bobby p

a bloke swears he sent me a cheque but i didnt get it. i told him check with his bank but he isnt happy that im asking sour questions at the door instead of the
jokey chat .  i remember last year a newish custy cancelled over a missing cheque
then somebody else said they sent me theirs ,but i didnt get it

these are fairly ordinary people, its about 8 quid each time but im wondering what you guys do?  do you push till they cough up again  or write it off ?

sean84

Re: what to do when custy says they sent the money but i didnt get
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 08:43:07 pm »
Surely they can check to see if you have paid the cheque in?!

bobby p

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 08:47:46 pm »
Surely they can check to see if you have paid the cheque in?!

they can,but i feel they sense a rogue or a potential scam .

its such a fickle trade isnt it , i had a lovely old dear threaten to cancel last week because i am stopping collecting at the door, so i gave in and will collect her cash  at the weekends  if she forgets to leave it out for me

Paul Coleman

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 08:49:16 pm »
a bloke swears he sent me a cheque but i didnt get it. i told him check with his bank but he isnt happy that im asking sour questions at the door instead of the
jokey chat .  i remember last year a newish custy cancelled over a missing cheque

these are fairly ordinary people, its about 8 quid each time but im wondering what you guys do?  do you push till they cough up again  or write it off ?

It's no hardship for them to find out - even if it means them checking the next paper statement (assuming they don't do it online).  All they need to do is cancel the cheque (usually FOC if lost in post) and write out a replacement.

sean84

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 08:49:44 pm »
DUMP  ;)

Rhino dave

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 08:55:54 pm »
AND REPLACE WITH ?

NJWindowCleaning

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 08:57:58 pm »
Stop taken cheques, its cash or standard Order or Bacs and not forgetting good old Paypal,.

Wait another week and if you haven't received it then, call round or leave it to next time and leave an invoice for £16.00 with the date on when you should pay by, like within a week. ;D

G Griffin

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Jackal

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 09:10:03 pm »
i had one today texed him saying can he leave money in usual place as doing his windows today owes me double,so he says no worries dude,did them and only enough for 1 clean (numpty) texed him an hour ago no reply yet,dumped if he dont tex back

SB Cleaning

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 09:28:33 pm »

I have had this happen to me a few times, i just tell them i have not recieved the cheque, they usually check their account and cough up.

As he is getting funny about checking i would say he's trying it on.

Londoner

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 09:34:29 pm »
I have had it a few times too. judging from the type of customer I would say they are genuine. I just wrote it off. One woman recently said the cheque had never been cashed (this is some time later) and paid me anyway for the clean.

If I get it now I just ask them to keep an eye on the cheque to see if it goes in.

Tomboler

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 10:25:44 pm »
AND REPLACE WITH ?

Two.......
better quality jobs....I'm getting the hang of this now!

I'd call to try and collect maybe twice but even if they did cough up I'd still dump them. Life has got to be better without people like this. If they're going to try to duck out of paying 8 quid it's hardly worth bothering with.

king marko

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 10:30:08 pm »
I've had exactly the same problem today - customer phones me moaning I've billed her £24 (£12 for feb) she says she sent a chq and is photocopying and sending me a chq stub to prove it ! I've checked and double checked and I ain't had it so rang her back and asked her when it was cashed - long pause..then "sorry I haven't checked that"  hmmmm ..
Things do get lost in the post love  :)

matthewprice

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 10:34:23 pm »
one of my customers was convinced she paid me then payed the guy who works for m.e .i was definate she was wrong had a look in my santander book there was only one cheque ,told her and asked her to look at her cheque book ,and it showed she only wrote one cheque.easy to forget ;)

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 08:10:21 am »
Always Always Always apportion blame to the undefended.

Not YOU or YOUR CUSTOMER.

Blame the POSTMAN, it has worked without fail for me several times.

bobby p

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 08:47:05 am »
im starting to think it IS  the postman or somebody in the post system.   its easy to work out that im a windie by seeing my van parked outside and then twig it could be window cash coming my way. 

for sure about 4 or 5 cheque/cash items havent made it to me in the last year . a few sometimes send me cash instead of a cheque ,altho i say send only  a cheque i guess its quicker to put cash hidden inside a bit of folded paper

Smudger

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 09:07:56 am »
bobby - if it was a chq i see no problem with the customer checking the account and issueing another
chq. - even if you wait 4 weeks just to allow a statement etc to sent from the bank - if they are being funny over
this i suspect they are short of cash or can no longer afford the service.

on the odd time it's happened to us ( threw chq in bin by mistake  ::) ) customer had no probs doing a new chq.

you only have real probs when it's cash  >:(  - you haven't had it, they say you have - all gets a bit niggly

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

CLEANCARE WC

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 03:15:06 pm »
im starting to think it IS  the postman or somebody in the post system.   its easy to work out that im a windie by seeing my van parked outside and then twig it could be window cash coming my way.  

for sure about 4 or 5 cheque/cash items havent made it to me in the last year . a few sometimes send me cash instead of a cheque ,altho i say send only  a cheque i guess its quicker to put cash hidden inside a bit of folded paper

I get between 10-25 SAE's trickle trough each week, and without fail the corner of at least one  envelope will be torn....

Mine are professionally printed envelopes that say CLEANCARE WINDOW CLEANING then the address underneath.

I have had to have a word with a couple of custys for sending cash. ironically I have never had a customer say they sent cash that i never received  ???
WE CLEAN BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT WITH WATER FED POLE WHEN WORKING AT HEIGHT.

Tom White

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 06:30:33 pm »
I keep a cheque register; it just basic.  I list ALL the cheques I receive on there; Date, name, address, amount - I don't think there's a need to write sort codes or account numbers.

Then when I pay them into the bank, total the list up, write the figure under the amount column and the date you put them in the bank.

In this way I KNOW whether I've received a cheque or not - I don't have to ask a customer to check her/his stub or statements.  It safeguards against receiving a cheque, banking it, and not marking it as paid and asking for payment again.

CLEANCARE WC

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 07:26:29 pm »
I keep a cheque register; it just basic.  I list ALL the cheques I receive on there; Date, name, address, amount - I don't think there's a need to write sort codes or account numbers.

Then when I pay them into the bank, total the list up, write the figure under the amount column and the date you put them in the bank.

In this way I KNOW whether I've received a cheque or not - I don't have to ask a customer to check her/his stub or statements.  It safeguards against receiving a cheque, banking it, and not marking it as paid and asking for payment again.

Your admin background is shining through there, good organisation...

That is definately a level above me at the moment, I got GEORGE a couple of months ago & it really does help with the admin its great.
WE CLEAN BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT WITH WATER FED POLE WHEN WORKING AT HEIGHT.