G Griffin

Re: Had a fall...can I still work?
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2010, 07:56:23 pm »
You may struggle wfp with a cracked rib.
 Work if you can or just trad downstairs. But don`t if you have a sick note  :-X  

Ps. what you doing in the pub if you`re skint  :)
Smart arse! I had a few quid to take my daughter out today, but not needed now!

Anyway, i only had 3 pints and two of them were bought me, so I spent a grand total of £2.50. ;D
Tight arse!  ;D
   If the forecast is right then you wouldn`t have done much next week anyway. At least now you some sick pay. Get a note for next week and go sick for last week too. You don`t need a note for your first week but don`t get as much.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

rz

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2010, 08:11:10 pm »
bugger :'(

get well soon rog

matt

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2010, 08:11:10 pm »
You may struggle wfp with a cracked rib.
 Work if you can or just trad downstairs. But don`t if you have a sick note  :-X  

Ps. what you doing in the pub if you`re skint  :)
Smart arse! I had a few quid to take my daughter out today, but not needed now!

Anyway, i only had 3 pints and two of them were bought me, so I spent a grand total of £2.50. ;D
Tight arse!  ;D
   If the forecast is right then you wouldn`t have done much next week anyway. At least now you some sick pay. Get a note for next week and go sick for last week too. You don`t a note for your first week but don`t get as much.

good call

a few quid on SSP benefit

as you are not going to be working, might aswell have a few quid

Mr T

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2010, 08:18:15 pm »

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2010, 08:23:01 pm »
Could of been worse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nteMp3OQu98
That isn't worse, that's exactly how I fell!

I was knocked funny for a few seconds, but I was determined to stay concious. Glad I wasn't knocked out...Down an alleyway at midnight on the ice in -6c! Doesn't bear thinking about. :-\

gewindows

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2010, 08:26:09 pm »
The plot thickens  ;D

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2010, 08:55:12 pm »
Rog

I broke my shoulder about 7 weeks ago, the timing couldnt of been worse, 2 of my guys were just about to take 2 weeks holiday, I was already behind and was about to start a big contract, all that with Christmas and the bad weather looming.

the bone i broke has a chest muscle attached and where part of the Bicep attaches, It is extremely painfull and I can't get a wink of sleep with it.

Bottom line is, I have had to struggle on with work with it, I resorted to one handed or putting the pole over my shoulder and supporting against my neck, It was really awkward and painful, but I didnt have much choice.

Getting the ladders off the van was a real trauma, as i couldnt raise my right arm at all, I had to put scrim cloths on my roof and just slide the ladders down one handed.

Just had another x-ray on monday and the bone still has not fused yet, but it is looking better than it was.

Where there's a will there is way.

Tosh

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2010, 09:15:24 pm »
That's not good news, Rog, sorry fella.

Just keep in mind that this run of bad luck will pass; the weather and your ribs will sort themselves out. 

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2010, 09:27:21 pm »
Cheers guys.

Not the easiest of times!

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2010, 09:32:43 pm »
hope you get over it soon squeaky i once broke a rib playing football and it can be painful at times but did manage to work .
where theres muck theres money

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2010, 10:00:43 pm »
Well i think you take more than your fair share of teasing, probably to do with what was called the chepstoe four etc.But there has always been an underlying pattern to your posting, and this is that through mishap and calamity you are always driven much against your better judgement to improve yourself. A bit like an accident not so much waiting to happen, as waiting to make a lot of money.You are the eddie the eagle of window cleaning, no matter how hapless you might appear,fortune, eventually will always shine on you.

You aren't the brain of Britian, and probably still loaf about in the caff' half the day, but you do seem to have a good business. The guys this time are telling you to employ and i think they're right.You need another reel and a pump, and of course the right guy.

It's pretty obvious you don't want to do this and think it's impossible.But didn't you think wfp was out of the question?Wasn't a new van only for mugs? And signwriting it even dafter?

Go on, do something else that you think is against common sense, and make your business even better.

scud

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2010, 10:24:19 pm »
  I know the pain you are feeling Roger, I did 7 ribs in one go a good few years ago in a motocross accident - them bikes are heavy when they land on you from 6ft up!

Rest while the weather is bad and then grin and bear it!

tacky

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2010, 10:29:09 pm »
that was a bit harsh slumbuster .

mark dew

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2010, 10:39:56 pm »
roger dave st ives advice is probably your best way, though he broke a shoulder which i think is more restrictive to work with.
Only you know what you can do when you try and your kit is top end anyway so i reckon you've a good chance of doing something. The key i think is to try to work without lifting your arms and the only way you can do that is to wfp the 'proper way.' Remember the posts on here years ago about supporting the pole with the cup of your hand and walking forwards and backwards to get the up and down stroke?
Well that's gonna be the best way of earning cash (apart from getting your camera out). Avoid usg side to side strokes and cup the end of the pole around where it looks like you are cupping your balls. That way i reckon you could earn well, with less pain.

cozy

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2010, 10:51:39 pm »
Squeaky, we haven’t really got on that well on here. We have often had different opinions and views about nearly everything. Having said that, I don’t really dislike you Roger, just don’t agree with most of what you post.

If you have been reading a lot of what has been posted on this part of the forum lately, we have quite a lot of first year guys, who haven’t had time to put money away for times like these, as they have been lucky to earn enough while building a round / business for gods sake.

I’m not having a bash at you for the fun of it, although I have done in the past, but having been in this game for as long as you have you should have known that tough times come to all of us. It’s a wonder that some guys haven’t really told you this before, but someone who says he can’t pay his tax bill, or is really deep in trouble with money, doesn’t spend his cash down the boozer.

I don’t know anyone that would buy designer T-shirts and take out “fit birds” when they can’t afford to pay the rent  / mortgage. If I did meet someone like that, and had to listen to them bleating about not being able to earn enough to live, I would most likely advise them to set their priorities correctly.

Another point that needs making Roger is, if I had a medical problem, I wouldn’t advise anyone to ask a window cleaner for advice about it. I would rather get my medical advice from a doctor, after all, don’t you have the NHS over there?

It all smacks of sympathy fishing really. Get a grip, go and see your doctor and take Slumpbusters advice and plan better as a small business owner or employ someone. By employ someone, I mean someone to clean windows for you, or someone to give you sympathy.

By the way, in my experience, a busted rib can take upto 8 weeks or longer to stop really hurting, bite the bullet, or sort out your problems, like the rest of us do.

By the way, I don’t really care what people think of me for saying all this Roger., but I felt it needed saying.

After all, it's not the first time this week that you have posted for a sympathy vote is it?

trevor perry

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2010, 12:16:33 am »
the only advice i can give as i have worked with a broken rib is to bandage your chest up tight to restrict any unecassary movement it is still painful to work like this but not as painful as not being strapped up, hope it gets well soon squeeky.
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

cockney rebel

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2010, 01:07:38 am »
Get well soon. ;D

wizard

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2010, 06:10:33 am »
That a prang in March, The air bage bag ihit chest so hard broke a few ribs ,Mate its not nice. I worked but it was very painfull and it took a long time to heals. Hope you repair soon.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2010, 09:13:09 am »
There are some really harsh replies here,.. I know you're all gits, but but is it really necessary?!

Anyone can have a bad run of things, sickness, vehicle trouble, personal issues etc,.. the emergency fund can disappear on silly little things like rent & food,.. and through no fault of your own you find yourself stuck, unable to work & stone broke. It can happen to ANYONE, no matter how well prepared.

When it does happen, shouldn't we be helping & encouraging instead of kicking him when he's down?!!

For what its worth Rog, after consulting a doctor of course, I'd be getting some strong pain killers and doing my best to work short days, maybe only 4 hours a day with a long lunch break in the middle, but it'd keep some money coming in and keep most of the custies happy. Maybe even  work a couple of hours on a saturday to make up for a bit of what you miss during the week?
Its going to be very sore for a while, but most (Not all, check with your doctor) injuries actually heal faster & better with regular light exercise. I'd also consider taking on a part timer to help out on any higher work and also as a source of motivation. I know if I've a worker arranged to meet me at a certain time it forces me to get in gear and get out when I otherwise might make excuses.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2010, 09:17:54 am »
Squeaky, we haven’t really got on that well on here. We have often had different opinions and views about nearly everything. Having said that, I don’t really dislike you Roger, just don’t agree with most of what you post.

If you have been reading a lot of what has been posted on this part of the forum lately, we have quite a lot of first year guys, who haven’t had time to put money away for times like these, as they have been lucky to earn enough while building a round / business for gods sake.

I’m not having a bash at you for the fun of it, although I have done in the past, but having been in this game for as long as you have you should have known that tough times come to all of us. It’s a wonder that some guys haven’t really told you this before, but someone who says he can’t pay his tax bill, or is really deep in trouble with money, doesn’t spend his cash down the boozer.

I don’t know anyone that would buy designer T-shirts and take out “fit birds” when they can’t afford to pay the rent  / mortgage. If I did meet someone like that, and had to listen to them bleating about not being able to earn enough to live, I would most likely advise them to set their priorities correctly.

Another point that needs making Roger is, if I had a medical problem, I wouldn’t advise anyone to ask a window cleaner for advice about it. I would rather get my medical advice from a doctor, after all, don’t you have the NHS over there?

It all smacks of sympathy fishing really. Get a grip, go and see your doctor and take Slumpbusters advice and plan better as a small business owner or employ someone. By employ someone, I mean someone to clean windows for you, or someone to give you sympathy.

By the way, in my experience, a busted rib can take upto 8 weeks or longer to stop really hurting, bite the bullet, or sort out your problems, like the rest of us do.

By the way, I don’t really care what people think of me for saying all this Roger., but I felt it needed saying.

After all, it's not the first time this week that you have posted for a sympathy vote is it?

Is that a -Gaby- or a Cozy post, I had a very similar attack from Gaby with the same ip address, you are either the same person or you both have the same attitude towards people and write in exactly the same way.

Surely You both can't have this fiery up and at them attitude or can you ?