R.W.C.S

Double Yellow Lines
« on: June 06, 2012, 12:14:17 pm »
Picked up a customer on a busy road that has double yellow lines everywhere, you're only allowed to park if you have a residential permit.

It's a large house and I'll be spending half an hour away from my vehicle at the rear of the property.

The question is.... Am i going to get a parking ticket? Should i leave a sign in the window of the van? It's obvious I'm working as I'll have a hose reel at the back of the car.

Does anyone know the laws of what i should do?

rg1

Re: Double Yellow Lines
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 12:34:47 pm »
I would be very careful about parking even if you are working there. I had a ticket in Bromley last year, had a note in the windscreen but still got a ticket. Even tried to contest it with the local council but they upheld it.
The pen is mightier than the sword (and a lot easier to write with!)

R.W.C.S

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 12:44:12 pm »
Thing is it's a £35 house.

Can't really afford to turn it down. :-(

rg1

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 01:23:56 pm »
Then ultimately, it's your decision.
The pen is mightier than the sword (and a lot easier to write with!)

Paul Coleman

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 02:45:03 pm »
Picked up a customer on a busy road that has double yellow lines everywhere, you're only allowed to park if you have a residential permit.

It's a large house and I'll be spending half an hour away from my vehicle at the rear of the property.

The question is.... Am i going to get a parking ticket? Should i leave a sign in the window of the van? It's obvious I'm working as I'll have a hose reel at the back of the car.

Does anyone know the laws of what i should do?

If using WFP, so long as you're not causing a bad obstruction, a reasonable warden might regard it as unloading.  However, there is no guarantee that a warden will be reasonable.
A better solution may be if parking in one of the marked bays will get you close enough to the house.  Property owners in residential permit areas are normally able to obtain visitor permits for anyone visiting them.  Perhaps the customer would be open to buying some visitor permits for you to use? (only residents in the area are allowed to buy these).
In my area it's 20p for two hours on a permit.  Permits may be bought for £2 a book of 10 though I hear it's going up soon.

bobplum

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 04:11:48 pm »
thats why you picked it up :D

Halfadaylee

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 04:16:29 pm »
Can you not get on the drive?
does the householder have or could apply for an extra parking permit?
£35.00 or not it may not be worth the grief.
Art

andyjm1

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 04:44:26 pm »
Round our way you're ok on double yellows as long as your back doors are open and you return to the vehicle every ten minutes. Every traffic warden I have spoken to has confirmed this so it might be an idea to have a chat with a local one, and see where you stand.

paul saunders

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 04:50:50 pm »
A few years ago l was told by a trafic warden that you could park in the residents only area as long as you were working there.
I can remember when waking up stiff in the morning was a good thing.

combat1

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 06:03:38 pm »
My stepmum lives on an estate which has residential permit parking.
If I go to visit her she gives me a visitor pass which covers me parking for the day.
You scratch off the day and date.
It may be worth asking the customer if they have the same system in place.

hydro

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 06:37:51 pm »
we have to stop on double yellows alot and they are very strict on three occations ive been asked to move as not allowed to park i always leave one person by van just incase

Paul H

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 07:36:49 pm »
if the resident is in... they keep an eye out for the warden

if they are not ... they leave you their pass ( under the weely bin or something) and use that when you are cleaning and return it to the secret location when you are done...

take someone with you to sit  in the van....

telll the customer yes you will clean the house..... but parking is an issue and they have one of the options above if they want it cleaned.... or they pay the ticket if you get one ;D

colin purewater

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 07:53:47 pm »
Use a trolley and park round the corner.

I've got a few like this so got a trolley and problem solved
keep it simple

Claudio Orian

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 08:05:27 pm »
ask a neighbour if you could use their drive to park the van (also maybe future custy), or every 5-10 min keep an eye on the van! last week, I was doing the back, when the customer came barefooted saying that 2 traffic wardens are ''checking'' my car ;D !I managed not to get a ticket!

mister bit

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 08:09:43 pm »
Go to the council ask for a traders permit for the day.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 08:24:03 pm »
Use a trolley and park round the corner.

I've got a few like this so got a trolley and problem solved

This.
It's a game of three halves!

SPE

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 11:32:14 am »
I would get in touch with your local councils parking office and ask them what you should do first.

Here in Brighton we have it pretty good in that we get a free "window cleaner on duty" badge that we apply for annually on submission of a current liability insurance document.
I believe this is due to the fact that there is still a local by-law that allows window cleaners and sweeps to park outside the property they are working at.
However the terms now state that we cannot park in resident bays or pay and displays, we are actually advised to park on single and double yellows ! with the town now virtually absent of any free parking this now basically means to legally park I have to park on double yellows on the corner of junctions ! obviously I dont always as I have respect for other road users and pedestrians safety. Most wardens have an ounce of common sense and some discretion about them, more than can be said for brighton and hove city council.
I know none of this helps you, I just wanted a rant because I recently got a ticket for being in a resident bay whilst at the rear of a property. I am appealing it on the grounds of h&s issues and the councils irresponsible advice to park on double yellows on corners of busy junctions. I shall let you know if I'm successful  ;)
Simon

rosskesava

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 11:40:52 am »
Sorry for this being off topic.

SPE - I live in Brighton and have a permit. Fortunately I've never had the slightest problem parking anywhere, parking bays, resident bays, etc.

Before they introduced the permit, as a window cleaner, you could park anywhere you wanted provided you were working within sight of your vehicle.

It may be worth knowing that the by-laws havn't changed one bit.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

AJ

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 11:47:46 am »
Speak to the client and explain. Add it to the bill if and when you get a ticket. If they don't want to do that, I'd leave it. You could end up doing it for nothing

SPE

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 12:38:09 pm »
Sorry for this being off topic.

SPE - I live in Brighton and have a permit. Fortunately I've never had the slightest problem parking anywhere, parking bays, resident bays, etc.

Before they introduced the permit, as a window cleaner, you could park anywhere you wanted provided you were working within sight of your vehicle.

It may be worth knowing that the by-laws havn't changed one bit.
Hi Ross, I was at the bottom of ditchling road on the occasion in question, you were passing and shouted out "you missed a bit "  :D ;D
10 mins later I had packed the hose away and was cleaning at the back.
Thanks for the advice, Yes the by-law hasnt changed but the t&c's on the back of our permits does say we are not permitted in  res or pay bays, I was because I thought it safer to than on the double yellows on that one way obstructing parents and toddlers coming out of the day nursery. and I've stated that in my appeal. To be honest I've never had a problem until now either.
Reckon it was a certain jobsworth who ticketed me anyhow , I'm sure you know who I mean she's well known for it.
Simon

rosskesava

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 12:56:41 pm »
Hi Ross, I was at the bottom of ditchling road on the occasion in question, you were passing and shouted out "you missed a bit "  :D ;D
Thanks for the advice, Yes the by-law hasnt changed but the t&c's on the back of our permits does say we are not permitted in  res or pay bays, I was because I thought it safer to than on the double yellows on that one way obstructing parents and toddlers coming out of the day nursery. and I've stated that in my appeal. To be honest I've never had a problem until now either.
Reckon it was that big blond b$*ch with the glasses who ticketed me anyhow the jobsworth, I'm sure you know who I mean, even her workmates hate her.
Simon

Hi Simon - didn't realise you were SPE. Sorry but I couldn't resist the 'missed a bit'.

The T & C's on the back, most traffic wardens don't seem bothered except for 'her' or rather 'it'. Have you noticed she's slowly getting fatter?

A traffic warden who I see quite often along East Street had the misfortune to be working with her and he reckons she accounts for about 80% of all appeals for tickets issued.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

mlscontractcleaner

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 01:11:05 pm »
I was told by a traffic warden that so long as I was connected to my van, ie, with a hose pipe, I was fine.

In fairness I have never had a ticket from a warden whilst working, except from a stupid car mounted camera, and that was when cleaning council office windows and that was appealed and won.
Come and talk dirty to us!!!

Paul Coleman

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2012, 01:15:02 pm »
Round our way you're ok on double yellows as long as your back doors are open and you return to the vehicle every ten minutes. Every traffic warden I have spoken to has confirmed this so it might be an idea to have a chat with a local one, and see where you stand.

Brilliant.  So you have to risk your equipment being stolen to avoid a parking ticket.

SPE

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2012, 01:39:09 pm »
Hi Ross, I was at the bottom of ditchling road on the occasion in question, you were passing and shouted out "you missed a bit "  :D ;D
Thanks for the advice, Yes the by-law hasnt changed but the t&c's on the back of our permits does say we are not permitted in  res or pay bays, I was because I thought it safer to than on the double yellows on that one way obstructing parents and toddlers coming out of the day nursery. and I've stated that in my appeal. To be honest I've never had a problem until now either.
Reckon it was that big blond b$*ch with the glasses who ticketed me anyhow the jobsworth, I'm sure you know who I mean, even her workmates hate her.
Simon

Hi Simon - didn't realise you were SPE. Sorry but I couldn't resist the 'missed a bit'.

The T & C's on the back, most traffic wardens don't seem bothered except for 'her' or rather 'it'. Have you noticed she's slowly getting fatter?

A traffic warden who I see quite often along East Street had the misfortune to be working with her and he reckons she accounts for about 80% of all appeals for tickets issued.
Hi Ross, rained off as well then  ;)
indeed "IT" does seem to cast a larger shadow these days  ;D
whoever it was even took close up pictures of my permit on the dashboard to prove their point.
Stupid thing is I park this way all day and ask every warden I see if its ok, never a problem, and infact one even told me to appeal it.

R.W.C.S

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2012, 10:38:25 pm »
Thanks for all the advice, it's a terraced house so nobody has a driveway on the whole street. I ended up parking on the double yellows as all the residential parking places were taken.

Left a laminated sign in the van saying "Cleaning in progress - if this vehicle needs to be moved call 07**** ******".

Came back after an hour round the back without any problems. In fact the only problems i had were people asking me if it was ok if they drove over the hose.

I recognise i may get a ticket, but the householder reckons i can park on the slightly bigger pavement (which was being used by a decorator at this cleaning time) next to her house in future. (Which may or may not open a bigger can of worms in terms of street parking).

petemg

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2012, 04:04:25 pm »
hi ya :) i love double yellow lines no one wants to work them , as i am trad i park on a custermers drive a few  streets a way and walk the yellow line route simpels lots of dirty windows for the taking ;).....pete

windowswashed

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2012, 01:27:43 am »
£70 fine for parking on double yellow lines. Had to pay two in one week last month. Paid within 14 days so half price bargain-not.

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2012, 07:43:50 am »
this may have been said and/or abvious but surley you can get  somekind of permit for workiing on double yellows?!?  ???

roundbuilder

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2012, 08:52:48 am »
I would be very careful about parking even if you are working there. I had a ticket in Bromley last year, had a note in the windscreen but still got a ticket. Even tried to contest it with the local council but they upheld it.

I clean loads in beckenham and get done by the automated cameras they have all over the place up there on red routes and double yellows. It's annoying but I have to risk it as work won't do itself. I contest and win every time thankfully but is a headache.

andyM

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2012, 09:12:44 am »
Del boy used to put a "Doctor On Call" sign on the dashboard.  ;)
One of the Plebs

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2012, 10:21:59 am »
Del boy used to put a "Doctor On Call" sign on the dashboard.  ;)
Lol

Griffus

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2012, 10:47:59 am »
Park elsewhere and use a trolley or clean trad.

Traffic Warden will do you regardless.

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2012, 11:43:57 am »
Park elsewhere and use a trolley or clean trad.

Traffic Warden will do you regardless.
of course trolleys and backpacks! forgot about those  ;)