sean84

SLX vs CLX
« on: March 26, 2012, 04:14:22 pm »
Ive just started using a CLX-27 for the upper windows on my round, at the moment I only have houses with ground floor and 1st floor windows so no experience with 2nd floor windows.

Anyway, I was having a play with the pole at my house just to get use to handling it when fully extended, it seems to be way to floppy and impossible to handle when fully extended is this something I will get used to in time? What I want to know is a SLX pole a lot better as the CLX as Im sure I read somewhere they are a bit stronger when extended?

KINGAKNAA

Re: SLX vs CLX
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 04:18:15 pm »
SLX much more rigid at height, I went back to an 18ft clx to do a gutter clean after using a 25ft SLX normally, I honestly felt that the CLX was going to snap, and that was the 18ft... :o

You can totally tell the difference when you're at an awkward angle, i.e. over a conservatory at say 45 degrees. Great bit of kit. 8)
HOWAY THE LADS!!!!

sean84

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 04:22:46 pm »
SLX much more rigid at height, I went back to an 18ft clx to do a gutter clean after using a 25ft SLX normally, I honestly felt that the CLX was going to snap, and that was the 18ft... :o

You can totally tell the difference when you're at an awkward angle, i.e. over a conservatory at say 45 degrees. Great bit of kit. 8)

Thats what it felt like to me!

Should of put the extra to the SLX, oh well will do me for a while  ;D

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 04:22:55 pm »
The SLX is superior to the CLX. The SLX is more rigid & lighter being FULL carbon, the CLX is 50% carbon.

If you're on a budget, the CLX is a great pole but IMO (& 8 years of wfp) the extra benefits of an SLX outweigh the extra cost 100 times over! A real no brainer! ;)

sean84

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 04:27:00 pm »
Gutted....

Will the CLX-27 do most windows above conservatories? I haven't got any houses like that yet.

Scott Dean

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 05:15:33 pm »
Yeah a 27 foot will give more than enough, I have a clx22 with carbon gooseneck and aquadapter (so 23 1/2ft really) and its more than enough for any domestic but being you have that extra section you'll be able to reach second floor dormas and skylights without to much trouble...

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 05:16:06 pm »
Gutted....

Will the CLX-27 do most windows above conservatories? I haven't got any houses like that yet.

The CLX is probably the best "in-class" pole for what you've spent. It's not a bad pole, that's not what I'm saying.

What I am saying though, is that IMO you must spend when it comes to your pole! Did I like shelling out £1300 or so for a 50 odd foot Xtreme? NO! ;D However, I wouldn't use any other pole above 35ft! I also wouldn't use anything less than an SLX below 35ft.

I would persevere with the CLX for now, then when you upgrade you will really appreciate what you are paying that little extra for! ;)

Lee Burbidge

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 05:31:24 pm »
wouldnt it be great if we could just buy one pole. And then when we need to go higher when we get higher jobs just buy a modular section for a fraction of the cost instead of buying whole new poles?

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 06:17:15 pm »
wouldnt it be great if we could just buy one pole. And then when we need to go higher when we get higher jobs just buy a modular section for a fraction of the cost instead of buying whole new poles?

You can effectively already do this with many different poles on the market by buying extra sections from the retailer.

For instance if you buy an SLX25 and want to go higher you can simply buy extra sections all the way up to 47ft. If you buy a 25ft Xtreme you can simply add extra modules and then modular extensions all the way up to 74ft.

The only thing it is not advisable to do though is to mix types - for instance if you bought a CLX pole and went up to 27ft and the added Super-Max sections all the way up to about 45ft you would have a pole that had far too much flex at high level. Whilst one extra section would be OK 4 extra sections would not be advisable.

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 06:29:08 pm »
Sean, I wouldnt be too gutted mate, you will get use to the handling, i use a clx 22 on a daily basis and it covers 99% of my work, what i find is if you do not extend every section fully it stiffens up the pole. So for example you need to reach over a conservatory, you COULD reach it with 3 sections FULLY extended but you can stiffen (less flex) your pole by 3/4 extending 4 sections to do the job. If you know what i mean  :D
Hope this helps.
By the way, if you think the clx is flexy you want to try some of the other poles in its price range!!!! you will be glad you choose the clx!
Regards
Dave

Window Washers

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 06:33:32 pm »

You can effectively already do this with many different poles on the market by buying extra sections from the retailer.

For instance if you buy an SLX25 and want to go higher you can simply buy extra sections all the way up to 47ft. If you buy a 25ft Xtreme you can simply add extra modules and then modular extensions all the way up to 74ft.

The only thing it is not advisable to do though is to mix types - for instance if you bought a CLX pole and went up to 27ft and the added Super-Max sections all the way up to about 45ft you would have a pole that had far too much flex at high level. Whilst one extra section would be OK 4 extra sections would not be advisable.
now this is interesting   ;D are the slx extra sections all carbon Alex ? and how would one find this on your site to see the price ?
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

KINGAKNAA

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 06:38:56 pm »
I have the slx 25 most recent model, what would I need to extend this?
HOWAY THE LADS!!!!

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 06:40:35 pm »
The SLX sections are all carbon (with a little insulating on the handle sections). All of our poles use the same pole architecture so could technically be mixed and matched - this ability to add sections is also true for many other brands as well (Ionics, X-Tel, Brodex, etc.).

If you click on the pole section on our website, then click on the third option down which say poles spares and sections, then click on CLX, SLX, SMAX & Xtreme Pole Spares, then click on Replacement Pole Sections, then you have our complete selection of pole spare sections with all of the prices.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 06:41:20 pm »
I have the slx 25 most recent model, what would I need to extend this?

You would need a Base section 6 from an SLX30 to extend it by 5ft - it would basically become an SLX30 then.

KINGAKNAA

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 06:42:29 pm »
Just had a look at the site, that's great news Alex, I wasn't aware that was possible...cheers.  ;)
HOWAY THE LADS!!!!

sean84

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 07:01:11 pm »
Sean, I wouldnt be too gutted mate, you will get use to the handling, i use a clx 22 on a daily basis and it covers 99% of my work, what i find is if you do not extend every section fully it stiffens up the pole. So for example you need to reach over a conservatory, you COULD reach it with 3 sections FULLY extended but you can stiffen (less flex) your pole by 3/4 extending 4 sections to do the job. If you know what i mean  :D
Hope this helps.
By the way, if you think the clx is flexy you want to try some of the other poles in its price range!!!! you will be glad you choose the clx!
Regards
Dave

Cheers, good advice there  ;)

Window Washers

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 07:06:37 pm »
for the original poster there is noting wrong with clx at all in time you will get used to it, I use the clx27 for staff poles they are perfectly fine, I could use one all day the bend is no where near as poor as some poles on the market, the slx is very rigid but that comes at a greater cost, I would keep using what you have for now as I think maybe the bend has worried you a little to much, we can have these full extended over a conservatory they do not snap, try to bang a window shut whilst doing this and it would IMO snap but that would be the same for any pole.
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

s.w.c

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 08:27:21 pm »
well here is my two pence worth on the subject.

clx pole is a quality pole for budget pole my mrs uses a clx18 all day long and don't complain, so to me its a very useable pole value for money,

slx is again a quality pole and being carbon it has the rigidity fact going on same clamps as clx but slx is carbon good high quality pole.

but if you can afford it go extreme pole you will never go back not even to the slx ive tried and i cant do it extreme is the platinum pole.

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 11:01:13 pm »
i have both a CLX 22 and an SLX 30.

i use the CLX all the time and the SLX only when i have to.  i am far far happier with my CLX and find the extra whip useful at times.  it also feels like a far lighter pole to me.  i also find the shorter length of the sections a lot easier to clean around the house, as its more manoeuvrable.

even after last week when i had to use my SLX all day everyday, i didn't like it and was happy only when my CLX was repaired again.

iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

KS Cleaning

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 11:22:35 pm »

i use the CLX all the time and the SLX only when i have to.  i am far far happier with my CLX and find the extra whip useful at times.  it also feels like a far lighter pole to me.  i also find the shorter length of the sections a lot easier to clean around the house, as its more manoeuvrable.

even after last week when i had to use my SLX all day everyday, i didn't like it and was happy only when my CLX was repaired again.

Maybe if your CLX and SLX were both 22' you would feel differently Richard.

mikecam

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 11:31:19 pm »

What you got on the end of it?

Window Washers

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2012, 11:59:39 pm »

Richard, slx hands down is a better pole than a clx but with a cost attached, clx are great poles dont get me wrong my guys use these and I did first to see if they where ok (which they are), great pole for employees or people not wanting to shell out for an slx as i understand they are a little more expensive, but clx being better = no chance in a million years

Dylanb

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 12:26:43 am »
I now have a supermax 40 as my only pole.

Bought end caps 4,5,6 and 7 for it so in effect I have an slx20,25,30 & 35 at my disposal.

It spends most of it's time with cap 4 on(slx20)

Amazing pole and gives me so much flexabilty(not in the wobbly sense!).

I have the hose cut at around 25ft, the rest pushes on with a JG coupler when needed.

Mostly use the 10" carbon gooseneck which is amazing. Also got the swivel neck which has made some of my tricky jobs a breeze, its also great for conny roofs

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 07:54:15 am »

Exactly!

I have an Xtreme 48 but much prefer my SLX 25 for domestic work! ::)

p1w1

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2012, 08:21:33 am »
Well ill get slated for this but I personal think the clx is rubbish as already said still way to flexible budget pole or not on the other hand the slx is top class

Paul Coleman

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2012, 09:09:19 am »
My take on it is that you wouldn't expect BMW performance when you've paid for a Ford Fiesta.
Having said that, I have used quite as few different poles from Gardiners and the CLX 27 is fine for most purposes.  It might get a bit whippy at two floors above ground but I find it totally usable.  If using it at an awkward angle, if the full length of the pole is not required, I don't extend the sections out fully.  This counteracts much of the whippy effect - a positive side effect is that it will also possibly increase the pole's lifespan if not clamping on the same part of the section constantly.  It's a pole that will allow my SLX to last much longer.
Also, sometimes the bend in a CLX is actually helpful.  I can think of a few of my jobs where a more rigid pole would make it trickier.  Mainly when bridging over the ridge of wide conservatories.  The bend allows me to access the bottom of a window beyond the ridge more easily.  Also, I have one particularly difficult, very large, job where some windows can only be accessed by sliding the pole between a wide concrete beam and the building.  I need a bit of bend to achieve this (hard to explain but if you saw it you would understand more easily).  A more rigid pole would be a struggle on these windows.
As value for money goes, the CLX 27 is the best I've come across with it's compromise between cost, rigidity/whippiness and general weight.  However, it is a good idea to have an all carbon pole too.

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2012, 07:32:51 pm »

possibly yes.  i'd like the chance to compare like for like.  not going to pay the extra for that privilege though!
iSparkle Window Cleaning

CLEANCARE WC

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2012, 07:37:04 pm »

SNAP! I have the same poles but as KS says I would love a SLX22...Next purchase I think.
WE CLEAN BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT WITH WATER FED POLE WHEN WORKING AT HEIGHT.

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2012, 08:19:57 pm »

SNAP! I have the same poles but as KS says I would love a SLX22...Next purchase I think.

Just remove one or two base sections from the 30ft SLX. ;)

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2012, 08:23:10 pm »

i would but i cant do without my longer pole for a day!  maybe bob will lend me his and i can pull that apart  ;)
iSparkle Window Cleaning

CLEANCARE WC

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2012, 08:44:48 pm »

i would but i cant do without my longer pole for a day!  maybe bob will lend me his and i can pull that apart  ;)

Yeh same situation as Richard Winpro, need the bigger pole on too much of a regular basis to be messing about like that....Basically I want a SLX22  ;D
WE CLEAN BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT WITH WATER FED POLE WHEN WORKING AT HEIGHT.

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2012, 10:19:54 am »
i was about to buy a clx - but i may plumb for the slx now...

we shall see!

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2012, 04:41:08 pm »
I understand people are on a budget, but I've had my SL-X for 4 years now, I use it for 99% or more of my work. It's still going strong. Multiply your yearly turnover by 4 or 5 and you'll see that the cost of a pole is insignificant. Stronger, lighter, faster, SL-X.

( My word, I should work for Gardiner Pole Systems marketing dept.  :D )