tomo

Not what i wanted to see!!!!!
« on: December 22, 2009, 07:35:08 pm »
Today me and a friend managed to work. it was a pretty average day on  the snow  compacted roads leading into peoples housing estates no wheel spinning or sliding until the afternoon!!

we pulled up onto a hill not really steep but somethinmg we drove up with ease without sliding etc. i parked the van and went to call to the lad working with me when something caught my eye i turned around to see my van in all its logo'd glory sliding towards me!!!! it definitly had the hand brake on i could see the back wheels gliding over the snow i managed to get in and start the engine but if i'd gone round the back of the house i dare to think what might have happened, the delivery man in a white van said his van and slid 10 mtrs down the road before he noticed as he was  accepting a signature from a customer,  . i guess lucky escape phew!! ;D ;D anyone had similar ?

Spruce

Re: Not what i wanted to see!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 07:43:07 pm »
No thank goodness,

but this will remind us to be more careful in this weather. In America you apparently can get 'done' if you don't point your front wheels into the kerb when you park. We are not required to do it here, but maybe we should.

Spruce
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 07:43:43 pm »
was the van left in gear?
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

tomo

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 07:48:44 pm »
i saw same delivery man parked down the way with his wheels turned into the curb this time  :o no van wasnt in gear but i do have a good handbrake,  : but the wheels were sliding ontop of the snow like a sledge scary !!

TonyD

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 10:54:59 am »
No thank goodness,

but this will remind us to be more careful in this weather. In America you apparently can get 'done' if you don't point your front wheels into the kerb when you park. We are not required to do it here, but maybe we should.

Spruce

That's something everyone should have been taught by their driving instructor, I was.  But like you say if it was law it'd save a lot of problems.

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 10:59:25 am »
Good God, just goes to show how dangerous it can be.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 05:37:01 pm »
I was driving home earlier this afternoon in the family car and got to within half a mile of my house on a well treated road when a Lexus slid down a drive and about half way across my side of the road. In the back was an old chap and I got out and slid it back so that it was just across the pavement and it's wheels in the gutter.

He was a bit bewildered and I went to the house to tell the driver (the old boy's son) that his car and dad were half way across the pavement and the guy's jaw dropped.

Poor chap had gone back to the house to walk his elderly mother to the car and had left his dad in the back and when his back was turned the car slid down the drive!

:o
It's a game of three halves!

Window Washers

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 06:49:16 pm »
I saw a blind lady this morning trying to cross the road with her guide dog, every one in front just drove past down this road in a back street ice everywhere all were going no more than 5 miles an hour.
being a good natured person I stopped my van as i turned in the road making the other cars stop , and helped the lady cross safely.
it took 2 mins, it annoys me that other people these days just think about themselves without a thought for others. I also got 2 customers out of it which was a result, they stopped me when cleaning down the raod saying they saw me help the lady across the road.  ;D
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)