LHill

Re: Commercial work
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 08:24:34 pm »
I don't care much for local shop windows not only is there a lot of nationals doing them but also... i'll leave it to the good old boys "2 bob a job".

There's still plenty of small/mid size buildings that aren't national that are worth going after.

LHill

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 08:27:20 pm »
Would it bot be an idea for some of the smaller companies and one man bands to tie into each other and start up an umbrella company to take on the nationals

I think it's not so much of writing 10,000 cheques each day, but if something goes wrong who to point the finger at.

bobby p

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 08:33:17 pm »
anybody know these big boys in person? where do they live ?  do some work like a mafia

Pope vader

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 08:34:10 pm »
dont bother with commercial,  get a well paid domestic  leave the idiots to do commercial,  unless you want to wait 30 days to get paid, plus waiting for cheque,  i give most of my commercial back or away, as can earn more on domestic

Rob_Mac

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 04:18:42 pm »
My work is with large commercials and it is an absolute nightmare to get into. We had an excellent website at a time when someone was looking for pressure washers in Stoke on Trent, they put the search in and I got a life changing call.

Yes it is very much worth getting into large commercial works (of any description), look at Charlie Price, there are many others on here, they just don't shout about it but there is a lot of waiting and messing around for money.

I am owed a lot of money and it is all overdue but it is worth the hassle.

I finished my final job of the year this morning, in London and am now going on holiday on Tuesday and starting again sometime at the end of january.

I have things going on that are quite staggering and I wonder what I have done right.

There is no formula other than being in the right place at the right time but you can help yourself along by having the best website, a uniform, a sign written van and offer the best service in your area.

Good luck

Rob ;D

Catherine10

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2011, 07:06:34 pm »
Its really a question of getting on the phone, doing some poking around, finding out names, sending emails - would do stuff though that decision is made at local level to start off with.

j.v. price ltd

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 08:11:09 pm »
My work is with large commercials and it is an absolute nightmare to get into. We had an excellent website at a time when someone was looking for pressure washers in Stoke on Trent, they put the search in and I got a life changing call.

Yes it is very much worth getting into large commercial works (of any description), look at Charlie Price, there are many others on here, they just don't shout about it but there is a lot of waiting and messing around for money.

I am owed a lot of money and it is all overdue but it is worth the hassle.

I finished my final job of the year this morning, in London and am now going on holiday on Tuesday and starting again sometime at the end of january.

I have things going on that are quite staggering and I wonder what I have done right.

There is no formula other than being in the right place at the right time but you can help yourself along by having the best website, a uniform, a sign written van and offer the best service in your area.

Good luck

Rob ;D

Cheeky

j.v. price ltd

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2011, 08:12:30 pm »
Hi guys,can anyone tell me the best trusted method to get a small amount of commercial work,I have tried canvassing and a couple of mail shots but no look as yet,I managed to get one quote into a sainsburys local and I know I was the 1st in with a quote, I put in a welcome letter,printed quote and a site specific risk assessment/method statement, it did look quite professional but nothing back so think I may have been undercut,I quoted £25 for inside and out at a time that suits them on a weekly clean-any advice please

Keep doing this it takes time but works in the end

Catherine10

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2011, 08:45:51 pm »
You need direct contact OP, make a phone call first, get the decision makers name and then mail him/her.  Always a good idea on your travels to make a list of the buildings you see.  Unless you want to go the route of buying in data.

dazmond

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2011, 08:59:52 pm »
I have a small amount of commercial all through recomendation.no national stuff.holiday park,offices,private childrens home and nurseries.even got a narrowboat clubhouse!good jobs and most pay on the day. ;D

Domestic is king for me though.good reliable income! ;D
price higher/work harder!

Rob_Mac

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2011, 09:30:42 pm »
Charlie

The inference was more to do with people who have made a success from commercially based operations, certainly not shouting about it ;).

Asked Huw for your number yesterday for some works we got put onto us, in Beckton, a full roof clean but you were off jollying around Europe!!!!

Sorted now, next time you go past the Sainsbury's on the A13 check the roof out!

Rob ;D

mlscontractcleaner

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2011, 10:42:23 pm »
I think they would want a little more than just a risk assessment/method statement.

Lets face it 99% of us are coyboys and that's why we don't get commercial work.

Sure we can clean windows but can we do it safely, probably not!

There is a lot of law involved with commercial cleaning and it's isn't all about WAHR 2005 which is the only legislations I see posted on here.

I'm currently doing the impact43 training course and after someone posted "who ever goes on these course are MUGS!" (It just reminds me of the "mugs" I've worked for, and the "mug" I've been for working for them).

The impact43 course has definitely push me in the right direction and will help with the way I run my business, and without a doubt gain more work from it.

In more than twenty years I have never ever been asked for any sort of risk assessment, and only once to show my insurance details. That includes working for local housing associations, large chain stores and property management companies.

Not saying it'll never happen but it hasn't yet.
Come and talk dirty to us!!!

mark dew

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2011, 11:47:25 pm »
Hi guys,can anyone tell me the best trusted method to get a small amount of commercial work,I have tried canvassing and a couple of mail shots but no look as yet,I managed to get one quote into a sainsburys local and I know I was the 1st in with a quote, I put in a welcome letter,printed quote and a site specific risk assessment/method statement, it did look quite professional but nothing back so think I may have been undercut,I quoted £25 for inside and out at a time that suits them on a weekly clean-any advice please

Get a free listing on yell.com.

I've picked up a bit of commercial work on there and quoted several more.
I also sub for a commercial cleaning company, but i quote the job and they add their bit to my quote. I don't have regular work with them, but over the year is about £2k worth. I don't wait more than 2 weeks to get paid. It was a cheque immediately but they have switched to bacs payment now.
Don't bother seeking high st work. Unless you have most of it, it isn't worth the time it takes to write the invoice.
But yell.com will get you some calls over time.