matt

FAO mike boxall
« on: July 28, 2006, 08:46:41 pm »
just a quick 1 mike

first off,

after my short ban, can i just clarify a few things

i now understand i cannot link to the DIY site

is it ok for me to mention the DIY site ?? ??

as for example tonight

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=22370.0

i have a pic of a simple by-pass valve, ideal for what the guy wants in the thread, now normally i would just link to the thread (i understand this is against your wishes)

as ive "watermarked the pic" i cannot post the pic either

can i just mention the DIY site and let him find his own way to it

can i ask him to e.mail for a link

what would you prefere

i understand you pay the bills and its wrong to have rival boards try and poach users (though i must say, the DIY forum wasnt set-up to be a rival, (and never wil be, as its such a small nich), just a forum with all the question asked and answered in 1 small place)

i await your responce

poleman

Re: FAO mike boxall
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 09:17:06 pm »
You been banned!  :o not the first time then  ;D

Andy 

dai

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 10:03:04 pm »
Matt, I would take your ban as a compliment of the highest order. The more someone tries to ban something the more people want to see it.
Is this an attempt to stifle innovation?
I can see that if a large manufacturer stocks up on expensive parts, and someone comes up with an idea that renders them obsolete over night, they won't be best pleased. I am working on an idea at the moment that would do this to Peters auto brush. I have nothing against this guy, just thought of a better way of flow control.
Why should I not develope it for the benefit of all? Dai

matt

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 10:34:18 pm »

Andy 

quick, go and tell your buddies they can all laugh

::) ::) ::)

matt

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 10:39:23 pm »
Matt, I would take your ban as a compliment of the highest order. The more someone tries to ban something the more people want to see it.
Is this an attempt to stifle innovation?
I can see that if a large manufacturer stocks up on expensive parts, and someone comes up with an idea that renders them obsolete over night, they won't be best pleased. I am working on an idea at the moment that would do this to Peters auto brush. I have nothing against this guy, just thought of a better way of flow control.
Why should I not develope it for the benefit of all? Dai

to be honest dai, i only come on here to help others, and i feel i achive that to a degree

the ban was only for the day, and i now want to tow the line so to speak, i have nothing against Mike, he runs a great helpfull forum here, its a forum i feel part of, unlike others who have the little "groups" that if your not part of, your not welcome

poleman

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 12:06:02 am »

Andy 

quick, go and tell your buddies they can all laugh

::) ::) ::)

They have all gone fishing  ;D

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 06:56:49 am »
Maybe I can post a link if you cannot, lets try. Not sure if its the right pic.
http://d.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=265 ok its worked for now.
Thinking things thro we all have a favorite forum and believe they are all free and without control. I posted a section that had a full list of all the other forums that I new about, including a USA link . One day it had all dissappeared. It took time to do and I was peeved because I thought that the forum was un biased.
But maybe all the operators of all forums dislike competittion after all, unlike your goodself Matt.  ::)
Taking up on your little groups, maybe we are all a bit guilty of who we prefer to talk to whatever forum you are on. Its difficult to keep track of so many people so tend to remember the ones you talk to most and classify as friends even though we have never met.
It is annoying and sad though being "controlled" and not being abl;e to put in links.

jeff1

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 07:01:00 am »
HI Matt
So does this mean that no one else can put in your link,
I have on several occations, along with a few others,

I have my own forum but have never put a link to it, or even mentioned it on this site.  but on my own forum I have a link to this site, if this is the case were we can't put links to other sites I will take up the same policy on my own forum and delete the link to this forum, I stongly thought we were here to help others, Now with a link ban, you are going to have to make it clear to members what is banned and what isn't

whenever I have put a link on this board it has soley been for the benfit for others, is this forum becoming so rule bound we have already had threads locked because they mentioned bad point on suppliers.

I come to this forum every day but I also go to several other forums, and this is by far the best one, so you don't loose members on a Permanent  basis just for a couple of hours is this a bad thing, if the sponsors of this site are so worried about loosing trade then I suggest they give us a there links and I can put them on at least three other forums free of charge, but I can tell them now they won't get anywere near the same traffic as they do here.

are we not allowed to put links to other suppliers as this may upset sponsers. 

I for one think matt has a brilliant site, and its there to help the DIY minded wc, I personally will be takeing matts route when I go wfp, but I will still have to buy the parts from different suppliers, and all the advice I get for the best supplier will come from the guy's on this forum.

I could go on forever but I think I have said enough, but I do await an honest reply

jeff1

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 08:40:55 am »
Hi Poleman
Thanks for the link, its one of the best sites I've ever seen ;D ;D

Morph

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2006, 08:56:55 am »
Here's a missing link:   T O S H      ;D

Trevor Knight

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2006, 09:50:45 am »
Until I have received clear instructions from the "Boss" regarding the posting of links to other forums etc... I have deleted any such postings.

I will try to find out where we all stand ASAP.

Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2006, 10:18:54 am »
Matt

Can  you tell us why you were banned

Dave

matt

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2006, 11:09:02 am »
Matt

Can  you tell us why you were banned

Dave

as i said in the firs post, because mike had asked me to stop posting links to DIY forum, and on the odd occasion i still did

this is the reason for the post, as i want to know if i can mention the DIY forum, ask people to e.mail me for it

the example in the first post of this is very apt, the solution to his problem is a by-pass vavle, i have a pic of it all set up, and he can then read about it on the DIY forum

this post wasnt meant to be a arguementative post, just a post to ask what he would prefere

i can understand links to rival lesser quality forums, afterall they live in the shadows of this place, but the DIY forums isnt meant to be like that, its just a small place for likeminded DIY users

poleman

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2006, 11:10:00 am »
Thats a first! had a post deleted ;D better be a good boy, dont wont to get banned :-X

Andy

steve m

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2006, 12:49:41 pm »
OHHH PLEASE are all you moderators that naive that you think that we all go on one forum only. We all go on all the forums to see whats about. Yes some are more popular than others, but thats peoples preference, not the fact that we dont know they are there so please please letm people post links from other sites if its going to do someone a good turn and save then ten minutes typeing it all out again

jeff1

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2006, 01:20:16 pm »
Thats a first! had a post deleted ;D better be a good boy, dont wont to get banned :-X

Andy
Hi Andy I would'nt have minded, but I followed the link you posted and it went nowere. ::) ::) should have deleted PJ's link as well

poleman

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2006, 01:36:44 pm »
I agree Jeff, I use to be a Mod on cleaning-pros and was never this bad, think there has only been 2 banned and one was vote rigging for a power pole :o

Andy

jeff1

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2006, 03:34:26 pm »
Andy its a shame because its a bl**dy good forum and I can fully understand when you get other suppliers come on and try to sell there ware's, that mike gets upset, as he has to answer to his sponsers, but for links to a site that has no affect on the forum I just can't understand.

poleman

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2006, 04:14:32 pm »
I agree its a good forum...we should all go on strike in support of Matt  ;D

Andy

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2006, 04:55:45 pm »
Matt,

I think your site is great too; it certainly helped me; not just with the kit, but with understanding the process.  (I subsequently found Alex G, Gardiner Pole's site, which is also excellent).

I know it's not rocket science, but unless it's explained, like it is at your site, then it's difficult to make sense of using a WFP and all the paraphanalia in the beggining.

Remember, I did make a donation, which you spent on pizza. ;)

Anyway, I think you did go through a phase of heavily advertising your thread here, which pee'd Mike off a bit.

I reckon if you just suggested in posts, where appropriate that they could be better off with a self-build option, and to e-mail you for further details; that'd work.