cybersye

ammonia?
« on: August 01, 2006, 07:05:14 pm »
Sorry, this is just a follow on from the "what equipment do you use?"  thread, but i had a question about ammonia.
Someone said on there it was not allowed for window cleaning. why? and who says so?
I've heard of someone in oz swearing by cloudy ammonia as giving a brilliant shine smear free though I cant find any , only the regular stuff, mixed a capful in my bucket with pure water, a dash of fairy and a sqeeze of rinse aid, mmmmmm tastey, results seem good, any one else do any thing like this?
thanks
Simon

KJG

Re: ammonia?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 11:16:35 pm »
I've used ammo since I started 25 years ago. I've not heard anything about it not being allowed. You probably won't get a more H&S conscious firm than Cadbury's but I used to use it there with no problems, it would have been clearly listed on the risk and method statements too.

I don't know what 'cloudy ammo' is though, never heard of it until coming on this forum. The stuff I use is clear and 30%.

Your Oz bloke is right about the shine and no smears. It also cuts through any greasy dirt from machine shop oil to sticky forehead and finger prints. It eats nicotine for breakfast and adds a glide to blading. The only down side is the smell - which I quite like after all these years ???

cybersye

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 11:42:40 pm »
cool mate cheers,
I was puzzled too by the comment of it not being allowed, not that it really bothers me just that no explanation was given.
Is 30 % the mix with water you use? do you add anything else?

KJG

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 11:55:57 pm »
No, the 30% is the concentration or 'proof' if you like, it varies with suppliers. I add about half a tea cup of ammo to a standard bucket of water two thirds full - with some Fairy liquid of course.

cybersye

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 12:42:32 am »
ok, thanks thats pretty much what i did anyway, got something right for once ;D

carl stanton

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 10:16:52 am »
sorry i think it was me that said not 'allowed' though i did not state it and said i 'think' and asked to be corrected!
sorry for any bother,
why not try mix without rinse aid as the ammonia may or may not render no need to use it?? worth a try.

i shall now take my self into a corner and slap myself!!  :-X   :'(   ;D

mlscontractcleaner

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 11:37:52 am »
I use a liquid called Ubik. You get the same results without the wet nappy smell!!
Come and talk dirty to us!!!

carl stanton

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 01:55:01 pm »
what if you but some lurvelly smelly stuff with the amonia??
oh sooo pretty  :P    ;D

dougster

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 11:12:07 pm »
where do you purchase ubik please