colley614

guys with uniforms.
« on: May 08, 2008, 06:18:30 pm »
Do any of you guys with uniforms wear shorts. Just wondering because last summer I wore jeans with my company t-shirt but I don't fancy the same again this year. Any suggestions?

alanwilson

Re: guys with uniforms.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 06:40:34 pm »
no, we wear trousers all year round - you can get some really light, breathable trousers.
I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!

pingu

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 06:42:44 pm »
I wear shorts....and why not...postie's do..I have Navy blue shorts which are like cutdown combat trousers...they look smart...

And when the weather is like this why not...if I were to be cleaning insides of commercial I would then wear trousers but in this weather...why not?

Dave.

George P

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 06:46:49 pm »
if doing domestic then i would say its ok but not on commercial, a few years ago a very good commercial client made a polite remark about wearing shorts, something on the lines of - i understand the need to wear shorts but i have clients coming here and it doesnt look very proffessional, most clients wont tell you, i perssoneely thought we looked allright and if it came from someone else a may not have took too much notice,

colley614

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 06:47:30 pm »
Yeah, shorts cause a foot wear problem for me. A business adviser told me to issue people steal toe capped boots with ankle support for climbing ladders and I can't see how boots and shorts would work.

Trousers are a good suggestion, I'll pop into my local work wear store and see what they sell. Also at the moment I'm wearing black t-shirts. I thought black because you can't see dirt on you stomach as my old firm wore blue and we used to have gray stomachs if we leaned on things. Plus I find lads dry their hands on their stomachs while they are working and they get scrim marks on their shoulders. I might change over to green t-shirts and see how it goes. 

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 06:48:25 pm »
We wear dark shorts just below the knee with loads of pockets in, with company tops.

As said post men use them, as long as the are not bright Pink (dave st.ives wife is allowed as she has matching hat and boots if I remember)
Jokes aside, smart shorts look professional.

Ian

pingu

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 06:52:50 pm »
I wear shorts with my boots....yes you're right they do look a tad odd...I'm only a ;D ;D  shorty anyhow...but hey it's summer and I like to wear shorts...

colley614

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 06:54:24 pm »
What footwear do you guys wear with shorts?

My main problem is that a lot of my work is offices. today I did 4 offices. I've got one tomorrow and I really need an alternative to jeans. Last year I was saving every penny but I don't mind spending a bit more on kit this year.

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 06:57:00 pm »
What footwear do you guys wear with shorts?

My main problem is that a lot of my work is offices. today I did 4 offices. I've got one tomorrow and I really need an alternative to jeans. Last year I was saving every penny but I don't mind spending a bit more on kit this year.
Combat trousers is winter wear, cut off below the knee combat shorts for summer weather (get the right shorts they look smart and professional (any old shorts I agree do not look good)

I have been wearing steel toes caps all day with shorts, I look like a work man in uniform thats all.

Ian

Ian Rochester

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 07:03:20 pm »
Logo on T shirts/Vests/Polo Tops, Craghopper trousers in the winter with walking shoes, Craghopper shorts in the summer with walking shoes.

If we are on a building site or elsewhere similar then it's trousers and safety shoes.

colley614

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 07:04:54 pm »
yeah but I've got knots in cotton so I don't think I will be getting many wolf whistles.  ;D

I'm gonna have a look around and see what other guys in my area are wearing. I'm sure one firm wears combat shorts that look smart. I'll have a look around and see whats in my local work wear store. I'm sure I'll find something to get me away from these horrible jeans.

mr D

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 07:26:22 pm »
shorts are a must!!! must i say must!!!

Spursboy1972

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 07:35:57 pm »
I wear smart cargo shorts. Will always wear them. I wear north face mid trekking trainers in the summer. They are still gortex lined. I agree as the posties are alowed so should we. You can still look professional in shorts if its done right.

However 3qtr lengths are a big no no!!!!
Clear Vision~"The Difference is Clear"

Southampton- Hampshire

Sanity

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 08:02:01 pm »
I need to get some smart shorts.  2 uniforms.  One summer and one winter.  (winter = overalls + bodywarmer with rigger boots)  (Summer = polo shirt, shorts and walking steelies)

colley614

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 08:04:09 pm »
I've just thought. It may be a good idea to ask some of my customers what they would think of our summer uniform being shorts. If I got a lot of negative feedback then I would have to leave it.

NWH

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 08:26:10 pm »
no, we wear trousers all year round - you can get some really light, breathable trousers.
I use craghopper trousers all year round,no the same pair of course lol.You don`t no you`ve got them on there so light,the ones you want are the solar dry ones which are ideal for summer.For the winter they do a fleece lined version.

colley614

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 08:30:34 pm »
I use craghopper trousers all year round,no the same pair of course lol.You don`t no you`ve got them on there so light,the ones you want are the solar dry ones which are ideal for summer.For the winter they do a fleece lined version.

What are craghopper if you don't mind me asking?

Ian W

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 09:36:13 pm »
I wear shorts all the time during the summer, but only do domestic. They are navy blue shorts made by Dickies, so you can even get them at Halfords and Screwfix. They look smart and I have never had any negative comments.
Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible.
Charles Dickens

NWH

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2008, 09:42:11 pm »

What are craghopper if you don't mind me asking?
It`s the make,you can get them from millets or blacks.

Sir Squeaky

Re: gays with uniforms.
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2008, 10:07:27 pm »
I've just thought. It may be a good idea to ask some of my customers what they would think of our summer uniform being shorts. If I got a lot of negative feedback then I would have to leave it.
No customer worth having anything to do with is going to give a toss what you're wearing.

They just want a good job doing.

simon knight

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2008, 02:52:10 pm »

Shorts, tee-shirt and deck shoes in this weather. Stuff what anybody thinks 8)

Tosh

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2008, 05:06:21 pm »
No customer worth having anything to do with is going to give a toss what you're wearing.

Squeaks,

You're dead wrong here.

I've worn a uniform all my working life, firstly for 17 years in the army, then as a window cleaner.  Perception and first impressions count; fact.

I'm sure that when Wor Lass and I turn up to quote for a property that the customer firstly feels safe because we don't look like 'dodgy geezers' or fly-by-nights; we both dress the same; and I do realise that it looks a bit poncy.  Now-and-again when we're in 'uniform' and shopping in Tescos, she'll hold my hand, and I'll have to remind her not to, 'cos we're in uniform!

(I don't really care to be honest, but I've got a 'Geordie image' to keep up.)

But more importantly, when you're clean shaven, washed and smartly dressed (even if it is a window cleaner's uniform), it gives you more confidence when you stick a good price in. 

You've got a lovely van; it looks the part - but shame about your dress; and should I really be telling you this when you're my competition?

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2008, 05:10:17 pm »

Squeaks,

You're dead wrong here.

I've worn a uniform all my working life, firstly for 17 years in the army, then as a window cleaner.  Perception and first impressions count; fact.

I'm sure that when Wor Lass and I turn up to quote for a property that the customer firstly feels safe because we don't look like 'dodgy geezers' or fly-by-nights; we both dress the same; and I do realise that it looks a bit poncy.  Now-and-again when we're in 'uniform' and shopping in Tescos, she'll hold my hand, and I'll have to remind her not to, 'cos we're in uniform!

But more importantly, when you're clean shaven, washed and smartly dressed (even if it is a window cleaner's uniform), it gives you more confidence when you stick a good price in. 

You've got a lovely van; it looks the part - but shame about your dress; and should I really be telling you this when you're my competition?

That is a very good point just made there squeaky, and for less than £50 you can look the part.

Ian

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2008, 05:38:58 pm »

Squeaks,

You're dead wrong here.

That is a very good point just made there squeaky, and for less than £50 you can look the part.

Ian
Don't you mean look a "part" ;D

Never going to get any attention from babes wearing window cleaning uniform.  :o

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2008, 05:44:57 pm »

Squeaks,

You're dead wrong here.

Ian
Don't you mean look a "part" ;D

Never going to get any attention from babes wearing window cleaning uniform.  :o
depends I guess on what you have on the uniform.

I was waiting for a good reply from you, and you never fail to make me laugh  ;)

simon knight

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2008, 06:35:21 pm »

I suppose it depends on the sort of biz you're after. If you're trying to get commercial then I reckon a uniform is probably an asset.

If you're into res only then I feel a uniform would actually be a hinderance because a uniform smacks of a company, and most people would rather give their trade to the small guy.

Naturally ones morning routine must be, poo, shower, shave, brush teeth, loads of deodorant and clean clothes.

Nobody wants a smelly window cleaner ;D

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2008, 06:58:24 pm »

I suppose it depends on the sort of biz you're after. If you're trying to get commercial then I reckon a uniform is probably an asset.

If you're into res only then I feel a uniform would actually be a hinderance because a uniform smacks of a company, and most people would rather give their trade to the small guy.

Naturally ones morning routine must be, poo, shower, shave, brush teeth, loads of deodorant and clean clothes.

Nobody wants a smelly window cleaner ;D
Spot on mate. ;)

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2008, 07:20:52 pm »
God, the work i've lost already because my shorts came from Tesco's  ::)

What is it with uniforms? There's no need surely? half the customers are out anyway and i'm sure if i dressed like a Macdonalds employee it would make no difference.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2008, 07:47:08 pm »
It's about image - how the public perceive you.  A good, signwritten van and a uniform that reflects the van signage is worth thousands of pounds a year.

I've lost track of the compliments we receive about our "professional" image.  It gives an immediate feeling of confidence to people who see it, and that leads to far more enquiries than the competition ;)

simon knight

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2008, 08:16:53 pm »

Ian it's advertising short and simple.  Public perception is:  "You're a window cleaner...ok you're a window cleaner who wears a uniform."

If wearing a uniform gets you more enquiries then obviously wear one...be silly not to!

My "uniform" is: shorts, tee-shirt and deck shoes...summer.
                          sweat shirt, jeans and trainers...winter.

I get loads of enquiries...they all come from recs (I don't think I get recs cos of my sexy legs ;D)

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2008, 11:05:30 pm »
Nothing wrong with shorts during summer but be sensible, one colour and not too long or too short. You can also now get safety trainers so you cover all bases.
If you have a seriously good commercial contract then wear trousers for that job alone.
The trick here is to second guess what the 'payer' expects to see. If you were the MD of ICI would you be pleased to see people working on your buildings wearing designer trainers, Union Jack shorts and vest top?

TVCS

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2008, 08:46:57 am »
we wear uniform, well embroidered shirts and smart ish trousers.  When I see the dole boys in there white shell suits and backwards caps with a fAg hanging from the corner of their gobs I think I would not want those boys wandering around my property. 
First impressions count for alot.  what does a few embroidered shirts cost.  Not much but you get alot back for a small investment.  Custies comment on it. 
To many dodgy window wipers out their to be tarred with.
Veni, vidi, vino, splatus.

(I came, I saw, I drank, I fell over...)

TVCS

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2008, 12:55:02 pm »
Handbags anyone??

;D ;D
Veni, vidi, vino, splatus.

(I came, I saw, I drank, I fell over...)

simon knight

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2008, 01:07:22 pm »
Handbags anyone??

;D ;D

I'm not getting involved in this one. Anybody who drinks Brains gets my utmost respect ;D

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2008, 06:58:25 pm »
Shame he didn't get to see my reply now. ;D
Not that he would admit it if he had. ;)

Still, I can't be doing with abuse on here, especially from someone I actually know.
But clearly doesn't know me...

jeff1

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2008, 10:28:04 pm »
Well myself the boss and my daughter all wear embroidered polo shirts, and in the summer we all wear shorts below the knee with the company name and logo on an embroidered badge.
The boss has her own embroidery machine so cost nothing to look smart.

When we drove up our own road  one day last week there were 3 window cleaners doing a couple of houses, and they all looked pretty rough, baseball caps cut off jeans that were all frayed one had a white T-shirt on with tiny sleeves hairy arm pits and his T-shirt was full of holes, is that the type of image I want for my company ''NO Thanks''

jonah

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2008, 10:32:27 pm »
Well myself the boss and my daughter all wear embroidered polo shirts, and in the summer we all wear shorts below the knee with the company name and logo on an embroidered badge.

When we drove up our own road  one day last week there were 3 window cleaners doing a couple of houses, and they all looked pretty rough, baseball caps cut off jeans that were all frayed one had a white T-shirt on with tiny sleeves hairy arm pits and his T-shirt was full of holes, is that the type of image I want for my company ''NO Thanks''
You must have been driving at 10 mph to notice all that ! How many cars were behind you ? LOL

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2008, 10:37:15 pm »
I clean M&S inside and out twice a week in shorts, trainers and a designer stuble.

But I do wear a logo'd t-shirt or a logo'd hi viz top.

jeff1

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2008, 10:55:32 pm »

You must have been driving at 10 mph to notice all that ! How many cars were behind you ? LOL
I was slowing down to turn into my drive and there were 3 of us in my car. so yes I was driving around 10mph

jeff1

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2008, 11:23:34 pm »
I wouldn't touch any of my neighbours houses, I don't work in my own road, I suppose if they can't get a smart company to do it, then they have to make do with the scruffs.
I know I wouldn't want them on my property.

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2008, 01:33:17 am »
dont need a uniform,would look a right tit in one,just need tidy pair of jeans and nice shirt in summer,in winter i have that many layers on you only  notice my tidy fleece,dont need sign written van or canvassing,people know im a window cleaner when they see me up the ladder,cant stop picking new work up,all near to my existing work.
Good outlook then for business  ::)

Dave Turley

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2008, 09:10:26 am »
hi guys and sorry I haven't bought my handbag.

i've been wearing a uniform for about 3 months now and have had a smartish van for 6 months (sadly still haven't got around to sign writing though)

I think your appearance can give prospective customers a sense of confidence about you and your quality of work before you even get to their front door, which makes it easier to get a better price.

I want to look smart because I target larger houses and small commercials.

in the last 2 weeks i've been told that i'm "a smart old window cleaner"  by a prospective custy and have also been asked how many people I have working for me by another.

I got both of the jobs at a decent price.

this is how I want to run my business but I don't look down on others who wear jeans and a t-shirt or whatever. (like my brother and step-dad)

oh, and i'm wearing smart shorts for the summer cos it's too darn hot not too.

each to their own I reckon

:)

pingu

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2008, 09:18:17 am »
It does seems that shorts brings out various views...why is it that in the UK shorts are seen as non workwear by some....???

Dave.

elite mike

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2008, 12:43:49 pm »
i reckon a white leather thong ,with a hiviz hat

sorry everyone ime being silly

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2008, 06:19:23 pm »
Reference what Tosh said I think he missed the point about the van. Getting the van was brilliant, by far the only sensible thing I've ever seen him do. But this wasn't something that was thought through. The ball took a deflection and ended up in the back of the net almost by accident.

Don't try and extrapolate that into the guy must have some business brains....

AuRavelling79

« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2008, 09:19:16 pm »
Reference what Tosh said I think he missed the point about the van. Getting the van was brilliant, by far the only sensible thing I've ever seen him do. But this wasn't something that was thought through. The ball took a deflection and ended up in the back of the net almost by accident.

Don't try and extrapolate that into the guy must have some business brains....

Absolutely on the money DWC!
It's a game of three halves!

« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2008, 09:25:52 pm »
dont need a uniform,would look a right tit in one,just need tidy pair of jeans and nice shirt in summer,in winter i have that many layers on you only  notice my tidy fleece,dont need sign written van or canvassing,people know im a window cleaner when they see me up the ladder,cant stop picking new work up,all near to my existing work.
Good outlook then for business  ::)
wish there were 5 weeks in a month with the work ive got,im always behind.
I too wish there was more weeks in a month. We wear a uniform for company image, and also makes me more confident about going after bigger jobs looking the part can really help sometimes.

Ian