holly

New Year, New Job
« on: December 29, 2007, 05:54:57 pm »
After many many years working as a nurse I have made the decision to totally change direction. I want to work for myself and as I enjoy cleaning and I like physical work I would like to set up a domestic cleaning service. I want to work alone and just concentrate on peoples homes. What I'd like to know is do I need only public liability insurance and is it possible to make a living in this way. By make a living I mean build it up to earn at least £600 per month or am I being unrealistic to think I can do that. I am prepared to work hard both in marketing and cleaning. I have left my job and my savings are enough to last 6 months. I don't feel I've taken a risk because if it came to it I could easily find work again in nursing as I have contacts. I have read all the postings on marketing etc. and plan to start in the new year. Any advice would be welcome

Joe H

Re: New Year, New Job
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 03:39:59 pm »
Hi Holly
You have not indicated in your profile where abouts in the country you are, and that does matter as some areas you will be able to command a higher rate per job then other areas.
You should be able to get £12 per hour and possibly more. So thats 50 hours per month, but that is of course turnover and you may mean £600 wafes in your pocket per month.

Public Liability - I dont think it is mandatory (I'll stand corrected on that) but certainly is a good selling point when advertising or talking to a potential customer. Also good if you forget to turn a bath tap off and leave and the ceiling collapses!

If you are good (and liking cleaning is a good start) then you should be able to expand to the level you want very quickly - people talk if they find something good.
Suggest you get yourself some leaflets done and get them distributed, you can do this yourself if you have no job at the moment.
Local shop windows are good for you too.

Have you decided if you want regular weekly cleans or will you do one offs?
Charge more for one offs.
You may feel the need to do one offs especially as you start up - just to get good turnover.
Also have you decided if you are going to use your own equipment and cleaning fluids, or are you going to use the clients.
I've done both, but prefer to provide my own stuff - you can only blame yourself then if you don't have a good vacuum cleaner (have you tried a Sebo Felix/Dart - brill for houses).

Get yourself some smart work gear - I would suggest not jeans but trousers would look smart, and a tabard to protect you.

Keep all your receipts you spend on stuff  - all business expenses.

Are there any start up grants in your area - would not know where to look myself, but have heared some start up businesses getting £1000 or whatever - not bad if you can get it - worth asking around.

Hope at least some of this will be helpful.

martin19842

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 04:33:07 pm »
hi there

i would nt do anything without public liability insurance, you open yourself to problems otherwise, and when you are presenting to potential clients they should ask for your insurance.

my advice.

start planning now, start to create your marketing, get yourself a website riht now, then submit it to the search engines, even throw some money at pay per click, our website works very well.

you should be able to achieve your £600 earnings level

stay focussed to achieve your goals.

regards

martin

Joe H

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 05:09:14 pm »
Martin, as Holly is planning to work for herself, by herself, and requires less then 20 hours per week work do you think throwing money at website promotion will give good value for money?
All she needs is 5 large houses per week on a regular basis and she is at her requirement, and depending where she lives she could achieve that fairly quickly I would think.
Local advertising, work local, people get to know you, less expense and time travelling around - easy way to do it.

martin19842

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 06:15:27 pm »
hi there Joe

she can do the website herself, get extremely good dealls for hosting, and then get it listed in her local area, through local ads.

therefore not costing much at all,

my website was done in house.

the problem that she will find is that she may well reach capacity or her target very quickly.

but will need to keep a pipeline as customers drop out,

if we are to believe that next year wil be tough economically, private clients may well review where they spend their money.

regards

martin

Joe H

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 06:48:02 pm »
Just looking at your website, looks like you are into many aspects of cleaning.
No doubt you employ more then a few.
So what you say about reports of the economy taking a downturn must be a real concern. Bad enough when thinking just of yourself, but when you have others who are realying on your business for an income must be a bigger worry.
Lets hope the next 12 months and more is not as bad as the "experts" are indicating.

martin19842

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 08:40:25 pm »
hi there,

the business is such that we are adaptable to the changing market.  and using our approved contractors means that we are able to control costs.

the market determines that companies are lean, and professional in the services that they deliver, we strive to provide that.

regards

martin

carpet guy

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 07:41:20 pm »
Holly

A young lady I know, started a cleaning business last year and got £450 for her first job. It was an empty, detached villa and she spent two days, working alone, to complete.

She has since got further work, from the same letting agents 

Joe H

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 02:54:16 pm »
According the the statistics, Holly has not been on line since 08.34pm 29th December. ???
This means we have been talking to ourselves! :)

Gilbert Sprous

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 06:54:50 pm »
I would have to agree with Martin on the website.  If you do it yourself and just do some reading on the internet you can save a bundle.  I have had my site up for a little over a month.  After figuring out exactly PPC works and doing rewording on my ads and making landing pages I have recieved inquiries now that comes to about 50,000 in quotes out.  My total investment in the site has been about 200 GBP. 

If Holly is wanting to stop at the 600 GBP per month then yes I would have to say that referals are probably enough, but if that is what she needs to ensure a start and make ends meet then the web site is a must.

caz16

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 08:30:08 am »
LOL just read the above ! well I hope it answered the origainal question, which happens to be my question.
i am kinda new to being serious, domestic cleaning one man band, wanting to expand more domestic & commercial. word of mouth & recomendation has been the useual but now want more work, quick, & happy to join ships with someone.  seeking advice on best way to get clients. I imagine its flyers, business cards, knocking doors.  bad time to start maybe! recession, but well god loves a tryer & im willing
caz
caz16  :-)