hydro

wfp no good!
« on: January 18, 2012, 06:11:12 pm »
had a customer ring up today to cancel as she has had to have a couple of units replaced and the window fitter apparently told her that the wfp doesnt do her leaded windows any good and might be to blame! i was fuming when i came off the phone i told her that it wasnt possible and that ive never had any probs before with any other customers in the past just wanted to know what your views was and if i should pursue the window fitting company for it in writing ?
many thanks

Window Washers

Re: wfp no good!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 06:12:33 pm »
had a customer ring up today to cancel as she has had to have a couple of units replaced and the window fitter apparently told her that the wfp doesnt do her leaded windows any good and might be to blame! i was fuming when i came off the phone i told her that it wasnt possible and that ive never had any probs before with any other customers in the past just wanted to know what your views was and if i should pursue the window fitting company for it in writing ?
many thanks
wfp screws up the lead on windows, if you don't clean them correctly
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

hydro

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 06:40:18 pm »
ive never had any problems with cleaning leaded windows before ive been doing this job now for a good few years but still cant see how a fitting company has the right to say wfp is no good for your windows  :-\

Dougaldum

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 06:41:22 pm »
many thanks

how do you know this explain please ???

Window Washers

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 06:45:01 pm »
many thanks

how do you know this explain please ???
the lead will crease, crack then break if you are heavey handed and scrub to hard.

you go with the lead not against it, you will know what that means when you try it if it goes over smooth you will not damage it, do it the other way so is feels like it is scrubbing it is asking from trouble.

Hope that helps
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

sean84

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 06:45:32 pm »
many thanks

So what has actually happened to the lead?

hydro

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 06:52:12 pm »
im going to go and see her tomorrow and find out more but from what she said was that the seal had gone in the window and that was why they were being replaced!  :-\

Window Washers

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 06:54:39 pm »
im going to go and see her tomorrow and find out more but from what she said was that the seal had gone in the window and that was why they were being replaced!  :-\
if that is the case, note to her that the seal on the glass in inside the frame and is not touched by you, it will be faulty workman ship on the glass company or the installer, I had to fit and refit about 100 windows on a block of flats we clean a few years back, and it is shocking what some of the fitter do to pack the windows (glass) in the frame

andyjm1

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 06:56:18 pm »
I once cleaned a house wfp where all the lead was coming away, with bits of it already missing. Doing the job just made it worse and we only did a couple of cleans before the customer cancelled.

However, do loads of others now with leaded windows and never had any problems, so I suppose it depends on how old the windows are and how well the lead has been stuck on.

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 06:56:28 pm »
A seal can be "blown" but not be apparent untill certain things happen. In my experience two things are cold water washing hot, sun-baked glass & warm/hot water washing very cold glass.

The difference in temperatures must cause the condensation.

Window Washers

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 06:56:38 pm »
ive never had any problems with cleaning leaded windows before ive been doing this job now for a good few years but still cant see how a fitting company has the right to say wfp is no good for your windows  :-\
also find out who the fitting company is, either call them and speak to the owner and ask why thier staff are giving out incorrect information. Where are you based ?

Window Washers

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 06:57:48 pm »
A seal can be "blown" but not be apparent untill certain things happen. In my experience two things are cold water washing hot, sun-baked glass & warm/hot water washing very cold glass.

so are you saying/thinking that the wfp is the problem here ? as thats a good debating point

hydro

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 06:59:23 pm »
ive always said to the customer that its the weather that does the seals on them by the hot n cold weather and where the sun is on the windows alot too.

hydro

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 07:01:17 pm »
i dont think the wfp is the problem at all im just abit angry at the fitter saying it was when ive never had and problems in all the years ive done this job

hydro

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 07:01:52 pm »
sorry im based in west mids

Window Washers

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 07:04:11 pm »
i dont think the wfp is the problem at all im just abit angry at the fitter saying it was when ive never had and problems in all the years ive done this job
call the company, I would and I would explain that to the customer

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 08:15:10 pm »

so are you saying/thinking that the wfp is the problem here ? as thats a good debating point

No, but in certain circumstances wfp can make visually apparent an already blown seal.

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 08:28:49 pm »
Interesting thread.

For the above comment, couldnt wfp also make blown windows worse then, if we wash it with cold water in the hot sun, or vise versa?

Ive wondered, and been meaning to ask on here, if it causes marks from the lead to run, ive seen several marks where the lead has marked the window, and wondered whether thats going to happen anyway, or whether the pure water causes it to tarnise the glass more.

Window Washers

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 09:36:51 pm »
Interesting thread.

For the above comment, couldnt wfp also make blown windows worse then, if we wash it with cold water in the hot sun, or vise versa?

Ive wondered, and been meaning to ask on here, if it causes marks from the lead to run, ive seen several marks where the lead has marked the window, and wondered whether thats going to happen anyway, or whether the pure water causes it to tarnise the glass more.
the lead should have a coating on it to stop this from happening, my guess would be this is not on there it is like a varnish.

Agree winp@o about the water making them look worse on blown seals, but this also happens in the rain, once its blown its blown I sell them a service for this to replace the glass  ;D

P @ F

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 09:45:37 pm »
I bet a pound to a pinch of poop that it was ANGLIAN , Had the same happen to me  a while back , south facing house , all the units started to go one by one , no matter what the season they still went , yet the rear windows never broke a sweat HMMMM, LITTLE DODGEY THAT .

My old man has had the same ANGLIAN units in his south facing house for 20 years , 7 of those done by wfp method , still not a single bit of condensation in sight , Anglian cut costs and went for inferior units , simple as that , costs had to be cut cos they ran out of custies , its the same as the roofers these days , nowhere near as much work out there being as the jobs were done a lot better after the storms of 89 , fact from a custie roofer !

Rich
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !