Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

Re: "Why did you choose us?"
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2011, 08:03:43 pm »
I like it Garry and it's brave of you to put it on your site - but I have to agree with Mike

Peter Sweeney

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2011, 08:40:02 pm »
I guess it comes down to who you are targeting. I think any reasonable person will see the ethos behind it and those who find it off putting will probably be few (imo). I also believe that most would'nt read that far anyway.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2011, 09:20:23 pm »
Years ago Internet customers were the pits wanting cheap and today but like anything else it has evolved although I can see the benefits of the legislation.

Shaun

Paul H

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2011, 08:16:41 am »
Could follow the Royal Marine advert strap line "99% of people need not apply"....or have i got that the wrong way around forCC... ??? ???

wynne jones

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2011, 09:34:14 am »
I think what Garry has done says more about how much he values himself and his time than anything else. People pick that up and if they don't why would you want to work for them?

If you find when you are busy you just keep winning jobs and when you are struggling you can't give it away, there's part of the reason.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Russ Chadd

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2011, 08:14:00 pm »
Does it work or do you still get the odd one or two idiots trying it on?
I love what you have written!

mike ross

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2011, 09:12:40 pm »
Brilliantly put! I thought it was a jerry maguire moment for me chest pushed out head held high. Loved it.

garry22

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2011, 10:03:22 am »
1/ LOL.

This is not compulsory. No-one is twisting any arms here. Nobody has to do this if they do not want or are scared to do it.

2/ Russ, Steve. This week I've quoted three nice (low soiled) offices. Each quote was requested by nice lady office managers who were more interested in their carpets being dry as soon as possible than anything else.

There was another caller who felt the telephone quote was a bit high (fair enough).

There have been no more 10.00 pm "I am wanting you to wash my carpets tomorrow" type calls. There have been no more "I can put a lot of work your way" calls.

3/ Mike, I understand that your geographical position means that most potential customers are within a couple of miles. if mine were then I may do things differently. As I stated before, a quote can often mean a drive of 12 - 20 miles through heavy traffic; effectively 1 1/2 -2 hours of my precious time. How much is that worth?

4/ Wynne, thanks. Spot on. The chap said "if you can afford to turn down the wrong sort of work, you must be good. I'd much rather have you do the job"

5/ I'm getting the impression here that people are not doing any testing with their web pages. How many are using Google website optimiser or rotating pages to test different approaches. Having this stuff on a page is not brave, it's just one more test.

Summing up, it seems to work for me (assuming people read it in the first place).  :D

wynne jones

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2011, 10:23:06 am »
Is this where you got the original idea Garry?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2lfZg-apSA

garry22

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2011, 11:16:05 am »
Love it!

No, but it's given me some great ideas. Maybe a membership site where people have to pay a fee just to enter the site?  ;D

Craigp

« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2011, 01:31:51 pm »
Typo

********Please be put off by the above.**********

Gary I think this is ment to say DON'T be put off!?

Lol ;D

Hilton

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2011, 04:11:22 pm »
Thats what I thought....

Apart from that I think some customs would find it intimidating and be worried about doing something wrong.

garry22

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2011, 06:27:31 pm »
Thanks Craig  :)

garry22

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2011, 06:46:08 pm »
I don't think this is a major issue. Just checked Google Analytics... 254 visits in the last month (230 since this was posted). It would appear that most people take the phone number from the page header instead of that page.

Chris Hawkes

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2011, 12:50:31 pm »
With regard to the comment above about having respect for us and our profession I had to walk today, for the first time, due to the lack of respect the customer was showing me in her words and actions.  (While setting up she had also forgotten to mention the rug and the suite headrests and arms she wanted including in the job)

Hope you don't mind if I borrow and amend your page.

Chris

robert meldrum

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2011, 02:13:13 pm »
This is a scatter gun approach which will turn away a lot more of the clients you REALLY WANT  than win them over to your BONKERS thinking.

ALL prospective customers are looking much the same and it sure as hell doesn't include arrogance or reasons NOT to contact you.

You may get a tiny few who regard your approach as TONGUE IN CHEEK or AMUSING. i reckon 90% or more will find it offensive, or ill mannered, or worse. Problem is................you will NEVER KNOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure your local carpet cleaners will be VERY HAPPY with your approach.

wynne jones

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2011, 02:57:18 pm »
With regard to the comment above about having respect for us and our profession I had to walk today, for the first time, due to the lack of respect the customer was showing me in her words and actions.  (While setting up she had also forgotten to mention the rug and the suite headrests and arms she wanted including in the job)

Hope you don't mind if I borrow and amend your page.

Chris

All I do in these situations is give them the opportunity to have these things done at an extra cost. If I'd walked on every job someone has something 'extra' they didn't mention I'd have lost a lot of business. If they insist you do it for free then that's taking the P and might lead to walking. I quite often do the odd thing extra anyway but not when someone is trying it on. 

Chris Hawkes

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2011, 03:54:16 pm »
Apologies for hijacking the thread for a second but the asking for extras was the least of it Wynne.

It was just a total lack of respect shown towards me.  If I can be bothered to turn up on time, showered and shaved, in a clean van, in uniform with the requisite kit then I believe I deserve to be treated with at least a little respect.  Maybe I'm just a bit sensitive in that respect.

Chris

garry22

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2011, 03:57:52 pm »
i reckon 90% or more will find it offensive, or ill mannered, or worse

Where did that figure come from?

Problem is................you will NEVER KNOW

Err, yes I will actually ... because I test things.

If you like, I could set an exit pop up with a redirect to a questionnaire asking them if they were offended by the comments.

To be honest, I've got sites that make me money online without any physical effort and I'd rather concentrate on those. As Wynne and Edinburgh Tony will agree, it's a lovely feeling to log on first thing in the morning and find you have made money whilst asleep. When that income reaches a certain level I will not be cleaning carpets anymore.

In the meantime, I am not going to wear myself out working for a pittance for scumbags who think I am the lowest of the low because I clean carpets for a living.

We may not agree about the webpage but I hope we can agree on the sentiment above.

robert meldrum

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2011, 04:00:17 pm »
Agree Wynne about doing the odd small add on for free and before some " smart ass " starts bleating about How to run a BUSINESS rather than being a CHARITY I will add that over the past 30 or so years Iv'e GAINED by being generous and accommodating rather than being a " grasping " skinflint.

Chris .......you posted before me

Some imagine that wearing a logo'd shirt, etc gains brownie points..................it does not. Being on time, doing what was expected, showing consideration and being pleasant mannered is ten times more important.