vivaro 013

flow regulator
« on: July 31, 2006, 08:37:59 pm »
what benifits do you get from having a varistream or similar systems fitted to wfp systems , can a systems work ok not having one fitted

P @ F

Re: flow regulator
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 09:50:24 pm »
Yes they do work ok , but you will get through a bit of water if you have no way of controling the flow , you will need one of these on your hose to sort this

Rich   P @ F
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 10:01:16 pm »
what benifits do you get from having a varistream or similar systems fitted to wfp systems , can a systems work ok not having one fitted

Tolwoods,

I think you have four options:

1.  No flow control.

2.  A varistream.

3.   A flow restrictor (such as is shown in P & F's picture above).

4.  A flow restrictor with a pump bypass.

Using no flow control will mean that you will pump water out at a huge rate of knots.  My 60 psi shurflo will emit 7 litres per minute, when I think 2 litres is enough for me.  If I had a 650 litre van-mounted system, then this wouldn't be a problem.

A varistream, from the posts I've read here, seems to be the best option.  I haven't a clue how to fit one though.

A flow restrictor will reduce your water output, but it may also damage your pump, since your pump is attempting to take more water in, than what it's pushing out.  When I attempted to restrict my pump with a ball valve I found it 'cycled' (it pulsed and didn't sound very healthy and my water jetted on and off; like a heart beat).

A flow restrictor with a pump by pass works, if you can do it.  I've seen a comercially produced one (Peter Fogwills) and that worked fine.  My poor attempt was useless; but if you're good at DIY stuff, this may be a good option; especially if you're on a budget.

E-Mail Matt (that's his user name) and he'll show you how to do this.

I hope this helps.

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 10:58:42 pm »
tosh easy peasy to fit mate you have a red for the batt + and a black for the batt - then a red for your + on pump and a black for - on pump easy the varistream is labbeled so you know which goes where

P @ F

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 11:32:14 pm »
I have a return to tank valve fitted on my van mount , this saves me the need for the varistream .

Any water that isnt used or wanted simply flows back to tank .

Rich   P @ F

I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !