48 pm »
You could do what I do and employ an assistant, he does all the loading and unloading,not too mention pre-vaccing while I chat and arrange how many sugars we take in our tea! ;D
                             all the best
                                               John
john

mark_roberts

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2007, 10:59:33 pm »
I got a TM because i needed to save time to do more work and i couldnt do that with any portable set-up and believe me I tried.

I think a lot of portable owners cant justify a TM as their business wouldnt support it and therefore praise their suped up portables.  I used to be one of them.

But their comes a time when you need more time to meet the demand for your services.  A TM helps to achieve this.

Theres other benefits as well but for me they are secondary.

Mark

prodry

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2007, 11:27:38 pm »
TM is so much easier and my customers are always impressed with the dry times, results, the size and the nice loud noise of the thing, even bring their small children out so that  they can stare at it running. Recomendations have gone up since i had it and my back is a lot straigther and I am home earlier then ever.

Never used a van mounted porty however, but have lugged Extracta Excel and Ninja around before and never again, I have seen the light and been saved, Halleluhah. I however cant see how a van mounted porty can have the same power as a TM and the thought of running electric cables over the ground from customers house would frighten me. How leagl is this anyway, Is this part of the CE testing of the machines, why dont any of the manafactuers (importers) in this country offer an off the shelf set up for this. I wonder?

As regards TM usage in America, i would say almost all the franchises, including Chemdry over there use them, their department stores such as Sears have them to offer their clients. All the adverts on their local TV progrmes go on about them. A common quote used by many of us is 'Shaw industries largest carpet maker recomends that carpets cleaned by HWE etc' most however miss the second sentence, 'using a truck mounted carpets cleaning machine etc'.

With the cost of current entry level machines such as Prowler or Woodbridge machines I cant see how you could justify a van mount porty. Imitatation however is the sincerest form of flatery i supose. We will all have pedal powered TMs soon, we will have to carry a Polish in the back of the van to pedal the thing.

Ed Valentine would probably disagree with my comments, however lets not forget he is the importer of the Solutions UK range of super powered portys and turkeys don't vote for christmas.

ianharper

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2007, 05:35:46 am »
portables do the job and keep overheads down which in turn increases profit. dont knoe about you but thats why i work. for profit.

plus what extra benifits would a TM give my customers?

is this about what benifits a Tm over a portable give us or our customers. if its us it has to be time and profit and with van mounted portables you get lots more at a lower cost.

you have to be carfull that you dont get cought up in the spin that producers of TM give us.

there is one advantage that a Tm has over my setup and thats hard floors. with the amount of tiled floors it a good income flow, but them the gras  is always greener as they say, how mnay TM owners use their Tm for tiles?

My portabe has 500 psi i know you can get them with more but then you have to compermise on vpick up. so there are limits. just as ther are limits to tms. like porability.

Respect

Ian Harper

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2007, 03:29:06 pm »
well ive been reading many pages on here about whats best a porty a or tm and i had my eyes on a new tm buy the end of the year but after reading all these posts on here i just havnt got a glue  ??? ???

paul wright

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2007, 03:57:39 pm »
buy a truckmount if u getting 10 calls aday and 5 are com jobs, yes it be better , but if u like 99% of carpet cleaners getting couple jobs a day and 99% domestic   then no way  , on domestic jobs  the time, results etc between a petrol tm and a porty tm is very slim , but u earn more with the porty tm hands down,  how do i now?  cause ive bin there   as has mr harper

mark_roberts

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2007, 08:48:24 pm »
The benefit of a TM to the customer is dryer carpet, faster cleaning time, no need to use up their power or hot water and in certain situations cleaner carpet, no need for noisy gear in the house.

Benefit to me is faster job time so more work can be fitted in a day, easier on the back, more money and profit made overall, offers a USP over competition.

You dont need a bigger van SWB would do, in the long run its not that much more expensive than a portable.  In 1.5 years all Ive done is standard servicing around £150.  Using Ninjas Id have gone through two vac motors and maybe a pump which is around £500 in total.

But yes your also right in that if you only do two jobs a day and are home for 2pm then a Tm is not for you but then if you do that then are you really building a business or living a lifestyle??

Mark

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2007, 08:53:46 pm »
I do 99% domestic work, that's what I market for and I have a TM, at £50 a week to run (yes I'm always busy) it's cheaper than what i was paying staff (£260) per week with an electric machine, and I get the same amount of work done and the TM helps sell my services.

Shaun

Len Gribble

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2007, 09:07:36 pm »
Think all but one TMers started with porty, how many up and coming cc buy a porty and fall at the first hurdle, yes some TMers have but cc was not the core business.

Doing some home improvements got an old Stanley plain, went out and brought an electrical one must have knocked of seconds. ;D

Think TM’s in South East London/North Kent area are a total waist of time and money, as you can’t park anywhere!  8)

Ian

Did you get the electrics sorted out or are you still running a gas-guzzler, don’t get many calls for tiles.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2007, 09:09:28 pm »
Hows Len?

Going to the show in Birmingham this year?

Shaun

john rees

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2007, 09:21:15 pm »
I've only taken 4 bookings today for my T/M 1 new customer from the yellow pages wanting her lounge doing, the other 3 all previous customers, a large bridal shop,solicitors offices,and a 94 bedroom nursing home with 6 very large lounges and 3 dining rooms along with 6 300x8  foot corridors, I really wouldnt want to do the nursing home using anything other than a dual wanding T/M. connect the hosepipe to the machine, auto dump to the sewer, set metering and away to go! until the fuel runs out! ;D

all the best
                                  John
john

Len Gribble

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2007, 10:01:56 pm »
Very well thanks Shaun not sure about nec wife wants to fly south to her mates to get warm, cant understand why! Sue has every comfort Vito van with frost control, all sue has to do is turn it up or put another blanket over the machine.

Are you going to the SDO ???

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2007, 10:10:41 pm »
May be. Frost control? give her a slap that'll keep her warm ;D

Shaun

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2007, 06:24:11 pm »
I'm a porty man, but if I had loads of offices and NursingHomes that size there would be no question which machine I would run. Trouble is round here in the Black Country there are loads of estates built in the 60s that have 'walks' with the parking 200 yds away. Its a pain with a porty dragging it to the job but out of reach to a TM.
Trevor
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

john rees

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2007, 09:09:20 am »
In 5 years I've only ever not done 2 jobs with the T/M's  using 300ft of hose,and having the option to carry more if needed. 1 was a 12x12 office in a prison,(where I told them I would do it with a portable if they couldn't get anyone else) the other was a fourth floor flat where the woman decided not to do the whole flat as arranged but only the hallway as she thought the rest of it wasn't too bad after all!  ( I wasn't going to bother taking a portable just for that) as there was not even a lift! Even when I used portables I always parked as close as possible to where we were working for security reasons, so parking the T/M outside the property is not at all differerent to when I used portables.
                         All the best
                                           John
john

carpetguy

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2007, 09:39:20 pm »
The arguments will never go away and recently, the arguments have been more friendly and comstructive, but there will always be some, who will opt for T/M's expecting to increase business, simply through ownership

What's been mentioned above, is the assertion, that no portable machine comes close to T/M 's drying times and that is nonesense.

Someone comments about running cables even questioning the legalityand safety of doing so and scaremainering.

As you are well aware, cables are frequently run across pavements and roads, protected, of course and have been for years, eg, the Bane Clene system.

A powerful twin vac machine with up to 1000 psi will clean and leave carpets as dry as a T/M and just as clean.

Anyway, when did you last use, even 50% of the power available .

As always................it's the person and the products that matter, most.

prodry

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2007, 12:09:15 am »
CarpetGuy

A portable electric unit with two vacs running 150 foot of hose does not compete with the postive vac power of any petrol or diesel t/mount.

Baneclean elec TMs machines also were purpose designed for van mount usage and therefore must have been CE approved for that purpose. They use HD wires, ampmeters on the unit to check the draw, RCDs, waterproof plugs and a different type of vacuum to usual portables.

I was just asking the question how legal it was to run an elec portable as a van mount against what it was designed for. Maybe Mr Valentine or the other Sol. Uk crowd who post on here could answer this question as none have so far, although they seem to jump to defending this setup every time it is mentioned.

mark_roberts

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2007, 03:41:32 pm »
Ive owned 5 different portables and a Bane machine over the years and nothing comes close on drying compared to a TM.  Oh and Ive even had a Savage and Solutions boosters.

There is and always will be a difference in power between an electric machine and a petrol machine.

The difference is speed and drying.

Mark

*paul_moss

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2007, 04:05:28 pm »
Same as Mark
I have just done my first full week with a TM and it is a worl of diffrence in trms of power,speed,heat,drying times.
Really enjoyed my porty days but I wont be going back. 8)
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2007, 05:21:11 pm »
It still can't clean leather though!

Shaun

*paul_moss

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2007, 07:53:05 pm »
No Shaun but neither can you   ;D ;)
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

*paul_moss

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2007, 07:56:09 pm »
Shaun
only joking mate  ;)
Too many Jack D and coke tonight :) :P
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

Len Gribble

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2007, 08:48:15 pm »
Just love drying times argument, ;D not there long enough to find out, but give a ballpark figure, which the customer/wife understands! ???

Why did I buy it? Productivity is the key = what! ;D  Which I will leave to conjecture. ::)

Still maintain my stance (Think TM’s in South East London/North Kent area are a total waist of time and money, as you can’t park anywhere!)

Shaun/Paul

What Leather is it a secret shop  8)

Len

*paul_moss

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2007, 08:52:28 pm »
Len
totally top secret and your too far south to be in the circle ;)
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

carpetguy

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2007, 11:41:32 pm »
Not endorsing any particulat machine, but I'd be surprised if John Bolton ( the man behind the UK version of Ed Valentines Cross American Recoil ) failed to get the relevent spec' for EC requirements.

I know t/m 's have massive power and in theory, should outperform portables.................but, even 8 years ago I believe the CFR, was capable of equalling a t/m's performance, in terms of.............drying times and standard of clean achieved......................but, as always....................only in the right hands, which applies to any system. I owned a 400 psi CFR but, even then, 1000 psi was available.

Len mentions productivity and the American o/p users claim to achieve the highest productivety, but the makers of the Cimex machine, make similar claims.

ianharper

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2007, 12:24:23 pm »
guys

just out of interest has any one dumped a TM for a portable?

I have. had worked with a portable for some time then toke the step to go to TM. hated every day and job heavy hoses higher costs etc.

I think that some might defend Tm but know there drawbacks but would fell silly saying so after spending so much money (respectfully)

the main point here is drying times or so you say but i'll bet its the quick in and out really. that fine if yon dont want to get to know your customers. the sink side chat can tell you lots about why she called you and about any other experiences she had with carpet cleaners, this information is worth the time at the sink.

no mater what you may think your customers think about you being quick, i know that they always look at the time spent on the job to see if they got value for money, not that i take a long time myself but at least i get that few moments to chat.

if your customers know you more they will look at you as their friend in the cleaning business. link this to monthly newsletters and you have started to build a relationship with them.

i good test is if they know your name when you go back (that's if you do) after a year? i have not spoken to some of my maid service clients for years, as i have someone else call them each week, but they know me and my name if i do speak to them on the phone when they call and i answer.

why do i think this? because i cant say that a TM gives anything more to a customer than a portable. so as with all things in life its selfish reasons why people buy TM's.

I say this with total respect to all you TM owners.

my mates guys do seven to eight jobs a day with a portable. and his got a massive customer database and repeat work. two guys working for him. he drives any car wants. and lives on his own farm. all from carpet cleaning with a portable.

Respect

Ian Harper

Phil Marlor

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2007, 12:53:06 pm »
I have no problem with giving out the negetives about TM's, but I still wouldn't go back to Portables.

Negatives are:-

1. 2" vac hose are heavy and are a pain in the rear to keep clean
    during winter.
2. The costs are higher with fuel, however, replacing 2 vacs every
    year used to be expensive.
3. Maintenance is more technical.
4. Can't think of anymore

Also, I always find lots of time to speak to customers. I dont understand why people saying having a TM makes you ignore them. ???

Phil

Stevenage, Herts

LUTON TOWN 3-0 SUNDERLAND

paul wright

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2007, 05:12:07 pm »
hi ian, did u buy the truckmount to use yourself ?

Steve Chapman

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2007, 06:08:01 pm »
The kitchen sink thing is a bit of a misnomer, as i like many still use it to fill prespary bottles etc and have a good old chat with the customer,

and normally i will always go in and have a chat for a while before i start any job :)

You don't really need an excuse to talk do you?

Most of mine off me tea and bickies and we have a good old chinwag, and then book a few more carpets in 8)

So to say having a porty gives you more time for talking is a bit strange ;)

regards
steve

Matt Read

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2007, 07:06:00 pm »
I built my business with portables and think they are great, i finally bought a truckmount after 12 years,last september and it has changed everything for me.

I haven't tried a high end portable,but in my opinion there is no comparison to an average porty, the first carpets i clean in a property are often touch dry before i leave even with no air mover installed.

I don't find it any harder work or longer to set up than the porty , i normally vac and prespray the first room before i set up the tm and being self sufficient with water i carry on through until i've finished.

All the customers are impressed with the setup ,apart from people who are having carpets cleaned for the first time,,,they just think thats how its done ! I've also found i have more time to spend on the difficult stains,my back doesn't ache anymore,and wished i got it years ago .
Matt

paul wright

« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2007, 04:49:31 pm »
id  really like to see a petrol truckmount  up agaisnt a porty tm  just to c what take longers to setup  what takes longer to clean etc  think it be bit eye opener for petrol truck mounters who went from a crapy under powerd porty to ptm

*paul_moss

« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2007, 09:43:34 pm »
Paul
are you talking from experience ? and what is a porty tm
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

John Kelly

« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2007, 09:55:16 pm »
A porty truckmount is a Prowler ;)

steve k

« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2007, 10:37:48 pm »
John,
any further info on the prowler as the info on your site is a bit vague.
What are the benefits for the user and customer of the prowler and its advantages over conventional T/M and portable?

carpetguy

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2007, 11:09:44 pm »
And so it goes on, as it always will. I've read reports on t/m's v's others over some years and the arguments, at the end of the day, are really pointless.

Whether you choose to use t/m's, portables, o/p's, if you are dedicated to high standards and value for money, you will succeed, provided, of course, you deliver the goods.

One thing that puzzles me a bit, is the claim that it's easier on the back, to use a t/m and I can't understand why this should be. I'd have expected exactly the opposite !

*paul_moss

« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2007, 11:10:18 pm »
John what price does the Prowler  retail at ?
Nice piece of kit.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

John Kelly

« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2007, 11:13:12 pm »
Briefly before I retire to bed. The main benefits are the versatility. It can be taken from the van and left on site to run off a hose pipe whilst the van attends other work. If the van or the Prowler breaks down it does not force both off the road, unlike a permanently fixed unit.
It is more powerful than any electrically powered portable. Is capable of pressure washing at up to 2000psi.
It is simple to maintain and parts are inexpensive to replace.
Unfortunately until you've used one it is difficult to appreciate its qualities.
Benefits for the customer are probably quicker drying times however this is a contentious issue.
The main benefit to the user is time.

John Kelly

« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2007, 11:16:03 pm »
The price is £5995 = vat. I think the easier on the back bit comes from not having to drag a machine in and out the van and up steps etc, not the actual wanding. Of course if you have a van mounted porty it is not as much an issue.

*paul_moss

« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2007, 11:25:56 pm »
At that price I would not even consider buying a high powered porty as the Prowler would leave it standing for only a couple of grand more, which if you divide that over the year is nothing.
The power is the same as a entry level truckmount.

I wish this was out a couple of years a go.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

paul wright

« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2007, 03:56:41 am »
more like 4 grand diff,   and how much cost in petrol a year

*paul_moss

« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2007, 07:45:15 pm »
Paul actually the diff between a top porty is 3k and yes plus petrol.
But you have to pay for higher performance, you dont gt it for nought ;) ;)
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2007, 08:48:55 pm »
Paul I heard that you came out years ago!

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2007, 08:31:46 am »
for us a tm would not work parking etc west end is a no no full stop,tm would be lost up there to many parking rules a wardens :P :P Iwould be interested to know with tm,is your work mainly comercial,
and or both :-\
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!

Len Gribble

« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2007, 01:44:56 am »
Terry

Both a School yesterday morning, pub last night/morning (hardly any black top) next job 10 am domestic should finish by 12 as weekend starts.

West end what lovely place? 8)  A definite porty/lm, unless you do it out of parking restriction times sad aren’t I. ;D

Len

spindle

« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2007, 08:25:30 am »
i clean several private members clubs in and around westminster.........with my porty
all must be done after 7pm and finished b4 7am

2 reasons

1. NO PARKING(LEN)......IF YOU DO PARK.£4PH
2. CONGESTION CHARGE £8 PER DAY

and there is a lot less traffic

ps. tms are very nice TOYS
life is one big learning experience!!!!!!!

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2007, 08:47:09 am »
we do not do that much in the west end and we dont want it there,unless it paid
good big bucks ;D there is much work in Essex if you can get it :-\we have ninja
135 psi and want to upgrade to the ninja 400 psi as soon as we can warrant it..
Ashbys are very near to us 8 mls or so,they do us great service and very helpful,
so makes sense to get from them ant probs it is sorted there and then :)
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!

Len Gribble

« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2007, 07:02:19 pm »
Chris

So you noted how efficient the TOY was! ;D

No parking! Try to get dispensation (flood cleanup or in you case fire ;))

Your wand technique needs improving (just an observation) or your back will definitely suffer, next pub with serious black top, you’re on but you must supply you own Zimmer-frame afterwards.

Len

*paul_moss

« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2007, 07:56:30 pm »
Paul I heard that you came out years ago!

Shaun was it your missus that told you  ;)
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

spindle

« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2007, 01:43:40 pm »
len

do you think we could link the frames together?? i know i need improvement!!
my back does ache but not as much as my fingers counting all that CASH!!:)

what day r u doing pub........

am available thurs till 3.........fri all day
 any good to you

ps
ill try to get some more invoices for you........but will get copies this time!!!!
life is one big learning experience!!!!!!!