Halfadaylee

Re: gardiners slx 18
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 02:26:14 pm »
I'd be happy with 12 months use out of a pole thats used every day.    I wouldnt be too worried if it only lasted around 6 months either.  I agree with alexs that any poles going to get worn through use.

If you find the SLX too expensive I recommmend the CLX.  Its so good, and so much better value, and you can afford to replace it more often  :)

Fantastic alternative at 18'

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 02:36:03 pm »
Longevity of a pole has more to do with the way it is used, the working environment and the way it is cleaned/maintained/serviced than almost anything else. We have clients who have two year old SLX poles that look barely used and yet they are in use everyday and others with identical poles that are almost worn out in 12 months. The biggest wear factor on any pole is trapped dirt - keep this to a minimum and the pole will last.

Balancing time taken looking after the pole and time using the pole is a personal issue with some clients telling me that they would rather carry out no cleaning/servicing/ maintenance on a pole and replace more often compared to other clients, such as one I was talking to this morning who cleaned out his pole completely every single day - these type of clients have a nearly brand new pole after 2 years.

Balancing weight and durability is always an interesting issue for the manufacturer. All carbon fibre poles wear at much the same rate, but this apparent wear can be slowed down by increasing wall thickness. Downside is this makes the pole a lot heavier and more flexible at full reach. By contrast, reducing wall thickness will make the pole even lighter, but reduces durability. We have spent many years working on this to try and get the best usable balance. It is very easy to engineer a heavy durable pole, it is much more tricky to make it as compact, lightweight and rigid as possible which is what most modern window cleaners are now demanding from their carbon fibre poles.

I have a prototype pole that I am using currently which uses a new high-tec carbon fibre material that has allowed me to reduce the wall thickness of each section to just 0.7mm. This has given me a pole that is 35ft long, only 32mm in diameter and weighs only 1.1kg. This is the lightest telescopic pole I have ever worked with and is quite amazing - however I suspect its durability will be comprised as it will still attract the same level of wear as any other carbon fibre and has a thinner wall. I will work with it for a year or so to allow us to assess aspects of it for future pole technology.

At the end of the day there will be a decision for all clients whether to go for a heavier pole or a lighter pole along with their individual characteristics. The choice will often depend on their personal and business priorities.

firefly123

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2012, 03:27:31 pm »
nwhy after less than a year of use you should not have to change the clamps on pole this does not happen on most hi end tools  that are used in industry  with regards
shiney one

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2012, 05:16:00 pm »
nwhy after less than a year of use you should not have to change the clamps on pole this does not happen on most hi end tools  that are used in industry  with regards

The vast majority of our clients never have to change the clamps. A few do decide to change clamps after a year and get a new lease of life as they are nylon items and do wear with age and use.

Carl@Cwc

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2012, 06:39:49 pm »

The vast majority of our clients never have to change the clamps. A few do decide to change clamps after a year and get a new lease of life as they are nylon items and do wear with age and use.

I changed clamps and didn't get the new lease of life in under 12 months.

traps7

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2012, 06:40:19 pm »
I've replaced a couple of clamps and levers on my 3 year old 25' slx and it's given it a new lease of life. I know it's a pain but I think you've got to take some time out to maintain your pole. It's used so repetitively it will wear.

I agree with clamping in different places whenever possible and also I think people are over tightening the clamp. It only needs to be nipped up to stop the section spinning. It's not like a metal quick release clamp on a bike. But it does need to be adjusted regularly else it will spin causing more wear.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2012, 07:00:29 pm »
nwhy after less than a year of use you should not have to change the clamps on pole this does not happen on most hi end tools  that are used in industry  with regards

I changed clamps and didn't get the new lease of life in under 12 months.

Hi Carl

It does depend on exactly what is 'up' with your pole as to whether changing clamps is of benefit.  If the sections have indeed worn down in localised areas then just changing clamps is not going to remedy this. There are however several other things that can be done to extend the life of the pole considerably - please email me on alex@agardiner.co.uk if you would like to discuss this further.

firefly123

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2012, 07:41:48 pm »
i take great care in cleaning the slx i have every day its cleaned so its appears that the diamiter of the pole thickness could be increased a small bit to compensate for ware and tare and not have to spend lots for new clamps
shiney one

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2012, 08:21:25 pm »
i take great care in cleaning the slx i have every day its cleaned so its appears that the diamiter of the pole thickness could be increased a small bit to compensate for ware and tare and not have to spend lots for new clamps

A lot of our clients do get longer use from the poles before these sort of issues occur - however this does vary depending on the environment they are used in such as sandy or gritty areas, which I believe you have previously posted that you are affected by. The cost of clamps is relatively small when compared to other fittings and tools and realistically it would be rare for someone to need to change more than 1 or 2 clamps on a pole in its life.

As has been mentioned by me previously getting the balance between longevity and usability is quite difficult and something we have been working on for years. We believe that we have the balance about right as is backed up the 1000's of clients who enjoy working with the SL-X range of poles. You mention about increasing the wall thickness of the sections - even just 0.2mm extra in wall thickness would add about 15% to the weight of a pole which would really be noticeable day in and day out using it.

There is still a lot which can be done to dramatically extend the life of your pole, so please feel free to drop me a line on alex@agardiner.co.uk and we can discuss this further.

Mike #1

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2012, 08:33:53 pm »
Totally agree with alex and he has to be commended for taking all the flak on the chin and giving helpful advice and trying his very best to address and resolve peoples issues ,

I use the PTFE spray sold by gardiners and this has been my best buy for maintaining my pole along with all the other things such as cleaning each section every week and clamping in different areas . Mike

dave carroll

« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2012, 01:34:10 am »
 i have recently purchased an slx25, the only problem is that i don't use my 4ft ''down stairs' poles any more. (unless it's a bungalow) therefore it's doing twice the work of my previous 25footer. i too am getting the ''windmill effect'' but so too has EVERY  pole i've ever had, so as said earlyer i clamp at various places.

Dave

AuRavelling79

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2012, 10:15:15 pm »
Dear Alex,

I would like to test your forthcoming poles for you in a real working environment. I will even do this for you at no charge!  ;)

Go on, you know you want to!

Malc
It's a game of three halves!

Tom White

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2012, 10:16:59 pm »
Me too, Alex, I'll give the poles an honest review with video 'n' everything!

Please....   :D